博士学位研究生入学考试 eEn_aX  
V#!ypX]AB[  
英语试题 n<CJx+U  
5vY h~|  
2001年3月 %>i7A?L  
e=Kv[R'(M  
考生须知: 5S$HDO&  
8Mg4y1)RU  
一、本次考试题卷由试卷一(PAPER ONE)和试卷二(PAPER TWO)两部分组成。 试卷一为90道客观题,答卷使用标准化机读答题纸;试卷二为主观题,答卷使用另一答题纸。 q PE(Lt1  
Q|gu n}  
二、请一律用HB或2B铅笔涂写标准化机读答题纸,修改时请用橡皮擦干净。若误用其它笔种而导致计算机无法识别,责任由考生自负。 ; Z61|@Y  
2k"a%#H8  
三、请按答题注意事项要求逐项填涂标准化机读答题纸。涂写不得过细或过短。 :c)<B@NqNo  
>o 3X)  
四、请保持标准化机读答题纸清洁、无折皱。切忌折叠。 2I?HBz1v  
=JO|m5z8>  
五、本考卷满分为100分,全部考试时间总计180分钟。分值及时间分布如下: U]hQ#a+  
kc8GnKM&mc  
试卷一: <mY`<(bc  
J-?\,N1R7  
  听力 z8Dn<h  
1 5 分 }~QB2&3  
20分钟 5Tu#o ()  
.[2MPjg  
结构词汇 -& ,NM  
1 5 分 ;%dkwKO  
25分钟 `Q(ac| 0  
'b661,+d  
综合填空 hD >:WJ  
1 5 分  QV .A.DK  
15分钟 bk6$+T=>  
{]D!@87  
阅读 j~Gu;%tq  
3 0 分 g=U?{<8.m  
60分钟 -'}iK6  
mH{cGu?  
小计 ]NFDE-Jz]  
7 5 分 Plq [Ml9  
120分钟 29qQ3M?  
iBo-ANnK9  
o~4n8  
试卷二: c(Ha"tBJ  
nr-mf]W&  
  汉译英 b$$XriD]  
1 0 分 yPQ{tS*t  
2 5分钟 *e>:K$r  
w x,;  
写作 +z[!]^H]4  
1 5 分 !k s<VJh  
3 5分钟 _b5iR<f  
zcZw}  
小计 S~TJF}[k^6  
2 5 分 3\WES!  
60分钟 AQV3ZVP  
hT]p8m aRZ  
qt:->yiq+  
  _$cBI_eA7  
KJ#c(yb9zR  
The Chinese Academy of Sciences n=>Gu9`  
785iY865  
English Entrance Examination-For Doctoral Candidates 6h,'#|:d  
C`#N Q*O  
March 2001 aLq;a  
5;Z~+$1  
PAPER ONE *&PgDAQ  
zSH#j RDV  
PART I LISTENING COMPREHENSION (20 minutes, 15 points) Lf:Z (Z>  
a;zcAeX  
(略) 8`~]9ej  
k^]~NP  
PART II STRUCTURE & VOCABULARY (25 minutes, 15 points) p4Y 9$(X  
C;ye%&g>  
Section A (0.5 point each) gi6_la+  
aF=VJ+5  
Directions: Choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. =ht@7z8QM  
`WT7w']NT  
16. He gave me a lot of help in my work, so I have to my success to him. hJ@nW5CI  
k8JPu"R  
A. grant B. ascribe q ^gEA5  
RW)C<g  
C. commit D. submit 4jW{IGW  
FdqUv% (Em  
17.It is well known that the first can only work hard planting young trees for a new business, while the following people may obtain the successful fruits. f,#xicSB*  
x'qgpG}?]  
A. practitioners B. amateurs GND[f}  
<gy'@w?  
C. forerunners D. managers T,fz/5w  
]3C8  
18. The honest journalist has kept investigating that high rank official for a long time, and he felt very happy when that fellow's corrupt scandal at last. GM/1u fZH  
qrkT 7f  
A. got to light B. stood in light uz#9w\="  
5ZVTI,4K  
C. came to light D. looked in light &g!/@*[Nhh  
M@\'Y$)Y{  
19. The Minister's answer let to an outcry from the Opposition. 'w2;oO  
?zEF?LJoK  
A. impressive B. evasive d#\n)eGr  
>g&`g}xZQ  
C. intensive D. amusive X3[!xMij  
wO#+8js  
20. The old gentleman to be an old friend of his grandfather's. Nz;;X\G I  
U6Ak"  
A. turned in B. turned over hbeC|_+   
(=j!P*  
C. turned up D. turned out 4B`Rz1QBy  
5qy}~dQ  
21. The rules stated that anyone who had held office for three years was not for re-election. eW0=m:6  
9K|lU:,  
A. admirable B. eligible 1RA$hW@}  
PS6`o  
C. reliable D. capable Pc'?p  
l'QR2r7&.  
