考博报班 加入VIP 上传考博资料 您的流量 增加流量 每日签到
主题 : 中科院2001年考博英语试题
级别: 初级博友
显示用户信息 
楼主  发表于: 2007-05-17   

中科院2001年考博英语试题

中科院2001年考博英语试题 a YWWln  
yOq@w!xz  
PART II STRUCTURE & VOCABULARY (25 minutes, 15 points) a:f^U90R l~6K}g?  
Section A (0.5 point each) Y2sRJYS T#) )_aC  
Directions: Choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. cOEW}&y Y()" 2CCV  
16. He gave me a lot of help in my work, so I have to my success to him. Yfs%?RL p+ CUYo(  
A. grant B. ascribe lk!?O p49]{2GXb  
C. commit D. submit G'(Uhdp{P K:wI'N"N  
17.It is well known that the first can only work hard planting young trees for a new business, while the following people may obtain the successful fruits. k@NEJYo xT%`"eM}  
A. practitioners B. amateurs o)Mko]JY !sb r!Qt  
C. forerunners D. managers JDR6A2FO KJA :;   
18. The honest journalist has kept investigating that high rank official for a long time, and he felt very happy when that fellow's corrupt scandal at last. 3;mZd6A_ g8W,Xq+  
A. got to light B. stood in light [=94@ot~ XBQt:7[<  
C. came to light D. looked in light <ocQ#~T' ^7-zwl(>?N  
19. The Minister's answer let to an outcry from the Opposition. eW*jEJ S6TNu+2w4  
A. impressive B. evasive [3,abw bGPE0}b  
C. intensive D. amusive &b-$@>h& j/FLEsU!R  
20. The old gentleman to be an old friend of his grandfather's. ]o!)tVch Zt`Tg7m  
A. turned in B. turned over m86*J= hF%M!otcJ-  
C. turned up D. turned out  &B%x.!D K~N$s "Qx  
21. The rules stated that anyone who had held office for three years was not for re-election. waY~ZrG. p +VU:%.t  
A. admirable B. eligible "7paZE4Q EB~]6.1  
C. reliable D. capable ;]R@!LapR3 Qp>leEs]+6  
22. I feel very sad that the young man's energetic initiative with nothing in the experiment, for he met a lot of interference from the powerful authority. YL/}Jx J ^'El^F  
A. burned up B. tuned up U8s6"=7 t`Kbm''d[  
C. pushed up D. ended up bQVFi/r a=iupXre9  
23. We were politely an armed guard and warned not to take pictures. ~xr[^  ?=VvFfv%  
A. assigned B. allowed 4Bfzx+E A,}M ^$@  
C. accepted D. assisted pHUF;#" J|`0GDSn  
24.The recovery and of the country's economy has also been accompanied by increasing demands for high quality industrial sites in attractive locations. SZ(q}JGW v}G^+ -?  
<xQ6.|K0h *g/klK  
A. renewal B. revival >n<$] 68 $></%S2g  
C. recession D. relief ?iI9 |Xv JMb_00r  
25. In fact the purchasing power of a single person's pension in Hong Kong was only 70 per cent of the value of the Singapore pension. 7 Qg3~ s]arNaaA  
A. equivalent B. similar &E[N*( ;G[V:.o-  
C. consistent D. identical (409<LA{! *l2`- gbE  
26. It seems a reasonable rule of thumb that any genuine offer of help and support from people or organizations will be accompanied by a name and address, and a willingness to be as to their motive in making contact. boqs>-v j(;^XO Y#  
A. seen through B. checked out +9Al/k/ p"g|]@m  
C. touched on D. accounted to q @P"VXiQ h>N}M}8  
27. According to *** boxing reporter Mike Costello, just as there is worldwide with boxing, so there is worldwide opposition. cbs1y s- wPA^nZ^}9c  
A. passion B. attraction pBKQz$~qo* 8Zv``t61  
C. emotion D. fascination 2K, =}~ y.rN(  
28. Although there are several variations on the exact format that worksheets can take, they are all similar in their aspects. 3! @3 y9 @:lM|2:  
A. potential B. social _x ]^A; 5z iI3:<j l  
C. essential D. partia vwUyGzG$ xoaO=7\io  
