显示用户信息 
地板  发表于: 2007-11-19   
中科院2001博士生入学考试英语试题 en6AAr:U}  
huazi 发表于 2007-4-18 18:47:00  X_S]8Aa  
2001年3月 @%85k/(  
&`y_R'  
考生须知: SL 5DWZ  
/FZ )ej\  
一、本次考试题卷由试卷一(PAPER ONE)和试卷二(PAPER TWO)两部分组成。 试卷一为90道客观题,答卷使用标准化机读答题纸;试卷二为主观题,答卷使用另一答题纸。 X"59`Yh  
w|*G`~l09  
二、请一律用HB或2B铅笔涂写标准化机读答题纸,修改时请用橡皮擦干净。若误用其它笔种而导致计算机无法识别,责任由考生自负。 APm[)vw#f  
u+FftgA  
三、请按答题注意事项要求逐项填涂标准化机读答题纸。涂写不得过细或过短。 D4S?b ZFHo  
-mdPqVIJn:  
四、请保持标准化机读答题纸清洁、无折皱。切忌折叠。 D"aQbQP  
#yxYL0CcA:  
五、本考卷满分为100分,全部考试时间总计180分钟。分值及时间分布如下: ~OfKn1D  
DuZ]g#  
The Chinese Academy of Sciences v^E2!X  
P?ol]MwaB  
English Entrance Examination-For Doctoral Candidates uT2cHzqKB  
< VsZ$  
March 2001 jH/%Z5 iu  
+& Qqu`)?F  
PAPER ONE (G'ddZAJV  
'm ((G4  
PART I LISTENING COMPREHENSION (20 minutes, 15 points) $$>,2^qr&L  
SX8%F:<.  
(略) %uMsXa  
(P_ +m#  
PART II STRUCTURE & VOCABULARY (25 minutes, 15 points) 3P>@ :  
|9JYg7<  
Section A (0.5 point each) '1 *MiFxKq  
<VPtbM@(m  
Directions: Choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. 1Pc'wfj  
U:(t9NX b  
16. He gave me a lot of help in my work, so I have to my success to him. (ZJ_&8C#  
3Ed PKM j&  
A. grant B. ascribe nQC[[G*x  
rkp0ej2-  
C. commit D. submit JJa?"82FXZ  
O%{>Zo_<  
17.It is well known that the first can only work hard planting young trees for a new business, while the following people may obtain the successful fruits. eSf: [^  
 _^ZII  
A. practitioners B. amateurs 8'62[e|=7[  
To95WG7G  
C. forerunners D. managers g'@+#NMw  
=X):Zi   
18. The honest journalist has kept investigating that high rank official for a long time, and he felt very happy when that fellow's corrupt scandal at last. oKiu6=  
8iB}a\]B  
A. got to light B. stood in light Z )I4U  
a1&^P1.  
C. came to light D. looked in light O5w\oDhMb  
"`wq:$R  
19. The Minister's answer let to an outcry from the Opposition. J/ ~]A1fP6  
6W o7q\"  
A. impressive B. evasive MmB-SR[>P  
muLTYgaM  
C. intensive D. amusive 'S\H% -  
EOiKwhrV  
20. The old gentleman to be an old friend of his grandfather's. /WMLr5  
\v <}{\.|$  
A. turned in B. turned over LxO'$oKZV  
&W%TY:Da|  
C. turned up D. turned out !E8Jp E|z#  
g|oPRC$I'  
21. The rules stated that anyone who had held office for three years was not for re-election. R.7" ZG  
aNz%vbh\  
A. admirable B. eligible b< rM3P;  
3y!CkJKv  
C. reliable D. capable 0WFZx Ad"  
*w;f\zW  
22. I feel very sad that the young man's energetic initiative with nothing in the experiment, for he met a lot of interference from the powerful authority. #'[ f^xgJ  
6m]L{ buP  
A. burned up B. tuned up >Y:ouN~<  
Ce:kMkJ  
C. pushed up D. ended up wsARH>Vz  
otOl7XF  
23. We were politely an armed guard and warned not to take pictures. N\u-8nE5  
-%A6eRShk  
A. assigned B. allowed <:p&P  
P_;oSN|>  
C. accepted D. assisted )gR&Ms4  
E-/]UH3u H  
24.The recovery and of the country's economy has also been accompanied by increasing demands for high quality industrial sites in attractive locations. # a3Q<%V  
yP@= x!$  
A. renewal B. revival lIf Our  
I%ez_VG  
C. recession D. relief BdceINI  
pD]Ry" ZG  
25. In fact the purchasing power of a single person's pension in Hong Kong was only 70 per cent of the value of the Singapore pension. b x@CzXre;  
2`z+_DA  
A. equivalent B. similar m'S- h' a  
N\p3*#M  
C. consistent D. identical NzEuiI}  
:{sX8U%  
26. It seems a reasonable rule of thumb that any genuine offer of help and support from people or organizations will be accompanied by a name and address, and a willingness to be as to their motive in making contact. 7S Qu  
Lpn`HAw&  
A. seen through B. checked out Q|0[ B4e^:  
`a J[ !O  
C. touched on D. accounted to ,+JAwII>O  
F8pLA@7[  
27. According to *** boxing reporter Mike Costello, just as there is worldwide with boxing, so there is worldwide opposition. W6)A":`  
ie_wJ=s  
A. passion B. attraction IE|$>q0Z  
]6%| L  
C. emotion D. fascination `527vK 6  
8\[6z0+;  
28. Although there are several variations on the exact format that worksheets can take, they are all similar in their aspects. m\Dbb.vBvW  
E)`+ 1j  
A. potential B. social kweypIB  
mtHw! *  
C. essential D. partial X&K1>dgWP  
N[AX29  
29. any advice which you can get from the interviewer and follow up suggestions for improving your presentation and qualifications. xL mo?Y*  
2"NJt9w  
A. Take the most of B. Keep the most of 3.8d"  
wp} PQw:  
C. Have the most of D. Make the most of ' chxO*G  
$oh}!Smt  
30. There is a loss of self-confidence, a sense of personal failure, great anger and a feeling of being utterly . D].1X0^hp  
_PJd1P.k  
A. let alone B. let out %rYd=Ri  
M[SWMVN{  
C. let down D. let on :]:q=1;c  
~ZT(@w  
31. Japan remains tied to the Western camp partly because the relationship has become to her economy and politics over forty years' association. 6VIi nuOW  
<D =U=5  
A. integral B. unilateral ZMoN  
u>d, 6 !  