22. I feel very sad that the young man's energetic initiative with nothing in the experiment, for he met a lot of interference from the powerful authority. ]B4mm__  
iC-ABOOu{l  
A. burned up B. tuned up #=(op?]  
1!3kAcBP  
C. pushed up D. ended up fP58$pwu  
Gq/6{eRo\  
23. We were politely an armed guard and warned not to take pictures. fh#_Mj+y  
"ux]kfoT  
A. assigned B. allowed {R;M`EU>  
8n5nHne  
C. accepted D. assisted "\;wMR{  
#~;8#!X  
24.The recovery and of the country's economy has also been accompanied by increasing demands for high quality industrial sites in attractive locations. @88i/ Z_  
^z^e*<{WEl  
A. renewal B. revival X vMG09  
]0 RXo3  
C. recession D. relief 493i*j5r)l  
~qxXou,J  
25. In fact the purchasing power of a single person's pension in Hong Kong was only 70 per cent of the value of the Singapore pension. e oSM@Isu  
UUu-(H-J  
A. equivalent B. similar /v4S@SQ+  
<0)ud)~u  
C. consistent D. identical ?i2Wst  
?7)(qnbe"  
26. It seems a reasonable rule of thumb that any genuine offer of help and support from people or organizations will be accompanied by a name and address, and a willingness to be as to their motive in making contact. Wx$q: $h@q  
K#hYbDm  
A. seen through B. checked out Lo5@zNt%W  
Xj~EVD  
C. touched on D. accounted to @B[Cc`IN"  
) Zo_6%  
27. According to *** boxing reporter Mike Costello, just as there is worldwide with boxing, so there is worldwide opposition. L8wcH  
heZy 66  
A. passion B. attraction 6\fMzm  
"%''k~UD 4  
C. emotion D. fascination nVn|$ "r  
rn: zKTyhw  
28. Although there are several variations on the exact format that worksheets can take, they are all similar in their aspects. jS3(>  
HJaw\zbL  
A. potential B. social `k]!6osZo  
2 ?- 07g  
C. essential D. partial w&yGYHg  
1Uemsx%'k  
29. any advice which you can get from the interviewer and follow up suggestions for improving your presentation and qualifications. hMeqs+  
1i/::4=  
A. Take the most of B. Keep the most of T<+ht8&M8  
Th^(f@.w  
C. Have the most of D. Make the most of ' -9>LvLU  
MziZN^(  
30. There is a loss of self-confidence, a sense of personal failure, great anger and a feeling of being utterly . QhX C>)PW  
MuoctW  
A. let alone B. let out ^+%tlX_+.  
jc&/}o$K  
C. let down D. let on +rsl( 08FY  
J, 0pe\5  
31. Japan remains tied to the Western camp partly because the relationship has become to her economy and politics over forty years' association. !/6\m!e|1R  
;EJPrDHTk  
A. integral B. unilateral 8pk#sJ51  
P}hY {y'  
C. rational D. hierarchical b H"}w$!>r  
vS$oT]-hKE  
32. With most online recruitment services, jobseekers must choose their words carefully the search engine will never make the correct match. dY/u<4  
p,w|=@=  
A. because B. whereas Zj1ZU[BEcL  
f2 ydL/M,  
C. provided D. otherwise !@pV)RUv7  
Dd0Qp-:2  
33. The child should always the same basic procedure: seeing the whole word--hearing and pronouncing--writing from memory. Q+b.-iWR  
mQJ4;BJw  
A. go through B. take over p@/(.uE  
}dX/Y /  
C. respond to D. carry off' r(: 8!=~K  
/v"6BU  
34. That MGM Grand Youth Center is open to children 3-12 years old what hotel they are staying in. @7@e`b?  
L\b]k,Ksf  
A. regardless in B. regardless of hN gpp-  
! Ea&]G  
C. regardless on D. regardless from bQwdgc),s{  
)L |tn  
35. Ever since Geoffrey sent a sizeable cheque to a well-known charity he's been with requests for money from all sides. *o02!EYge  
g7xb yB o7  
A. devastated B. smashed \6 \hnP  
oGm1d{_-O  
C. bombarded D. cracked 3 sZ,|,ueD  
,b<9?PM  
Section B (0.5 point each) 5<89Af&&K8  
<S]KaDu^  
Directions: In each of the following sentences there are four parts underlined and marked A, B, C, and D. Indicate which Of the four parts is incorrectly used. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice by drawing a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. HEBqv+bG  
M#OH Y *  
36. The opinion polls were showing(A) 76 percent of the responders( more concerned about the shambles of American education(C) than about any other problem on(D) the political agenda.  =/6p#d*0  
\Yj#2ww  
37. Kenny G is not a musician(A) I really had much of ( an opinion about him(C) until recently(D). WP5VcBC  
8 +"10q-  
38. I was twenty-five years old, and I'd just been laid down(A) from my job as division( manager at(C) a mortgage banking(D) firm. 4|nQ=bIau  
yeh8z:5Z O  
39. We knew so little(A) about equipments( , disposal(C) techniques, the whole thing(D). ^vpIZjN  
bxAsV/j  
40. It was so disgusted(A), and somewhat hazardous( , not to mention(C) a huge hassle and monetary expense(D). ZA0i)(j*Mn  
UqN{JG:#.  