29. any advice which you can get from the interviewer and follow up suggestions for improving your presentation and qualifications. ]7K=V rzG f6Qr0Op  
A. Take the most of B. Keep the most of /F~_ ]7So [>=!$>>;8  
C. Have the most of D. Make the most of ' !75'B7& -dntV=  
30. There is a loss of self-confidence, a sense of personal failure, great anger and a feeling of being utterly . = z9[} e#"h@kZP  
A. let alone B. let out Ll_.x..m aeqz~z2~8s  
C. let down D. let on ,(-fDO+o@k 1!#85SMx  
31. Japan remains tied to the Western camp partly because the relationship has become to her economy and politics over forty years' association. #~IV<~/> 55[ 4)*  
A. integral B. unilateral NXH%X=49 dG\ wW@}J  
C. rational D. hierarchical OP<D3<C 1W^hPY  
32. With most online recruitment services, jobseekers must choose their words carefully the search engine will never make the correct match. :j+z)Brh U1RU2M]v  
A. because B. whereas q+l.C8N] N8<J'7%  
C. provided D. otherwise 9?ZWk"9 bJ^ JK  
33. The child should always the same basic procedure: seeing the whole word--hearing and pronouncing--writing from memory. sFa c d _fAgp_)  
A. go through B. take over iz/_N^+4* +y7z>Fwl  
C. respond to D. carry off' (dHX,nl!AO kaG/8G(  
34. That MGM Grand Youth Center is open to children 3-12 years old what hotel they are staying in. )}t~\w FDHW' OP4  
A. regardless in B. regardless of 1gnIV_*Y' LPk@t^[  
C. regardless on D. regardless from f 3Xp J Kxe\H'rR  
35. Ever since Geoffrey sent a sizeable cheque to a well-known charity he's been with requests for money from all sides. FD#Q@I P8 4S_ -9&z  
A. devastated B. smashed 9KIX~)dBX dcz?5O_{,  
C. bombarded D. cracked 9PPVL'G ZsmOn#`=^}  
Section B (0.5 point each) z9Se>K, YQVo7"`%  
Directions: In each of the following sentences there are four parts underlined and marked A, B, C, and D. Indicate which Of the four parts is incorrectly used. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice by drawing a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. N&%z## 8 p/H.bG!z  
36. The opinion polls were showing(A) 76 percent of the responders( more concerned about the shambles of American education(C) than about any other problem on(D) the political agenda. r^dLlOt *~rj!N?;  
37. Kenny G is not a musician(A) I really had much of ( an opinion about him(C) until recently(D). ] & B( 8 =c8}^3L~7  
38. I was twenty-five years old, and I'd just been laid down(A) from my job as division( manager at(C) a mortgage banking(D) firm.  "-rP| m |*B0GW  
39. We knew so little(A) about equipments( , disposal(C) techniques, the whole thing(D). [idk~TFoh  Rr) 5 [  
40. It was so disgusted(A), and somewhat hazardous( , not to mention(C) a huge hassle and monetary expense(D). `_ybjL }gp@0ri%5  
41. Of course, I am aware of(A) what he has played since( , the success he has had(C), and the controversy(D) has surrounded him among musicians and serious listeners Kf{O1_bX WT *"V<Z  
42. That抯 not saying(A) it's easy, though( . There are definitely(C) jobs that wore on(D) you. = &P0>o8L ^-o{3Q(w  
43. Perhaps not surprisingly(A), the colleagues whom I thought less high( , and whom I portrayed less admiringly(C), did not share my view(D). '.X07~(-" GP:<h@:798  
44. The Times, financially(A) successful it may be( , is a powerful but(C), at this moment, not very healthy institution(D). iWVq'7 <_?zln:4.  