C. rational D. hierarchical ]x?`&f8i  
10t9Qv/  
32. With most online recruitment services, jobseekers must choose their words carefully the search engine will never make the correct match. (oxe'\  
H:2#/1Oz>  
A. because B. whereas z^@98:x  
v, 9MAZ ,  
C. provided D. otherwise <$/'iRtRzW  
j#zUO&Q@  
33. The child should always the same basic procedure: seeing the whole word--hearing and pronouncing--writing from memory. !Yd7&#s  
?X~Keb  
A. go through B. take over ?o?~Df&  
Fn1|Wt *  
C. respond to D. carry off' rISg`-  
*+rO3% ;t  
34. That MGM Grand Youth Center is open to children 3-12 years old what hotel they are staying in. CWHTDao  
0"3l2Eo  
A. regardless in B. regardless of ^1nQDd*  
#Fm,mO$v  
C. regardless on D. regardless from XcD$xFDZ  
+a 0q?$\  
35. Ever since Geoffrey sent a sizeable cheque to a well-known charity he's been with requests for money from all sides. G&y< lh  
PS7ta?V QC  
A. devastated B. smashed _vr> - :G  
Y|stxeOC  
C. bombarded D. cracked -T$%MX  
dn!#c=  
Section B (0.5 point each) {$5?[KD  
}V:ZGP#!'  
Directions: In each of the following sentences there are four parts underlined and marked A, B, C, and D. Indicate which Of the four parts is incorrectly used. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice by drawing a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. `\Z7It?aDs  
"&lQ5]N.%  
36. The opinion polls were showing(A) 76 percent of the responders( more concerned about the shambles of American education(C) than about any other problem on(D) the political agenda. ]jQj/` v1  
mqUn3F3  
37. Kenny G is not a musician(A) I really had much of ( an opinion about him(C) until recently(D). Jvac|rN  
0&wbGbg(W  
38. I was twenty-five years old, and I'd just been laid down(A) from my job as division( manager at(C) a mortgage banking(D) firm. p(vmMWR!  
$S Kax#[  
39. We knew so little(A) about equipments( , disposal(C) techniques, the whole thing(D). jjLx60|{  
g4z*6L,u  
40. It was so disgusted(A), and somewhat hazardous( , not to mention(C) a huge hassle and monetary expense(D). ~$w9L998+  
# O <,  
41. Of course, I am aware of(A) what he has played since( , the success he has had(C), and the controversy(D) has surrounded him among musicians and serious listeners. >x'R7z23  
X3mHg5zt  
42. That抯 not saying(A) it's easy, though( . There are definitely(C) jobs that wore on(D) you. Qze.1h  
:yFUlO:  
43. Perhaps not surprisingly(A), the colleagues whom I thought less high( , and whom I portrayed less admiringly(C), did not share my view(D). d0U-:S-  
-}:; EGUtd  
44. The Times, financially(A) successful it may be( , is a powerful but(C), at this moment, not very healthy institution(D). p#;I4d G  
3mP251"dIW  
45. Having imposed temporary sentences(A) of unprecedented( severity on the five defendants who pleaded guilt(C), the judge told them that their actual sentences might depend on their cooperation with(D) subsequent investigations. s]X0} "cz  
C!X"0]@FA  
PART III CLOZE TEST (15 minutes, 15 points) 8@rddk   
Rq@M~;p  
Directions: For each blank in the following passage, choose the best answer from the four choices given in the opposite column. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. Te d1Ky2O  
 4>R)2g  
When we think about addiction to drags or alcohol, we frequently focus on negative aspects, ignoring the pleasures that accompany drinking or drug-taking. 46 the essence of any serious addiction is a pursuit of pleasure, a search for a "high" that normal life does not 47 . It is only the inability to function 48 the addictive substance that is dismaying, the dependence of the organism upon a certain experience and a .49 inability to function normally without it. Thus a person will take two or three 50 at the end of the day not merely for the pleasure drinking provides, but also because he "doesn't feel 51 without them.. ^ L?2y/  
<Dk6o`7^N  