41. Of course, I am aware of(A) what he has played since( , the success he has had(C), and the controversy(D) has surrounded him among musicians and serious listeners. dCE\^q[{  
rO0ZtC{K  
42. That抯 not saying(A) it's easy, though( . There are definitely(C) jobs that wore on(D) you. ;a  |`s  
[s~JceUyX  
43. Perhaps not surprisingly(A), the colleagues whom I thought less high( , and whom I portrayed less admiringly(C), did not share my view(D). k({2yc#RD&  
m}98bw  
44. The Times, financially(A) successful it may be( , is a powerful but(C), at this moment, not very healthy institution(D). 4E2yH6l  
F\5X7 ditD  
45. Having imposed temporary sentences(A) of unprecedented( severity on the five defendants who pleaded guilt(C), the judge told them that their actual sentences might depend on their cooperation with(D) subsequent investigations. #+9rjq:v#]  
R'SBd}1  
PART III CLOZE TEST (15 minutes, 15 points) R :"+ #Sq  
S?L#N  
Directions: For each blank in the following passage, choose the best answer from the four choices given in the opposite column. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. eJ)1K  
SB TPTb  
When we think about addiction to drags or alcohol, we frequently focus on negative aspects, ignoring the pleasures that accompany drinking or drug-taking. 46 the essence of any serious addiction is a pursuit of pleasure, a search for a "high" that normal life does not 47 . It is only the inability to function 48 the addictive substance that is dismaying, the dependence of the organism upon a certain experience and a .49 inability to function normally without it. Thus a person will take two or three 50 at the end of the day not merely for the pleasure drinking provides, but also because he "doesn't feel 51 without them.. :r&iM b:Ra  
,9mgY p2  
52 does not merely pursue a pleasurable experience and need to 53 it in order to function normally. He needs to repeat it again and again. Something about that particular experience makes life without it 54 complete. Other potentially pleasurable experiences are no longer possible, 55 under the spell of the addictive experience, his life is peculiarly 56. The addict craves an experience and yet he is never really satisfied. The organism may be 57 _sated, but soon it begins to crave again. h3kaD  
9R QU?  
Finally a serious addiction is58 a harmless pursuit of pleasure by Its distinctly destructive elements. A heroin addict, for instance, leads a 59 life: his increasing need for heroin in increasing doses prevents him from working, from maintaining relationships, from developing in human ways. 60 an alcoholic's life is narrowed and dehumanized by his dependence on alcohol. # :#M{1I  
D*\v0=P'?  
46. A. Hence B. Because ?q _^Rj$  
_.{zpF=j  
C. And yet D. Moreover mQ}Gh_'ps  
+3;Ody"59  
47. A. supply B. resume }B0sC%cm  
>GXXjAIu/  
C. accept D. prevent :&qhJtGo  
~-_i  
48. A. except B. without #{$1z;i?f  
wiJRCH  
C. with D. besides qbiK^g R  
ZQAO"huk]  
49. A. frustrating B. surprising X&a:g  
%<} <'V0  
C. unchanging D. increasing *KJB>W%@uM  
pYo=oI  
50. A. drags B. drinks zrRFn `B  
#f{lC0~vA  
C. doses D. draughts 0(y:$  
FI"HJwAs  
51. A. normal B. content l%~lz[  
sI,W%I':d  
C. delighted D. spirited PLA#!$c7q  
m\ S\3n  
52. A. A drugtaker B. The addicted icgJ;Q 5  
hJ*Ihwn|  
C. An addict D. The drugger SV.z>p  
n2f6 p<8A  
53. A. perform B. make /_t|Dry015  
lpgd#vr  
C. experience D. initiate 8(f:U@BS  
=\};it{u  
54. A. other than B. rather than 0;<)\Wt=i9  
^/@jwZ  
C. more than D. less than T2FE+A]n9  
,Na^%A@TJ  
55. A. while B. thus V'DA[{\*  
?o*I9 [Z)  
C. even if D. for a.2L*>p  
Y?K{(szo ?  