45. Having imposed temporary sentences(A) of unprecedented( severity on the five defendants who pleaded guilt(C), the judge told them that their actual sentences might depend on their cooperation with(D) subsequent investigations. nMf;;=((m !MbzFs~  
PART III CLOZE TEST (15 minutes, 15 points) #^qz Ufr@j` *  
Directions: For each blank in the following passage, choose the best answer from the four choices given in the opposite column. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. Q#hBhK ?R`S-  
>V2S]_q_ iL/c^(1  
When we think about addiction to drags or alcohol, we frequently focus on negative aspects, ignoring the pleasures that accompany drinking or drug-taking. 46 the essence of any serious addiction is a pursuit of pleasure, a search for a "high" that normal life does not 47 . It is only the inability to function 48 the addictive substance that is dismaying, the dependence of the organism upon a certain experience and a .49 inability to function normally without it. Thus a person will take two or three 50 at the end of the day not merely for the pleasure drinking provides, but also because he "doesn't feel 51 without them.. E)f%2 c5 SZ` 7t=I2  
52 does not merely pursue a pleasurable experience and need to 53 it in order to function normally. He needs to repeat it again and again. Something about that particular experience makes life without it 54 complete. Other potentially pleasurable experiences are no longer possible, 55 under the spell of the addictive experience, his life is peculiarly 56. The addict craves an experience and yet he is never really satisfied. The organism may be 57 _sated, but soon it begins to crave again. Xhuli{9F# %nA})nA7=  
Finally a serious addiction is58 a harmless pursuit of pleasure by Its distinctly destructive elements. A heroin addict, for instance, leads a 59 life: his increasing need for heroin in increasing doses prevents him from working, from maintaining relationships, from developing in human ways. 60 an alcoholic's life is narrowed and dehumanized by his dependence on alcohol. HAPS/f~ 3m1g"  
46. A. Hence B. Because /heL:/).9 -D^I;[j_  
C. And yet D. Moreover +5tH7nw V&Y`?Edc  
47. A. supply B. resume bvq(2g] *k?:k78L  
C. accept D. prevent D%DTPE rPxRGoR  
48. A. except B. without cluBQnoRd woI5aee|  
C. with D. besides M\} 6x*0q dQ:,pe7A  
49. A. frustrating B. surprising m `%rqP A(Ct^/x-  
C. unchanging D. increasing QsxUt c:Ua\$)u3,  
50 A. drags B. drinks qbZ Hb&} ,Eq QU|  
C. doses D. draughts t-"(^Ph HU0.)tD  
51. A. normal B. content H: (!\\7 Y,]Lk<Hm3  
*0z)Blb B-I4(w($  
C. delighted D. spirited `H2M5Ca xC76jE4  
52. A. A drugtaker B. The addicted iL?0<zX (P>nA3:UXB  
C. An addict D. The drugger }y 7jte^* cXweg;  
53. A. perform B. make V_-dw_6cT "1o{mvCkR  
C. experience D. initiate ^==hA^B <,vIN,Kl8/  
54. A. other than B. rather than pb:b%M-2C Ku5||u.F4*  
C. more than D. less than  "s,Z` Bwg(f_[1  
55. A. while B. thus >-1y *I p ixTjXl2g  
C. even if D. for 6- KD:#[< !$)reaS  
56. A. distorted B. rectified 5bzsnJh )@]%:m!ER  
C. exaggerated D. improved 37?uay"]F "O$bq::(]e  
57. A. eventually B. temporarily  Ia<tP |mT%IR  
C. accordingly D. subsequently mhRY>4 hY}Q|-|  
58. A. identical with B. consistent with !j+IYP 1ec +%5L2/n7  
C. separated from D. distinguished from zXtvuA0 aIgexi,  
59. A. destructive B. Dissatisfied 2ofPd*e X G#?fr}L  
9MhDIbaGi y_PA9#v7  
C. damaged D. derivative mAfX?5\h /R&`]9].s  
X_>:fIR ?XKX&ws  
60. A. Similarly B. Conversely zSWF.~fu}] wm@m(ArE=  
u\0HjK ; SQMl5d1d:  
C. Naturally D. Generally |;!i^{i I  bP svoG  
*(*t0:!:q eP~bl   
PART IV READING COMPREHENSION (60 minutes, 30 points) v.7.Y]g`2P ~[H8R|j "  
pktxWoPFW @@R Mm$  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. Ld_ 8bc lpT&v ;$`  
中科院2001年考博英语试题(下) [e$[ 8W3zrnc  
9@,3nb V( AKk=XAGW  
U"KZj-  he|Q (?  