52 does not merely pursue a pleasurable experience and need to 53 it in order to function normally. He needs to repeat it again and again. Something about that particular experience makes life without it 54 complete. Other potentially pleasurable experiences are no longer possible, 55 under the spell of the addictive experience, his life is peculiarly 56. The addict craves an experience and yet he is never really satisfied. The organism may be 57 _sated, but soon it begins to crave again. 'LX]/ D  
m:-=K  
Finally a serious addiction is58 a harmless pursuit of pleasure by Its distinctly destructive elements. A heroin addict, for instance, leads a 59 life: his increasing need for heroin in increasing doses prevents him from working, from maintaining relationships, from developing in human ways. 60 an alcoholic's life is narrowed and dehumanized by his dependence on alcohol. Ah :d2*SR4  
8.WZC1N  
46. A. Hence B. Because u; G-46  
Fswr @du  
C. And yet D. Moreover WzhY4"p  
GtLn h~)  
47. A. supply B. resume 2I$-&c]  
qbx}9pp}g  
C. accept D. prevent ioT+,li  
CbW>yr  
48. A. except B. without a 8}!9kL  
S;tv4JY  
C. with D. besides / n@by4;W  
}rA _4%  
49. A. frustrating B. surprising irooFR[L9  
\Z8:^ct.P  
C. unchanging D. increasing UF PSQ  
WH lvd  
50. A. drags B. drinks .azA1@V|  
_>u0vGF-  
C. doses D. draughts "w&G1kw5I  
M32Z 3<  
51. A. normal B. content ov|/=bzro  
aTFT'(O,  
C. delighted D. spirited ~8tb^  
- p*j9 z  
52. A. A drugtaker B. The addicted d9pZg=$8  
n-x%<j(Xf  
C. An addict D. The drugger Om5+j:YM  
z;1qYW[-A  
53. A. perform B. make d)'J:  
&XZS}n  
C. experience D. initiate HwxME%w  
/2Qgg`^)  
54. A. other than B. rather than EL:Az~]V  
[`U9  
C. more than D. less than f[+N=vr  
(4"Azo*~![  
55. A. while B. thus V[fcP;   
Q|Go7MQZ@k  
C. even if D. for 'w`3( ':=  
|yYu!+U  
56. A. distorted B. rectified n+H);Dg<8  
|n*<H|  
C. exaggerated D. improved ZE4xF8  
ZuVes?&j  
57. A. eventually B. temporarily }1? 2  
yQdoy^d/4  
C. accordingly D. subsequently e>Q_&6L  
3}V -'!  
58. A. identical with B. consistent with B^l m'/,@  
zMbz_22*  
C. separated from D. distinguished from ofHe8a8  
+5oK91o[y  
59. A. destructive B. Dissatisfied ,-.a! a  
x$;kA}gy  
C. damaged D. derivative r0fEW9wL  
/d-d8n  
60. A. Similarly B. Conversely ht5eb"c+ 8  
Ln@n6*%(/  
C. Naturally D. Generally L6f$ID:  
RqE|h6/  
PART IV READING COMPREHENSION (60 minutes, 30 points) ?h7(,39^>  
JsyLWv@6xa  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. QX >Pni  
fFNwmH-jv  
Passage 1 ^Uq"hT(41  
EH~XN9b  
It took no time at all for the native Americans who first greeted Christopher Columbus to be all but erased from the face of the earth. For about a thousand years the peaceful people known as the Taino had thrived in modem-day Cuba and many other islands. But less than 30 years after Columbus' arrival, the Taino would be destroyed by Spanish weaponry, forced labor and European diseases. Unlike their distant cousins, the Inca, Aztecs and Maya, the Taino left no pyramids or temples-no obvious signs that they had ever existed. 8}<4f|?  
N_eZz#);  
But it is a mistake to assume-as many scholars have until quite recently that the absence of abundant artifacts meant the Taino were necessarily more primitive than the grander civilizations of Central and South America. They simply used less durable materials: the Taino relied on wood for building and most craftwork, and much of what they made has disintegrated over the centuries. However, thanks largely to two remarkable digs undertaken recently, archaeologists will be able to enrich their knowledge of the Taino. GMJ</xG  
e9@7GaL`"S  
In a village on the northern coast of Cuba, a Canadian-Cuban team discovered the nearly intact remains of a Taino dwelling buried in the dirt. This site may have been one of the Taino's major centers. Meanwhile, deep in the forests of the Dominican Republic, a U.S.-Dominican team has also made an important discovery: a 240-ft.-deep Taino cenote, or ceremonial well, where hundreds of objects .thrown in as offerings have been preserved in the oxygen-poor Water. 0VBbSn}Z<  
h4lrt  
It will take a much longer time to understand the Taino fully, but they have been rescued from the ignoble status of footnotes in the chapter of history that began with the arrival of Columbus. /R!/)sg  