56. A. distorted B. rectified Vh|\_~9  
W!T"m)S  
C. exaggerated D. improved LWnR?Qve<  
o}$1Ay*q`  
57. A. eventually B. temporarily o-C#|t3hH  
0bS|fMgc  
C. accordingly D. subsequently -0C@hM,wm  
T/1gI9 X  
58. A. identical with B. consistent with L| hx arJ  
LR(-<"  
C. separated from D. distinguished from 5PT5#[  
em{(4!W>  
59. A. destructive B. Dissatisfied ocz G|_  
"N?+VkZEv  
C. damaged D. derivative d5`3wd]]'v  
'' O7=\  
60. A. Similarly B. Conversely r SkUSe6  
,Wbwg  
C. Naturally D. Generally cy yVg!+  
;!!n{l$r'  
PART IV READING COMPREHENSION (60 minutes, 30 points) hrGM|_BE  
wMqX)}>  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. ?L&'- e@  
?W^c4NtP  
Passage 1 KG H/^!u+R  
:L44]K5FL  
It took no time at all for the native Americans who first greeted Christopher Columbus to be all but erased from the face of the earth. For about a thousand years the peaceful people known as the Taino had thrived in modem-day Cuba and many other islands. But less than 30 years after Columbus' arrival, the Taino would be destroyed by Spanish weaponry, forced labor and European diseases. Unlike their distant cousins, the Inca, Aztecs and Maya, the Taino left no pyramids or temples-no obvious signs that they had ever existed. Q/>{f0  
#S&Tkip]"W  
But it is a mistake to assume-as many scholars have until quite recently that the absence of abundant artifacts meant the Taino were necessarily more primitive than the grander civilizations of Central and South America. They simply used less durable materials: the Taino relied on wood for building and most craftwork, and much of what they made has disintegrated over the centuries. However, thanks largely to two remarkable digs undertaken recently, archaeologists will be able to enrich their knowledge of the Taino. J_x13EaV0  
- K9c@?  
In a village on the northern coast of Cuba, a Canadian-Cuban team discovered the nearly intact remains of a Taino dwelling buried in the dirt. This site may have been one of the Taino's major centers. Meanwhile, deep in the forests of the Dominican Republic, a U.S.-Dominican team has also made an important discovery: a 240-ft.-deep Taino cenote, or ceremonial well, where hundreds of objects .thrown in as offerings have been preserved in the oxygen-poor Water. 1cS}J:0P  
S"wR%\NIp  
It will take a much longer time to understand the Taino fully, but they have been rescued from the ignoble status of footnotes in the chapter of history that began with the arrival of Columbus. Lzu.)C@Amx  
)E@A0W  
61. The main idea of Paragraph 1 is  #wL  
?7<JQh)"e  
A. Christopher Columbus returned the Taino's greeting with cruelty. a}%#*J)!  
%3NqSiMs  
B. The Europeans' coming brought an end to the existence of the Taino. 8"sb;  
kY*rb_2j  
C. The Taino once prosperous in modem-day Cuba now has no trace on earth. yW$0\E6<r  
DxUKUE  
D. Spanish weaponry would have crashed the Taino but for Columbus' arrival. ZovW0Q)m  
B!vmQR*1  
62. It is assumed the Taino had a comparatively low civilization mostly because fQ#l3@in  
ma"3qGy  
A. the Taino had produced no written records. emCM\|NQg&  
7;KwLT9  
B. the Taino had built no pyramids mid temples. N5a*7EJv+  
sBr_a5QQ#  
C. there has been little wooden structure the Taino relied on. .zi_[  
1oc3$A  
D. there has been few remains showing the life of the Taino's. N<~t3/Nm  
Q_[ 3`j l  
63. Which statement is true concerning the Taino? vQ;Ex  
V5UF3'3;}  
A. They were enslaved by foreign invaders. ogyTO|V=  
i\,-oO  
B. They were more warlike than other Indians. ,6-:VIHQ  
7@D@ucL  
C. They were the most short-lived of all the civilizations. HMSO=)@+  
8fl`r~bqZ  
D. They were buried deep in the dirt or oxygen-poor water. /;o X)]W  
kqFP)!37  
64. What does the italicized word "ignoble" (in the last sentence) probably mean? <g$~1fa  
4 o Fel.o  
A. unfortunate B. unsuccessful \W~ N  
sB7# ~p A  
C. unpromising D. unworthy h1de[q)  
MN\HDKN  
Passage 2 jIJ~QpNE  
-XB/lnG   
Already lasers can obliterate skin blemishes, topically applied drugs can smooth facial lines and injected agents can remove deep wrinkles. Future products will be faster, borer and longer lasting. "New substances will be developed by entrepreneurs," says Brian Mayou, an aesthetic plastic surgeon, "that will be more successful than liquid silicone that we use today to eradicate wrinkles." The next major breakthrough, says Mel Brahmn, plastic surgeon and chief executive of the Harley Medical Group, will be laser treatment that needs no recovery period. JMC. w!  
fD[*_^;h)  
Nicholas Lowe, clinical professor of dermatology at the University of Los Angeles, adds: "There will be more efficient anti-oxidants to help reduce sun damage and aging. There will also be substances that increase the production of new collagen and elastic tissue to maintain the elasticity of youthful skin." F1*>y  
d3\qKL!~  
Lee Shreider, a research cosmetic chemist, says that we may be able to look better without any kind of operation as semi-permanent make-up gets better. Mk"^?%PxT  
u_oaebOrpP  
"Crooked noses will be improved by effectively sealing on shaded colors that either enhance or subdue areas of the face. We will be able to straighten eyebrows and lips making the face more symmetrical-which remains one of the keys to beauty~and even close blocked pores with permanent, custom-designed foundation." ~%&LTX0s|  
-t!~%_WCv  
The development of the safe sun tan is a potential gold mine. Being researched at the University of Arizona, but a long way from reality, is the injectable tan. Professor Lowe is optimistic: "There will almost certainly be a safe way of developing a sunless tan that protects against sun damage. In animal research, we've applied creams to guinea pigs that can actually 'turn on' some of the genes that produce pigmentation without any sunlight exposure." | )K8N<n  
@>,^":`#  
65. What is the main topic of the passage? >g1~CEMN#  
]_f_w 9]  