Passage 1 2da9HHHq Mi]^wCF  
-e4ZOySt4 K6{wM  
It took no time at all for the native Americans who first greeted Christopher Columbus to be all but erased from the face of the earth. For about a thousand years the peaceful people known as the Taino had thrived in modem-day Cuba and many other islands. But less than 30 years after Columbus' arrival, the Taino would be destroyed by Spanish weaponry, forced labor and European diseases. Unlike their distant cousins, the Inca, Aztecs and Maya, the Taino left no pyramids or temples-no obvious signs that they had ever existed. v<x'{^\_ |E~c#lV  
PffPMe!Ir t?hfP2&6  
But it is a mistake to assume-as many scholars have until quite recently that the absence of abundant artifacts meant the Taino were necessarily more primitive than the grander civilizations of Central and South America. They simply used less durable materials: the Taino relied on wood for building and most craftwork, and much of what they made has disintegrated over the centuries. However, thanks largely to two remarkable digs undertaken recently, archaeologists will be able to enrich their knowledge of the Taino. -Tr`(3 k26C=tlkv"  
G {g55vLG RvG=GJJ9  
In a village on the northern coast of Cuba, a Canadian-Cuban team discovered the nearly intact remains of a Taino dwelling buried in the dirt. This site may have been one of the Taino's major centers. Meanwhile, deep in the forests of the Dominican Republic, a U.S.-Dominican team has also made an important discovery: a 240-ft.-deep Taino cenote, or ceremonial well, where hundreds of objects .thrown in as offerings have been preserved in the oxygen-poor Water. ;gOH0 1} j_C"O,WS  
 sspqMM j$ T12  
It will take a much longer time to understand the Taino fully, but they have been rescued from the ignoble status of footnotes in the chapter of history that began with the arrival of Columbus. 'TbE3$Tb $9%F1:u  
nph;^@8p QC'Ru'8S  
61. The main idea of Paragraph 1 is 8=}$32h /? %V% n  
8UP]jI16 t R51Pw  
A. Christopher Columbus returned the Taino's greeting with cruelty. qv= kN ~d7t\S  
1pFK( DE.].FD'  