 }J-+^  
61. The main idea of Paragraph 1 is c037#&Q%#  
|)W N%#v  
A. Christopher Columbus returned the Taino's greeting with cruelty. xv:VW<  
WPu{ ]<pl  
B. The Europeans' coming brought an end to the existence of the Taino. N]iu o.  
>4@/x{{  
C. The Taino once prosperous in modem-day Cuba now has no trace on earth. dzn[4  
FEzjP$  
D. Spanish weaponry would have crashed the Taino but for Columbus' arrival. /2#1Oi)o  
hA!k kNqV  
62. It is assumed the Taino had a comparatively low civilization mostly because 8fX<,*#I  
=vc8u&L2  
A. the Taino had produced no written records. \C eP.,<  
W]U}, g8Z  
B. the Taino had built no pyramids mid temples. 2qkZ B0[  
!Ey=  
C. there has been little wooden structure the Taino relied on. 32KL~32Y  
c>3AR17+5  
D. there has been few remains showing the life of the Taino's. 1YxG<K]  
fu]mxGPc  
63. Which statement is true concerning the Taino? 4UV<Q*B\F  
M7JQw/,xs  
A. They were enslaved by foreign invaders. ]1k"'XG4,  
xG|T_|?  
B. They were more warlike than other Indians. 'gQ0=6(\  
|>U:Pb(  
C. They were the most short-lived of all the civilizations. 01^+HEbm  
q*E<~!jL  
D. They were buried deep in the dirt or oxygen-poor water. d$}z,~s N  
8nSEAr~  
64. What does the italicized word "ignoble" (in the last sentence) probably mean? @V>BG8Y  
d%wy@h  
A. unfortunate B. unsuccessful 8M,AFZ>F  
?n0Z4 8%  
C. unpromising D. unworthy `{GI^kgJ9  
_9<nM48+t  
Passage 2 l}jC$B`5  
6#SUfK;  
Already lasers can obliterate skin blemishes, topically applied drugs can smooth facial lines and injected agents can remove deep wrinkles. Future products will be faster, borer and longer lasting. "New substances will be developed by entrepreneurs," says Brian Mayou, an aesthetic plastic surgeon, "that will be more successful than liquid silicone that we use today to eradicate wrinkles." The next major breakthrough, says Mel Brahmn, plastic surgeon and chief executive of the Harley Medical Group, will be laser treatment that needs no recovery period. Jdc{H/10  
f}%paE"  
Nicholas Lowe, clinical professor of dermatology at the University of Los Angeles, adds: "There will be more efficient anti-oxidants to help reduce sun damage and aging. There will also be substances that increase the production of new collagen and elastic tissue to maintain the elasticity of youthful skin." NQpC]#n  
A$=h'!$  
Lee Shreider, a research cosmetic chemist, says that we may be able to look better without any kind of operation as semi-permanent make-up gets better. G3wkqd  
 'K7m!y  
"Crooked noses will be improved by effectively sealing on shaded colors that either enhance or subdue areas of the face. We will be able to straighten eyebrows and lips making the face more symmetrical-which remains one of the keys to beauty~and even close blocked pores with permanent, custom-designed foundation." &Fg|52  
i] I{7k  
The development of the safe sun tan is a potential gold mine. Being researched at the University of Arizona, but a long way from reality, is the injectable tan. Professor Lowe is optimistic: "There will almost certainly be a safe way of developing a sunless tan that protects against sun damage. In animal research, we've applied creams to guinea pigs that can actually 'turn on' some of the genes that produce pigmentation without any sunlight exposure." : FN-.1C  
`:>N.9'o  
65. What is the main topic of the passage? ]I<w;.z  
92 oUQ EK  
A. Inventions in cosmetology. # X`t~Y'  
W_bp~Wu  
B. New discovery in face-filling. pg9 feIW1  
49iqrP'  
C. A bright future for facial make-up. ][TA7pDPV  
vXLGdv::  
D. The development of beauty culture. 6F8TiR&  