A. Inventions in cosmetology. D4eDHq  
P3x8UR=fS  
B. New discovery in face-filling. "L IF.)  
3l rT3a3vV  
C. A bright future for facial make-up. <cps2*'  
we;-~A5J  
D. The development of beauty culture. xQ7l~O b  
IaSR;/  
66. According to the passage, what has been used to remove deep wrinkles? G#ZH.24Y  
8W*%aOi5+  
A. Applied drugs. n\mO6aJ  
,0 M_ Bk"  
B. Liquid silicone. )}Hpi<5N  
Ua:}Vn&!  
C. Laser treatment. f z'@_4hg  
^pp\bVh2Q]  
D. Anti-oxidant. KI"#f$2&  
[_BP )e  
67. Paragraph 4 suggests that one could improve effectively one's appearance concerning the nose, eyebrows, lips, etc. bV^rsJm  
/CrSu  
A. by applying certain lotions. is?{MJZ_  
w'>pY  
B. by having a beauty operation. j*|VctM  
zYH&i6nj  
C. by changing the face shape. /:cd\ A}  
{i;r  
D. by blocking several pores. #|uCgdi  
U7?;UCmX  
68. As implied in the last paragraph, the injectable tan is being researched to meet the demand of the people who ^ gdaa>L  
'NWfBJm  
A. refuse to be exposed to the sun. \;,_S+Fz8  
Sj3+l7S?  
B. refuse to apply suntan creams. l[dK[4  
#$.;'#u'so  
C. want to get a tan for beauty. em y[k  
?>VLTp8]  
D. want to try gene pigmentation. l|u>Tb|V  
]}V<*f  
Passage 3 ncaT?~u j  
x[cL Bc<  
There are faults which age releases us from, and there are virtues, which turn to vices with the lapse of years. The worst of these is thrift, which m early and middle life is wisdom and duty to practice for a provision against destitution. As time goes on this virtue is apt to turn into the ugliest, cruelest, shabbiest of the vices. Then the victim of it finds himself storing past all probable need of saving for himself or those next him, to the deprivation of the remoter kin of the race. In the earlier time when gain was symbolized by gold or silver, the miser had a sensual joy in the touch, of his riches, m hearing the coins clink In their fall through his fingers, and m gloating upon their increase sensible to the hand and eye. Then the miser had his place among the great figures of misdoing; he was of a dramatic effect, like a murderer or a robber; and something of this bad distinction clung to him even when his coins had changed to paper currency, the clean, white notes of the only English bank, or the greenbacks of our innumerable banks of issue; but when the sense of fiches had been transmuted to the balance in his favor at his banker's, or the bonds in his drawer at the safety-deposit vault, all splendor had gone out of his ~ice. His bad eminence was gone, but he clung to the lust of gain which had ranked trim with the picturesque wrong-doers, and which only ruin from without could save him from, unless he gave his remnant of strength to saving himself from it. Most aging men are sensible of all this, but few have the frankness of that aging man who once said that he who died rich died disgraced, and died the other day in the comparative poverty of fifty millions. zrvF]|1UP  
QFA8N  
69. This short passage is mainly to tell that ~]sc^[  
>>,e4s,  
A. man becomes increasingly greedy when getting old. 2_>N/Z4T  
_?nL+\'V  
B. a miser can be honest if he does no wrong act. \P[Y`LYL  
q9B$" n  
C. age can help convert some virtue into a vice. Lw1Yvtn  
59LG{R2  
D. misers all started from trying to be thrifty. d z|or9&  
[z:!j$K  
70. According to the passage, one is thought vicious when he x5pdS:  
'B |JAi?  
A. gathers up money at the sacrifice of all his family members. u*eV@KK!  
7^avpf)>  
B. practices endless thrifty to guard his people from poverty. hDDn,uzpd  
fuW\bo3  
C. stores continuously for his own and his relatives' needs. 6bg ;q(*7  
sJKI!   