B. The Europeans' coming brought an end to the existence of the Taino. aE m GVhqNy   
Oq,Ah= cs6oD!h  
C. The Taino once prosperous in modem-day Cuba now has no trace on earth. ?be\({?@ 0"7+;(\1Rk  
GDp`rlFBy s AFn.W  
D. Spanish weaponry would have crashed the Taino but for Columbus' arrival. 4 Z<\YJ# 3JC uM_y  
&RXG$4* Cl '$*h  
62. It is assumed the Taino had a comparatively low civilization mostly because pRZ";Vv" { <Gyjq  
M9v.O+^d@1 D%+ yp  
A. the Taino had produced no written records. Xi]g#}w$ G^B> C  
.'r{ kC .I_atv  
B. the Taino had built no pyramids mid temples. X8ou@pwA <M\&zHv  
C2n wj x8aOXN #w}  
C. there has been little wooden structure the Taino relied on. U M>sMD8 N3$1f$`  
9^2[&tzH 4T3Z9KD!8  
D. there has been few remains showing the life of the Taino's. W<? L& (:8a6=xQ  
9Wb/>q<DU: {m!5IR  
63. Which statement is true concerning the Taino? Bqx  $US uZ8-?  
FT}u;&J}6 y pEMx'p   
A. They were enslaved by foreign invaders. =\Z~~*jc %GTFub0 F  
^L73\ SY|K9 $M^  
B. They were more warlike than other Indians. kV> > ^ o/3.U=px~  
? %*=~4* ~AjPa}@ f  
C. They were the most short-lived of all the civilizations. @gPN_K8 %}(` ?  
m4/'<;C@ zG$5g^J  
D. They were buried deep in the dirt or oxygen-poor water. )M5 838 n UmyPQ~  
Apb|; S'5)K  
64. What does the italicized word "ignoble" (in the last sentence) probably mean? h 8&jLe"pM ,K[e?(RP  
d!\(L2EP S?CT6moXA  
A. unfortunate B. unsuccessful *[~)49qW \d JhDR  
?H(IS%^ PP{ 9Y Vr  
C. unpromising D. unworthy 1Mpd6. _yg;5#3  
4;uoaL* ,=\.L_'  
Passage 2 eTP&i+ U T^Ia^B-%}g  
mmO%`FB>K  >SQzE  
Already lasers can obliterate skin blemishes, topically applied drugs can smooth facial lines and injected agents can remove deep wrinkles. Future products will be faster, borer and longer lasting. "New substances will be developed by entrepreneurs," says Brian Mayou, an aesthetic plastic surgeon, "that will be more successful than liquid silicone that we use today to eradicate wrinkles." The next major breakthrough, says Mel Brahmn, plastic surgeon and chief executive of the Harley Medical Group, will be laser treatment that needs no recovery period. uHb<vYo 6!>p<p"Ns  
5|dXw@@{3 $ (;:4  
Nicholas Lowe, clinical professor of dermatology at the University of Los Angeles, adds: "There will be more efficient anti-oxidants to help reduce sun damage and aging. There will also be substances that increase the production of new collagen and elastic tissue to maintain the elasticity of youthful skin." WNQda$; !#pc@(rE  
02T2D = pMT7/y-  
Lee Shreider, a research cosmetic chemist, says that we may be able to look better without any kind of operation as semi-permanent make-up gets better. jZQ4$wvZ 7Tk//By7  
H?k>t,if fD@d.8nXd  
"Crooked noses will be improved by effectively sealing on shaded colors that either enhance or subdue areas of the face. We will be able to straighten eyebrows and lips making the face more symmetrical-which remains one of the keys to beauty~and even close blocked pores with permanent, custom-designed foundation." nPA{vc%n F(n<:TvlK  
6@g@wbW 8 D2}^TI g  
The development of the safe sun tan is a potential gold mine. Being researched at the University of Arizona, but a long way from reality, is the injectable tan. Professor Lowe is optimistic: "There will almost certainly be a safe way of developing a sunless tan that protects against sun damage. In animal research, we've applied creams to guinea pigs that can actually 'turn on' some of the genes that produce pigmentation without any sunlight exposure." 2:u5\<.#& 3}FZg w .  
hSmiwgznV |;NfH|43;  
65. What is the main topic of the passage? ~3jNKl }Q4Vy  
1x4f`i Uk]jy>7;!  
A. Inventions in cosmetology. H7V@k6?%> )1!<<;@0  
ubjstNl FWJ**J  
B. New discovery in face-filling. J]pWcU \{`^Q+<  
LAy8*?d % (Ff}Y.4  
C. A bright future for facial make-up. B!Na'h>Jy _U &HXQ8X  
xNeQt H' ["f6Ern  
D. The development of beauty culture. <5,5L ;\`& wr"0+J7  
6lX`- }O7sP^  
66. According to the passage, what has been used to remove deep wrinkles? [q\toP$ 0F-{YQr>  
nyBW} U9S peu9B gs  
A. Applied drugs. q*\\j& a lXTE#,XVf  
`_$>-( eMnK@J  
B. Liquid silicone. 9^2eW;t QNOdt2NN  
AnC^E*3EE vN^.MR+<  
C. Laser treatment. #?[(BfC  'y; Kj  
@?4X2d1*@O A0 Nx?  
D. Anti-oxidant. 84?482S| pDlrK&;\z  
e[NMI!f 2j8GJU/L  
67. Paragraph 4 suggests that one could improve effectively one's appearance concerning the nose, eyebrows, lips, etc. .'&Xv$`)> uCr& `  
"iH{"^C]\; _M/N_Fm  
A. by applying certain lotions. ^V7[W;-Z .2c/V  
}"[um1Rl pM@8T25=  
B. by having a beauty operation. oyVmH#g U4=l`{5on  
qj_N/&z Ht;Rz*}  
C. by changing the face shape. d-F uk' Op-z"inw  
M &Cb) 2pdeJ  
D. by blocking several pores. ^5j37f6P {EvT7W  
dxY4 5e <b H *f w  
68. As implied in the last paragraph, the injectable tan is being researched to meet the demand of the people who 2.)rj? #4mRMsW5"  
s^L.Da1- jzV"(p!  