_X]\#^UiO2  
66. According to the passage, what has been used to remove deep wrinkles? ]VcuD05"C  
F(DM$5z[  
A. Applied drugs. |QHIB?C?`  
s/\<;g:u^  
B. Liquid silicone. 8mM`v  
"~:P-]`G  
C. Laser treatment. 8I]rC<O6:  
| <bZ*7G  
D. Anti-oxidant.  ZE[NQ8  
,:6.Gi)|  
67. Paragraph 4 suggests that one could improve effectively one's appearance concerning the nose, eyebrows, lips, etc. !%/2^  
%{B4M#~  
A. by applying certain lotions. ufB9\yl{~  
W_bA .z T{  
B. by having a beauty operation. qNX+!Y}y  
U]PsL3:  
C. by changing the face shape. _T(77KLn;  
ZfU &X{  
D. by blocking several pores. Ch'e'EmI  
4&<zkAMR  
68. As implied in the last paragraph, the injectable tan is being researched to meet the demand of the people who z0 J:"M  
P/[}$(&:  
A. refuse to be exposed to the sun. ;%mdSaf  
r"W<1H u  
B. refuse to apply suntan creams. wpf  
Mi<}q@]e  
C. want to get a tan for beauty. |]'gd)%S\  
5|g#>sx>`q  
D. want to try gene pigmentation. !|-:"hE1h  
J:dNV <A^  
Passage 3 ~EO=;a_  
"Xj>dB1~  
There are faults which age releases us from, and there are virtues, which turn to vices with the lapse of years. The worst of these is thrift, which m early and middle life is wisdom and duty to practice for a provision against destitution. As time goes on this virtue is apt to turn into the ugliest, cruelest, shabbiest of the vices. Then the victim of it finds himself storing past all probable need of saving for himself or those next him, to the deprivation of the remoter kin of the race. In the earlier time when gain was symbolized by gold or silver, the miser had a sensual joy in the touch, of his riches, m hearing the coins clink In their fall through his fingers, and m gloating upon their increase sensible to the hand and eye. Then the miser had his place among the great figures of misdoing; he was of a dramatic effect, like a murderer or a robber; and something of this bad distinction clung to him even when his coins had changed to paper currency, the clean, white notes of the only English bank, or the greenbacks of our innumerable banks of issue; but when the sense of fiches had been transmuted to the balance in his favor at his banker's, or the bonds in his drawer at the safety-deposit vault, all splendor had gone out of his ~ice. His bad eminence was gone, but he clung to the lust of gain which had ranked trim with the picturesque wrong-doers, and which only ruin from without could save him from, unless he gave his remnant of strength to saving himself from it. Most aging men are sensible of all this, but few have the frankness of that aging man who once said that he who died rich died disgraced, and died the other day in the comparative poverty of fifty millions. ZW ZKyJQ  
fl71{jJ_  
69. This short passage is mainly to tell that )AXa.y  
BFPy~5W  
A. man becomes increasingly greedy when getting old. kj@m5`G  
~- BIU Z;  
B. a miser can be honest if he does no wrong act. x?2y^3<5  
TB#oauJm,  
C. age can help convert some virtue into a vice. $Hal]  
yG:Pg MrB  
D. misers all started from trying to be thrifty. '_%`0p1  
X`0`A2 n  
70. According to the passage, one is thought vicious when he K~ V UD(  
}>?"bcJ  
A. gathers up money at the sacrifice of all his family members. 4Dv42fO  
5uD'Kd$H  
B. practices endless thrifty to guard his people from poverty. 3ms{gZ bw  
S*a_  
C. stores continuously for his own and his relatives' needs. "uD^1'IW2  
Q);^gV  
D. saves too much but wouldn't spend it for the necessary. E{E%nXR)  
X-J<gI(Y  
71. The italicized expression "gloating upon" probably means X kuZ2(  
$jNp-5+Q;  