D. saves too much but wouldn't spend it for the necessary. Lj({[H7D!  
.xCZ1|+gG  
71. The italicized expression "gloating upon" probably means 4Z3su^XR  
KYm0@O>;  
A. thinking with slight guilt.  $c!p&  
X0HZH?V+  
B. seeing with much satisfaction. 70d1ReQ  
\doUTr R  
C. touching with great awe. "S[450%  
WCZjXDiwJ  
D. hearing with little delight. RNk\.}m  
u[;\y|75  
72. The passage implies that what could stop a miser from lusting for money might be (XTG8W sN  
;nfdGB  
A. his frankness. z _$%-6  
6GlJ>r+n  
B. his eminence. 6yG^p]zZ  
C }j"Qi`  
C. his death. 5{WE~8$  
KfEx"94  
D. his glory. 1ba~SHi  
=j_4S<  
73. The words "in the comparative poverty of fifty millions" at the end of the passage suggests a notion that 9.M4o[  
g}oi!f$|  
A. stinginess may cause a very rich man to die very pitiful. /U*C\ xMm  
`g?Negt\v  
B. rich people may still take 50 million as comparatively little. 2 RX;Ob_  
$99n&t$Y  
C. one remains discontent with all he's gained until his death. NR6#g,+7  
3pROf#M  
D. the rich are inconsiderate of the majority that live in poverty. Qy<P463A(l  
~vhE|f  
Passage 4 p` dU2gV  
FX&~\kmV'j  
If a mother pushes her small son in a swing, giving only a light force each time he returns, eventually he will be swinging quite high. The child can do this for himself by using his legs to increase the motion, but both the mother's push and the child's leg movements must occur at the proper moment, or the extent of the swing will not increase. In physics, increasing the swing is increasing the amplitude; the length of the rope on the swing determines its natural oscillation period. This ability of an object to move periodically or to vibrate when stimulated by a force operating in its natural period is called resonance. 1-uxC^u?|#  
& ywPuTt  
Resonance is observed many times without consciously thinking about it; for example, one may find an annoying vibration or shimmy in an automobile, caused by a loose engine mount vibrating with increasing amplitude because of an out-of-round tire. The bulge on the tire slaps the pavement with each revolution; at the natural resonance point~ of the engine mount, it will begin to vibrate. Such vibrations can result in considerable damage if allowed to persist. Anther destructive example of resonance is the shattering of a crystal goblet by the production of a musical tone at the natural resonant point of the goblet. The energy of the sound waves causes vibration in the glass; as its amplitude increases, the motion in the glass exceeds the elasticity of the goblet, and it shatters. :RTC!spy  
tS5hv@9cWx  
An instrument called a tachometer makes use of the principle of resonance. It consists of many tiny bars, loosely fastened together and arranged so that each bar can slide independently of the others. Movement of the bars causes changes in a dial. When placed next to a rotating motor or engine, the tachometer picks up slight vibrations which are transferred to the resonant bars. These bars begin to move, and the resulting dial may be read to find the revolutions per minute of the motor very quickly. U}[d_f  
|s(FLF-  
74. An object, if moving rhythmically when stimulated in a natural period, is said to HWrO"b*tO  
e]"W!K cD9  
A. vibrate. {4}yKjW%z  
9&2O 9Nz6  
B. resonate. lv<* 7BCp  
d L 1tl  
C. swing. myQagqRx  
nNV'O(x}  
D. oscillate. VA>35w  
{\"x3;3!6  
75. The distance a swing moves from its resting position is called its \ZFGw&yN  
J?1 uKR  
A. revolution. Y_IF;V\  
jXx<`I+]  
B. movement. F#Ryu~,"  
{X+3;&@  
C. frequency. %P/Jq#FE .  
)p0^zv{  
D. amplitude. l"T44CL;  
+F` S>U  
76. A tachometer is an instrument that uses resonance to determine B\=8_z  
z"L/G  
A. the speed of a motor in revolutions. Lc,Pom  
Qh3YJ=X &  
B. the frequency at which a motor vibrates. RDi]2  
~d4 )/y  
C. the amplitude of an engine that oscillates. M61xPq8y5  
*8Xh(` Mj7  
D. the changes in a dial within a car engine. gIa+5\qYY  
)JLdO*H  
77. An annoying vibration can be caused at the natural resonance of the car's engine mount Egp/f|y  
mt{nm[D!Xp  
A. if the engine moves too fast. y/cvQY0pU  
?k&Vy  
B. if the engine's amplitude increases. )e+>w=t  
oXh#a8  
C. if a tire gets out of balance. HGs $*  
D6Ui !  