A. refuse to be exposed to the sun. D=U\O04D3N 3[u- LYW  
US2*!l|qX F}So=Jz9h  
B. refuse to apply suntan creams. o\x/M*Z-l ^}Vc||S  
r0[xn nDdY~f.B  
C. want to get a tan for beauty. 2s?]9x ~'%d]s+q  
GXEr4 h # &.syD#  
D. want to try gene pigmentation. e|A+VB+@5 FTCIfW  
1`@1FP'c */h(4Hz  
Passage 3 ez-6T4-q > pb}@\;:  
6]S0>/) 1"Oe*@`pV  
There are faults which age releases us from, and there are virtues, which turn to vices with the lapse of years. The worst of these is thrift, which m early and middle life is wisdom and duty to practice for a provision against destitution. As time goes on this virtue is apt to turn into the ugliest, cruelest, shabbiest of the vices. Then the victim of it finds himself storing past all probable need of saving for himself or those next him, to the deprivation of the remoter kin of the race. In the earlier time when gain was symbolized by gold or silver, the miser had a sensual joy in the touch, of his riches, m hearing the coins clink In their fall through his fingers, and m gloating upon their increase sensible to the hand and eye. Then the miser had his place among the great figures of misdoing; he was of a dramatic effect, like a murderer or a robber; and something of this bad distinction clung to him even when his coins had changed to paper currency, the clean, white notes of the only English bank, or the greenbacks of our innumerable banks of issue; but when the sense of fiches had been transmuted to the balance in his favor at his banker's, or the bonds in his drawer at the safety-deposit vault, all splendor had gone out of his ~ice. His bad eminence was gone, but he clung to the lust of gain which had ranked trim with the picturesque wrong-doers, and which only ruin from without could save him from, unless he gave his remnant of strength to saving himself from it. Most aging men are sensible of all this, but few have the frankness of that aging man who once said that he who died rich died disgraced, and died the other day in the comparative poverty of fifty millions. }y"#qR_Z -+@N/d5  