A. thinking with slight guilt. ['_G1_p  
#AUa'qB t  
B. seeing with much satisfaction. M\jTeB"Z  
5:~BGK&{Y  
C. touching with great awe. *m`KY)b=l  
jl~ ?I*Gr  
D. hearing with little delight. zIgD R  
VU 8 ~hF  
72. The passage implies that what could stop a miser from lusting for money might be i*Ee(m]I  
w|WehNGr  
A. his frankness. Vq1v e;(8s  
1U;p+k5c  
B. his eminence. j?'It`s  
gv,8Wo  
C. his death. l*z.20^P  
K\`>'C2_V  
D. his glory. WZJ}HHePr  
L/n?1'he  
73. The words "in the comparative poverty of fifty millions" at the end of the passage suggests a notion that `+O7IyTM A  
o$_,2$>mn  
A. stinginess may cause a very rich man to die very pitiful. ]M5w!O!  
?O<D&CvB  
B. rich people may still take 50 million as comparatively little. {expx<+4F  
v\:P _J  
C. one remains discontent with all he's gained until his death. `@07n]KB  
#0;ULZ99aH  
D. the rich are inconsiderate of the majority that live in poverty. jjrhl  
%\2w 1  
Passage 4 .y~vn[qN  
zwa%$U  
If a mother pushes her small son in a swing, giving only a light force each time he returns, eventually he will be swinging quite high. The child can do this for himself by using his legs to increase the motion, but both the mother's push and the child's leg movements must occur at the proper moment, or the extent of the swing will not increase. In physics, increasing the swing is increasing the amplitude; the length of the rope on the swing determines its natural oscillation period. This ability of an object to move periodically or to vibrate when stimulated by a force operating in its natural period is called resonance. ~t-!{F  
`gFE/i18  
Resonance is observed many times without consciously thinking about it; for example, one may find an annoying vibration or shimmy in an automobile, caused by a loose engine mount vibrating with increasing amplitude because of an out-of-round tire. The bulge on the tire slaps the pavement with each revolution; at the natural resonance point~ of the engine mount, it will begin to vibrate. Such vibrations can result in considerable damage if allowed to persist. Anther destructive example of resonance is the shattering of a crystal goblet by the production of a musical tone at the natural resonant point of the goblet. The energy of the sound waves causes vibration in the glass; as its amplitude increases, the motion in the glass exceeds the elasticity of the goblet, and it shatters. o)pso\;  
j6_tFJT  
An instrument called a tachometer makes use of the principle of resonance. It consists of many tiny bars, loosely fastened together and arranged so that each bar can slide independently of the others. Movement of the bars causes changes in a dial. When placed next to a rotating motor or engine, the tachometer picks up slight vibrations which are transferred to the resonant bars. These bars begin to move, and the resulting dial may be read to find the revolutions per minute of the motor very quickly. c;dMXv   
A%$ZB9#zQ  
74. An object, if moving rhythmically when stimulated in a natural period, is said to wjeuZNYf  
da/Tms`T  
A. vibrate. J@vL,C)E6  
R#x~f  
B. resonate. ~l@ h  
Z>si%Npm\  
C. swing. %2jRJ  
)Z0bMO<  
D. oscillate. y]e[fZ`L  
-)p S\$GC  
75. The distance a swing moves from its resting position is called its L H8iHB  
9cwy;au  
A. revolution. ?8GggJC  
;"K;D@xzh]  
B. movement. zG. \xmp  
^I CSs]}1  
C. frequency. -0>gq$/N=^  
f"}g5eg+  
D. amplitude. $%P?2g"j,  
FP_q?=~rFs  
76. A tachometer is an instrument that uses resonance to determine dz>2/'  
#{DX*;1m  
A. the speed of a motor in revolutions. 5Y(<T~  
L HW\A8  
B. the frequency at which a motor vibrates. 'OTQiI^t=  
fR$_=WWN>h  
C. the amplitude of an engine that oscillates. js..k*j  
d^(7\lw |  
D. the changes in a dial within a car engine. @?vC4+'  
R9z:K_d,  
77. An annoying vibration can be caused at the natural resonance of the car's engine mount 9Gc4mwu  
Ht9QINo  
A. if the engine moves too fast. [`4  
yCvP-?2  
B. if the engine's amplitude increases. 77b^d9! ~  
R0g^0K.  
C. if a tire gets out of balance. 1p5n}|  
>'1 h  
D. if a damage occurs in the engine. ?yc{@|  
y<g1q"F  
78. In which of the following cases is it useful to consider the relationship between the length of an oscillating object and its natural period? 9$?Sts}6&  
Fd86P.Df  
A. Adjusting the speed of a car. &.l^> #  
vvI23!H  
B. Adjusting a clock pendulum. xwF mY'o  
w7@TM%nS  
C. Adjusting tire balance. yT~rql  
-3K01p  
D. Adjusting engine mounts. (Z0_e&=*  
QR2S67-  
Passage 5 ]t0St~qUL)  
J= [D'h  
I was introduced to the concept of literacy animator in Oladumi Arigbede's (1994) article on high illiteracy rates among women and school dropout rates among girls. According to Arigbede, literacy animators view their role as assisting in the self-liberating development of people in the world who are struggling for a more meaningful life. Animators are a family of deeply concerned and committed people whose gut-level rejection of mass human pauperization compels them to intervene on the side of the marginalized. Their motivation is not derived from a love of literacy as merely another technical life skill, and they accept that literacy is never culturally or ideologically neutral. d9&   
a$j ~YUG_  
Arigbede writes from her experiences as an animator working with women and men in Nigeria. She believes that literacy animators have to make a clear choice about whose culture and whose ideology will be fostered among those with whom they work. Do literacy educators in the United States consider whether the instruction they pursue conflicts with their students' traditional cultures or community, or fosters illiteracies in learners' first or home languages or dialects and in their orality? Vel}lQD  
"<"m}rE?Q  
Some approaches to literacy instruction represent an ideology of individualism, control, and competition. Consider, for example, the difference in values conveyed and represented when students engage in choral reading versus the practice of having one student read out loud to the group. To identify as a literacy animator is to choose the ideology of "sharing, solidarity, love, equity, co-operation with and respect of both nature and other human beings". Literacy pedagogy that matches the animator ideology works on maintaining the languages and cultures of millions of minority children who at present are being forced to accept the language and culture of the dominant group. It might lead to assessment that examines the performance outcomes of a community of literacy learners and the social significance of their uses of literacy, as opposed to measuring what an individual can do as a reader and writer on a standardized test. Shor (1993) describes literacy animators as problem-posing, community-based, dialogic educators. Do our teacher-education textbooks on reading and language arts promote the idea that teachers should explore problems from a community-based dialogic perspective? zM,r0Z  