D. if a damage occurs in the engine. @[<><uTH  
Y-_`23x`  
78. In which of the following cases is it useful to consider the relationship between the length of an oscillating object and its natural period? m@2QnA[ 4  
V)HG(k  
A. Adjusting the speed of a car. Nh o>f  
VU(v3^1"  
B. Adjusting a clock pendulum. ]Ji.Zk  
uM IIYS  
C. Adjusting tire balance. wr/"yQA]  
!mJ"gg  
D. Adjusting engine mounts. {0wIR_dGX  
e "4 ''/  
Passage 5 5h=}j   
!}#8)?p  
I was introduced to the concept of literacy animator in Oladumi Arigbede's (1994) article on high illiteracy rates among women and school dropout rates among girls. According to Arigbede, literacy animators view their role as assisting in the self-liberating development of people in the world who are struggling for a more meaningful life. Animators are a family of deeply concerned and committed people whose gut-level rejection of mass human pauperization compels them to intervene on the side of the marginalized. Their motivation is not derived from a love of literacy as merely another technical life skill, and they accept that literacy is never culturally or ideologically neutral. kW Ml  
3tIVXtUCUk  
Arigbede writes from her experiences as an animator working with women and men in Nigeria. She believes that literacy animators have to make a clear choice about whose culture and whose ideology will be fostered among those with whom they work. Do literacy educators in the United States consider whether the instruction they pursue conflicts with their students' traditional cultures or community, or fosters illiteracies in learners' first or home languages or dialects and in their orality? &tLgG4pd  
kX7C3qdmt  
Some approaches to literacy instruction represent an ideology of individualism, control, and competition. Consider, for example, the difference in values conveyed and represented when students engage in choral reading versus the practice of having one student read out loud to the group. To identify as a literacy animator is to choose the ideology of "sharing, solidarity, love, equity, co-operation with and respect of both nature and other human beings". Literacy pedagogy that matches the animator ideology works on maintaining the languages and cultures of millions of minority children who at present are being forced to accept the language and culture of the dominant group. It might lead to assessment that examines the performance outcomes of a community of literacy learners and the social significance of their uses of literacy, as opposed to measuring what an individual can do as a reader and writer on a standardized test. Shor (1993) describes literacy animators as problem-posing, community-based, dialogic educators. Do our teacher-education textbooks on reading and language arts promote the idea that teachers should explore problems from a community-based dialogic perspective? nLZTK&7}  
X1x#6 oi  
79. A literacy animator is one who BDW^7[n  
s^G.]%iU  
A. struggles for a more meaningful life. 6 6EV$*dRL  
w7.V6S$Ga  
B. frees people from poverty and illiteracy. bQg:zww  
p J! mw\:  
C. is committed to marginalize the illiterate. h,u, ^ r  
B[Ku\A6&  
D. is concerned with what is behind illiteracy. Xv5wJ lc!d  
r"g JX  
80. The author suggests that literacy educators in the US in a way p?%y82E  
z1 | TC  
A. promote students' home languages. 36&e.3/#  
F3[T.sf  
B. force students to accept their culture. T\6dm/5  
KEo ,m  
C. teach nothing but reading and writing. WtsFz*`)y  
1Kw+,.@d  
D. consider literacy as of non-neutral nature. 93 )sk/j  
~]|6T~+]83  
81. Arigbede worked with Nigerians probably to x*\Y) 9Vgy  
av8B-GQI*#  
A. teach American customs and ideology. A7Cm5>Y_S  
Ytp(aE:  
B. make a choice of culture to be fostered. y4 #>X  
vFzRg5lH  
C. reject the values of the dominant class. 1APe=tJ  
8+Lm's=W*  
D. help maintain Nigerian language and culture. + /4 A  
e9Wa<i 8  
82. According to the author, "choral reading" may represent 4$HhP, gL=  
Fj8z  
A. individualism. q"CVcLi9  
]N QfX[  
B. collectivism. pGP7nw_g  
Y #ap*  
C. competition. > ym,{EHK  
)` SrfGp8  
D. immersion. b"<liGh"n-  
:[.vM  
83. Animator ideology emphasizes more 6fE7W>la  
.Bl\Z  
A. the social function of literacy. fh&nu"&  
yM6pd U]i  
B. students?performance in tests. 1sy[ @Q2b  
1 fp?  
C. the dominant group's language. )J o: pkM  
Co9^OF-k  
D. the attainment of life skills. ]#i igPZ7  
B- RjMxX4>  
84. It is implied by the author that, because of the kind of teacher education in the US, teachers there tend to ignore Y,qI@n<  
v4a8}G  
A. constant development of new teaching approaches. ; }I:\P  
)NW)R*m~D  
B. using their own wisdom in problem-solving. + )AG*  
h6Ub}(Ov  
C. talented performances of minority students. LRxZcxmy  
O#4&8>;=  
D. community-based literacy enhancement. 9Z$"K-G  
 \{_q.;}  
Passage 6 q_:4w$>  
Qab>|eSm  
Scientists have known for more than two, decades that cancer is a disease of the genes. Something scrambles the DNA inside a nucleus, and suddenly, instead of dividing in a measured fashion, a cell begins to copy itself furiously. Unlike an ordinary cell, it never stops. But describing the process isn't the same as figuring it out. Cancer cells are so radically different from normal ones that it's almost impossible to untangle the sequence of events that made them that way. So for years researchers have been attacking the problem by taking normal cells and trying to determine what changes will turn them cancerous-always without success. J'6PmPzY|  