69. This short passage is mainly to tell that :gLwr4:hC ]%D!-[C%1  
A. man becomes increasingly greedy when getting old. Kl_y]X #aL.E(%  
B. a miser can be honest if he does no wrong act. X*Nw:kQC* ]:Ep1DIMl  
C. age can help convert some virtue into a vice. q0""{eWe m8F$h-  
D. misers all started from trying to be thrifty. 6N ^wEcv= aeUgr !  
70. According to the passage, one is thought vicious when he ZXLC1x HSNj  
A. gathers up money at the sacrifice of all his family members. =;'%~A ; ^slIR!L  
B. practices endless thrifty to guard his people from poverty. % yF~_6ZG6 ^WB[uFt-  
C. stores continuously for his own and his relatives' needs. <2i oihU y[$UeE"0  
D. saves too much but wouldn't spend it for the necessary. wf] B;xzv ;GM`=M4  
71. The italicized expression "gloating upon" probably means \S1ZuIA qY8; k #  
A. thinking with slight guilt. NuXZ`V" m+'1c}n^7  
B. seeing with much satisfaction. HZb]lz&*.v A^,u l>!  
C. touching with great awe. iDR8^"5C HD KF>S_S  
D. hearing with little delight. F @<1,CT, 0bh 6ay4  
72. The passage implies that what could stop a miser from lusting for money might be $WL'TuY -Ct+W;2  
A. his frankness. 0<L$31 T3oFgzoO  
B. his eminence. ~hYd&{]n A[m?^vk q  
C. his death. J`& ?, Ne+Rs+~4  
D. his glory. Co]|rc'.- vxPE=!|  
73. The words "in the comparative poverty of fifty millions" at the end of the passage suggests a notion that T^[;$y @I4HpY7:  
A. stinginess may cause a very rich man to die very pitiful. *={x8}) LAc60^t1  
B. rich people may still take 50 million as comparatively little. h %#J 9 zqj|$YNC  
C. one remains discontent with all he's gained until his death. Db# y|\ +!u9_?Tp  
D. the rich are inconsiderate of the majority that live in poverty. |WfI'`c. NE#`ZUr3  
中科院2001考博英语试题(下) Vv/~  `/ T.u&QF  
OzVYZ IrYj#,xJ  
} 4;H'9O# )8^E{w^D}  
Passage 4 e.[S `& ^ (enr{1  
If a mother pushes her small son in a swing, giving only a light force each time he returns, eventually he will be swinging quite high. The child can do this for himself by using his legs to increase the motion, but both the mother's push and the child's leg movements must occur at the proper moment, or the extent of the swing will not increase. In physics, increasing the swing is increasing the amplitude; the length of the rope on the swing determines its natural oscillation period. This ability of an object to move periodically or to vibrate when stimulated by a force operating in its natural period is called resonance. T 5?Z>Q z !:\0}w$-  
Resonance is observed many times without consciously thinking about it; for example, one may find an annoying vibration or shimmy in an automobile, caused by a loose engine mount vibrating with increasing amplitude because of an out-of-round tire. The bulge on the tire slaps the pavement with each revolution; at the natural resonance point~ of the engine mount, it will begin to vibrate. Such vibrations can result in considerable damage if allowed to persist. Anther destructive example of resonance is the shattering of a crystal goblet by the production of a musical tone at the natural resonant point of the goblet. The energy of the sound waves causes vibration in the glass; as its amplitude increases, the motion in the glass exceeds the elasticity of the goblet, and it shatters. H"{w5n. ' yH  
An instrument called a tachometer makes use of the principle of resonance. It consists of many tiny bars, loosely fastened together and arranged so that each bar can slide independently of the others. Movement of the bars causes changes in a dial. When placed next to a rotating motor or engine, the tachometer picks up slight vibrations which are transferred to the resonant bars. These bars begin to move, and the resulting dial may be read to find the revolutions per minute of the motor very quickly. OyEPb:~% tLKf]5}f  
74. An object, if moving rhythmically when stimulated in a natural period, is said to nFZ O[G'  Me z&@{  
A. vibrate. {*-Q}ppB_ D6lzc f  
B. resonate.  N}"6jbk K@n-#  
C. swing. r?f+s 02EX_tt),  
D. oscillate. `'e)x6! -l}"DP _  
75. The distance a swing moves from its resting position is called its _z L)O1.s h(kP f ]0  
A. revolution. V:ZwEG jl}9R]Y_2  
B. movement. J'$!E,~ "\Dqtr w  
C. frequency. )_Zyk&Pdg &zgliT!If  
D. amplitude. !a]9` A\ z4D)Xy"/  
76. A tachometer is an instrument that uses resonance to determine V-WP5>T1< q<.k:v&  
A. the speed of a motor in revolutions. #qts~Ws|p GTbV5{Ss  
B. the frequency at which a motor vibrates. 9HfU<$2U@ KJ/Gv#Kj  
C. the amplitude of an engine that oscillates. ZCv4IX08 b&E"r*i|  
D. the changes in a dial within a car engine. !0'G(N/M dCn9]cj/  
77. An annoying vibration can be caused at the natural resonance of the car's engine mount 9j $R*[ :KC]1_zqR  
A. if the engine moves too fast. u QuH \a mW)kWuOO  
B. if the engine's amplitude increases. eZZh bA >P(.yQ8&kL  
C. if a tire gets out of balance. lDu<r3 jHT^I as  
D. if a damage occurs in the engine. m#>dFR&8Z bO$KV"*!  
78. In which of the following cases is it useful to consider the relationship between the length of an oscillating object and its natural period? GJouYE! I3.JAoB>!  