.VCF[AleS  
79. A literacy animator is one who )bWopc  
)ViBH\.*p  
A. struggles for a more meaningful life. s&hr$`V4  
P8(hHuO  
B. frees people from poverty and illiteracy. uzI=.j  
[!De|,u(^  
C. is committed to marginalize the illiterate. ZTibF'\5N  
VV{>Kq+&,v  
D. is concerned with what is behind illiteracy. }T0O~c{$i  
Khb Ku0Z  
80. The author suggests that literacy educators in the US in a way j U $G<G  
_jc_(;KPF  
A. promote students' home languages. <PVwf`W.  
o@BV&|  
B. force students to accept their culture. Q~tXT_  
/)T~ (o|i  
C. teach nothing but reading and writing. }jUsv8`}8R  
_1NK9dp:  
D. consider literacy as of non-neutral nature. LFI#wGhXVk  
HhL;64OYa  
81. Arigbede worked with Nigerians probably to cT(6>@9@  
jQ,Vs=*H  
A. teach American customs and ideology. V"Z8-u  
~ ;LzTL  
B. make a choice of culture to be fostered. NJ)Dw`|%|)  
jM&di  
C. reject the values of the dominant class. F~8'3!<9  
WFiX=@SS  
D. help maintain Nigerian language and culture. 'Y/0:)  
i1|>JM[V  
82. According to the author, "choral reading" may represent K J\kR  
8f/KNh7#s  
A. individualism. _Z Sp$>)/  
~%8P0AP  
B. collectivism. ?0_ <u4  
\4L ur  
C. competition. iCPm7AU  
R>* z8n  
D. immersion. n&njSj/  
RkE)2q[5  
83. Animator ideology emphasizes more _Xt/U>N  
V9,<>  
A. the social function of literacy. d MH_:jb  
r*+~(83k  
B. students?performance in tests. @"@|O>KJ  
->rqr#  
C. the dominant group's language. F(yR\)!C  
c|k_[8L  
D. the attainment of life skills. k1<^Ept  
!?nO0Ao-$  
84. It is implied by the author that, because of the kind of teacher education in the US, teachers there tend to ignore LUbj^iQ9  
sfyLG3$/  
A. constant development of new teaching approaches. 5rows]EJJl  
w'K7$F51  
B. using their own wisdom in problem-solving. TQ]gvi |m  
gx.\H3y  
C. talented performances of minority students. ;OlnIxH(W  
~.: { Ik]  
D. community-based literacy enhancement. < D/K[mz-  
?6CLUu|7n  
Passage 6 KL'1)G"OH  
itYoR-XJ  
Scientists have known for more than two, decades that cancer is a disease of the genes. Something scrambles the DNA inside a nucleus, and suddenly, instead of dividing in a measured fashion, a cell begins to copy itself furiously. Unlike an ordinary cell, it never stops. But describing the process isn't the same as figuring it out. Cancer cells are so radically different from normal ones that it's almost impossible to untangle the sequence of events that made them that way. So for years researchers have been attacking the problem by taking normal cells and trying to determine what changes will turn them cancerous-always without success. nQ\`]_C  
\>6*U r  
According to a report in the current issue of Nature, a team of scientists based at M.I.T.'s Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research has finally managed to make human cells malignant---a feat they accomplished with two different cell types by inserting just three altered genes into their DNA. While these manipulations were done only in lab dishes and won't lead to any immediate treatment, they appear to be a crucial step in understanding the disease. This is a "landmark paper," wrote Jonathan Weitzman and Moshe Yaniv of the Pasteur Institute in Paris, in an accompanying commentary. SE+hB  
!|Q&4N S  
The dramatic new result traces back to a breakthrough in 1983, when the Whitehead's Robert Weinberg and colleagues showed that mouse cells would become cancerous when subjected to two altered genes. But when they tried such alterations on human cells, they didn't work. Since then, scientists have learned that mouse cells differ from human cells in an important respect: they have higher levels of an enzyme called telomerase. That enzyme keeps caplike structures called telomeres on the ends of chromosomes from getting shorter with each round of cell division. Such shortening is part of a cell's aging process, and since cancer cells keep dividing forever, the Whitehead group reasoned that making human cells more mouselike might also make them cancerous. f'oTN!5WF  
?>;aD  
The strategy worked. The scientists took connective-tissue and kidney cells and introduce three altered genes---one that makes cells divide rapidly; another that disables two substances meant to rein in excessive division; and a third that promotes the production of telomerase, which made the cells essentially immortal. They'd created a tumor in a test tube. "Some people believed that telomerase wasn't that important," says the Whitehead's William Hahn, the study's lead author. "This allows us to say with some certainty that it is." <D.E .^Y  
N;3!oo4  
85. The problem that has been annoying cancer researchers for years is the difficulty in telling uOA/r@7I}S  
g>VtPS5 y  
A. how cancer cells are formed. 3+Lwtb}XPF  
v WXo#  
B. why cancer cells never stop dividing. G3_7e A#;  
l ms^|?  