df8k7D;~e  
According to a report in the current issue of Nature, a team of scientists based at M.I.T.'s Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research has finally managed to make human cells malignant---a feat they accomplished with two different cell types by inserting just three altered genes into their DNA. While these manipulations were done only in lab dishes and won't lead to any immediate treatment, they appear to be a crucial step in understanding the disease. This is a "landmark paper," wrote Jonathan Weitzman and Moshe Yaniv of the Pasteur Institute in Paris, in an accompanying commentary. @-07F,'W,  
o+iiST JEe  
The dramatic new result traces back to a breakthrough in 1983, when the Whitehead's Robert Weinberg and colleagues showed that mouse cells would become cancerous when subjected to two altered genes. But when they tried such alterations on human cells, they didn't work. Since then, scientists have learned that mouse cells differ from human cells in an important respect: they have higher levels of an enzyme called telomerase. That enzyme keeps caplike structures called telomeres on the ends of chromosomes from getting shorter with each round of cell division. Such shortening is part of a cell's aging process, and since cancer cells keep dividing forever, the Whitehead group reasoned that making human cells more mouselike might also make them cancerous. ~Y[r`]X`"m  
/obfw^  
The strategy worked. The scientists took connective-tissue and kidney cells and introduce three altered genes---one that makes cells divide rapidly; another that disables two substances meant to rein in excessive division; and a third that promotes the production of telomerase, which made the cells essentially immortal. They'd created a tumor in a test tube. "Some people believed that telomerase wasn't that important," says the Whitehead's William Hahn, the study's lead author. "This allows us to say with some certainty that it is." fC d&D  
;J( 8 L  
85. The problem that has been annoying cancer researchers for years is the difficulty in telling 3lL-)< 0A(  
y-pJF{ R  
A. how cancer cells are formed. h%na>G  
x M/+L:_<  
B. why cancer cells never stop dividing. T9|m7  
:1Xz4wkWS*  
C. why normal cells can mm into cancer cells. ,Q$ q=E;X  
:wyno#8`-  
D. how different normal cells are from cancer cells. \##zR_%  
%bn jgy  
86. Whitehead's scientists have succeeded in m,_Z6=I:  
edq4D53  
A. developing malignant cells in human bodies. F@j Z ho  
WF+99?75  
B. making normal human cells cancerous. ij`w} V  
z]y.W`i   
C. controlling the change of human cells. ;\dBfP  
%)8}X>xq  
D. changing the genes of cancer cells. K:[F%e  
@+2=g WH  
87. In the 1983 experiment, human cells didn't work the way mouse cells did because the former !;v|'I  
<8&au(I,vB  
A. were easier to become aged. `UyG_;  
FIhk@TKa  
B. checked telomerase in dividing. wH&!W~M  
`wEb<H  
C. had short ends of chromosomes. .f2bNnB~pP  
e{K 215  
D. lacked telomeres for cell division. 7t0=[i  
8C:z"@o  
88. To make human cells more mouselike scientists tried $szqy?i 0?  
'[:D$q;  
A. to subject them to two more genes. L|xbR#v  
{rw|#Z>A  
B. to keep the division from slowing down. ;bib/  
'G4ICtHQ  
C. to promote the production of telomerase. \V8PhO;j  
"?xHlYj@+  
D. to prevent excessive cells copying. zu{P#~21  
G4X|Bka  
89. One key factor in creating tumor with human cells is ,m:.-iy?  
3yF,ak {Sl  
A. lengthening the ends of chromosomes. ,T$U'&;  
mSF(q78?  
B. altering the structure of telomeres. WiR(;m<g  
0@iY:aF  
C. increasing the levels of telomerase. "7F?@D$e  
7' V@+5  
D. modulating the cell dividing process. EgCAsSx(  
m@v\(rT.  
90. According to the passage, the Whitehead research has taken a big step in /]Md~=yNp  
xj;H&swo  
A. understanding cancer. Ma Qqs=  
}@q`%uzi  
B. curing cancer disease. 37.S\ gO]  
"_NN3lD)X  
C. eliminating cancer. ,i`,Oy(BI  
A[{yCn`tM  
D. preventing cancer. FHg 9OI67  
D.u{~  
PAPERTWO KBc1{adDx@  
@:vwb\azVD  
PARTV TRANSLATION (25minutes,10points) y/7\?qfTk  
)}Kf=  
Directions:Put the following passage into English.Write your English version in the proper space on your Answer Sheet Ⅱ. vr6w^&[c^  
Moza".fiN  
科学是开放的知识体系,是一种属于全人类的不断进步的文化。科学是历史的,也在不断改变、塑造自身的形象。只要科学以人类的最大福祉、人性的提升为目标,科学就能重塑自我,赢得人们的依赖。但对科学的尊重不能是盲目的,赶时髦的。科学对于生产力甚至赚钱都有帮助,但科学并不沦为一种经济手段,也不沦为利益竞争对手之间的筹码。 XK@E;Rv  
!M1"b;  
PARTVI WRITING (35minutes,15points) ;$wVu|&  
>SHhAEF  
Directions:Write an essay of at least l50words on the topic given below. Use the proper space on your Answer Sheet Ⅱ. z$. 88 ^  
P}^W)@ +3k  
There is no denying that the average living standard of our country has greatly increased since the economic reform started20 years ago.However, neither is it deniable that there has been a growing contrast in income between the rich and the poor. What do you think of this contrast in our country? State your opinion with appropriate supporting details.
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水

级别: 初级博友
显示用户信息 
沙发  发表于: 2007-06-08   
buxing a