A. Adjusting the speed of a car. q</`<82*L a'HHUii=  
B. Adjusting a clock pendulum. R(zlYZ" /AX)n:,  
C. Adjusting tire balance. Yvw>[=5' p);[;S  
D. Adjusting engine mounts. 5HA2RX #& <}&J|()  
Passage 5 $/De:~i w$s6NBF7  
I was introduced to the concept of literacy animator in Oladumi Arigbede's (1994) article on high illiteracy rates among women and school dropout rates among girls. According to Arigbede, literacy animators view their role as assisting in the self-liberating development of people in the world who are struggling for a more meaningful life. Animators are a family of deeply concerned and committed people whose gut-level rejection of mass human pauperization compels them to intervene on the side of the marginalized. Their motivation is not derived from a love of literacy as merely another technical life skill, and they accept that literacy is never culturally or ideologically neutral. nFqFDE 9`qw,X&AK_  
Arigbede writes from her experiences as an animator working with women and men in Nigeria. She believes that literacy animators have to make a clear choice about whose culture and whose ideology will be fostered among those with whom they work. Do literacy educators in the United States consider whether the instruction they pursue conflicts with their students' traditional cultures or community, or fosters illiteracies in learners' first or home languages or dialects and in their orality? :&U-pJ\ Ot=nKdP}D  
Some approaches to literacy instruction represent an ideology of individualism, control, and competition. Consider, for example, the difference in values conveyed and represented when students engage in choral reading versus the practice of having one student read out loud to the group. To identify as a literacy animator is to choose the ideology of "sharing, solidarity, love, equity, co-operation with and respect of both nature and other human beings". Literacy pedagogy that matches the animator ideology works on maintaining the languages and cultures of millions of minority children who at present are being forced to accept the language and culture of the dominant group. It might lead to assessment that examines the performance outcomes of a community of literacy learners and the social significance of their uses of literacy, as opposed to measuring what an individual can do as a reader and writer on a standardized test. Shor (1993) describes literacy animators as problem-posing, community-based, dialogic educators. Do our teacher-education textbooks on reading and language arts promote the idea that teachers should explore problems from a community-based dialogic perspective? <xXK*w i\ 7JQZ  
79. A literacy animator is one who $h_6L)X~f u-.5rH l  
A. struggles for a more meaningful life. PBp|b"&.w !j  #8zN  
B. frees people from poverty and illiteracy. ^QZh]# Iw] ylp  
C. is committed to marginalize the illiterate. uD,}gR,\  fZap\  
D. is concerned with what is behind illiteracy. DOmH~odd jN= !Q&^i[  
80. The author suggests that literacy educators in the US in a way ':y<Ri/t ?Nt m5(R  
A. promote students' home languages. +H# U+4"V EN ^L.q9#  
B. force students to accept their culture. !4= ZO)%b ~|~2B$JeV  
C. teach nothing but reading and writing. ijU!Lwi7k S h5m+>7K  
D. consider literacy as of non-neutral nature. x'Bq98O=g ]GHw~s?  
81. Arigbede worked with Nigerians probably to ?.S{ZWi  HYdt3GtJ?  
A. teach American customs and ideology. =#+-;$D @~=d4Wj6  
B. make a choice of culture to be fostered. Upnsvy1 8rBa}v9  
C. reject the values of the dominant class. FH-S{1[0 NU.4_cixb  
D. help maintain Nigerian language and culture. |_iC!w|aB P _Gu~B!Y  
82. According to the author, "choral reading" may represent Zb4x2DN>J IWddJb~hu  
A. individualism. \ZoMEoOR {P?p*2J'  
B. collectivism. gNfD|/S W>CG;x{  
C. competition. v Bc&WxE n|.>41bJ  
D. immersion. e^4Viq/! KCa @0  
83. Animator ideology emphasizes more 5AC - yJ; ;&  
A. the social function of literacy. +k=+$ErMP\ +:C.G[+  
B. students?performance in tests. Cw0UgjO\ FgP{  
C. the dominant group's language. Z6 k6 " !8 l &%  
D. the attainment of life skills. S+2|ik 8y 8v^AVg  
84. It is implied by the author that, because of the kind of teacher education in the US, teachers there tend to ignore e`1Vg,tVz }*P;kV  
A. constant development of new teaching approaches. ~v2/>: D_z&G)  
B. using their own wisdom in problem-solving. rMBwBfF7 Lnh'y`q  
C. talented performances of minority students. [J]#dA LmROG-9  
D. community-based literacy enhancement
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水

级别: 初级博友