C. why normal cells can mm into cancer cells. =MqEbQn{C3  
RnkV)ed(  
D. how different normal cells are from cancer cells. %@PcQJg U<  
dHY@V> D'-  
86. Whitehead's scientists have succeeded in SSI> +A  
}rJqMZ]w  
A. developing malignant cells in human bodies. i3)3. WK^  
8XH;<z<oJ  
B. making normal human cells cancerous. DghyE`  
w ~+*Vd~U  
C. controlling the change of human cells. &MX&5@ Vu  
Qr R+3kxM  
D. changing the genes of cancer cells. &b@_ah+f  
xQZOGq   
87. In the 1983 experiment, human cells didn't work the way mouse cells did because the former q?j7bp ]  
>J9Qr#=H2  
A. were easier to become aged. 0") _%  
Zg_b(ks  
B. checked telomerase in dividing. vVBWh Y]  
gX!K%qJBg  
C. had short ends of chromosomes. A5R"|<UPR  
?.,F3@W "  
D. lacked telomeres for cell division. (1=@.srAzK  
_oZ3n2v}@  
88. To make human cells more mouselike scientists tried 0Y0z7A:  
&DQ_qOKD  
A. to subject them to two more genes. rv{Wti[  
-n@,r%`UK  
B. to keep the division from slowing down. tuH#Cy  
&4wSX{c/P  
C. to promote the production of telomerase. &(< Gr0  
*vNAm(\N  
D. to prevent excessive cells copying. k Jz^\ Re  
~p+ `pwjY1  
89. One key factor in creating tumor with human cells is .&u @-Vm  
<DqFfrpc  
A. lengthening the ends of chromosomes. &x r(Kb  
cm!vuoB~~  
B. altering the structure of telomeres. :"Vmy.xq  
b 2\J<Nw  
C. increasing the levels of telomerase. 3 JlM{N6+  
Cf 202pF3y  
D. modulating the cell dividing process. Nt tu)wr  
>d;U>P5.  
90. According to the passage, the Whitehead research has taken a big step in *"jlsI  
,*[N_[  
A. understanding cancer. fG?a"6~  
]'<}kJtN.  
B. curing cancer disease. "MPS&OK  
8&hxU@T~  
C. eliminating cancer. \"I418T K  
;5|d[r}k3  
D. preventing cancer. e[Z-&'  
aYtW!+#  
PAPERTWO B%x?VOdBE  
fHuWBC_YO  
PARTV TRANSLATION (25minutes,10points) e6y!,My<  
#T>pu/EQX_  
Directions:Put the following passage into English.Write your English version in the proper space on your Answer Sheet Ⅱ. ZKS]BbMZa  
),,0T/69+9  
科学是开放的知识体系,是一种属于全人类的不断进步的文化。科学是历史的,也在不断改变、塑造自身的形象。只要科学以人类的最大福祉、人性的提升为目标,科学就能重塑自我,赢得人们的依赖。但对科学的尊重不能是盲目的,赶时髦的。科学对于生产力甚至赚钱都有帮助,但科学并不沦为一种经济手段,也不沦为利益竞争对手之间的筹码。 DEPsud;  
&[ |Z2}  
PARTVI WRITING (35minutes,15points) >qMzQw2  
!h^_2IX  
Directions:Write an essay of at least l50words on the topic given below. Use the proper space on your Answer Sheet Ⅱ. *I9O63  
z@<jZM  
There is no denying that the average living standard of our country has greatly increased since the economic reform started20 years ago.However, neither is it deniable that there has been a growing contrast in income between the rich and the poor. What do you think of this contrast in our country? State your opinion with appropriate supporting details.
级别: 初级博友
显示用户信息 
地下室  发表于: 2007-11-19   
中科院2002年博士英语入学试题 IR8qFWDZ  
huazi 发表于 2007-4-18 18:55:00 0,cU^HMA  
PART ? STRUCTURE&VOCABULARY ( 25minutes,15points) E]p D p /D  
z>*\nomOn=  
sectionA( 0.5 point eath) EQy~ ^7V B  
0.~s>xXp  
direction: choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your machine-scoring answer sheet. L7yEgYB  
AI$\wp#aw  
16.Knowing that the cruel criminal has done a lot of unlawful things, I feel sure that I have no __________ but to report him to the local police. 0|mC k  
`nd$6i^#W  
A. time B. chance C. authority D. alternative "Qk)EY  
e=ry_@7  
17.Behind his large smiles and large cigars, his eyes often seemed to __________regret. Ki[&DvW:  
@ n$/2y_.  
A. teem B. brim with C. come with D. look with AD7&-=p&w  
F ^)( 7}ph  
18.There is only one difference between an old man and a young one: the young one has a glorious future before him and the old one has a _______future behind him. 2}9M7Z",2  
b}ODc]3  
A. splendid B. conspicuous C. uproarious D. imminent I7;|`jN5K  
CeUC[cUQU  
19. That tragedy distressed me so much that I used to keep indoors and go out only _________necessity. N1JM[< PP  
76cT}l&.h8  
A. within reach of B. for fear of C. by means of D. in case of 1(WBvAPS  
>UXNR`?  
20. A young man sees a sunset and unable to understand of express the emotion that it _________in him, concludes that it must be the gateway to a world that lies beyond. x.q"FXu  
Pu,2a+0N  
A. reflects B. retains C. rouses D. radiates V?n=yg  
? RI D4xu!  
21.______________the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8-10minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. PebyH"M(  
w u0q.]  
A. Turn off B. Turn over C. Turn down D. Turn up $nNCBC=  
j;EH[3  
22.Banks shall be unable to ___________,or claim relief against the first 15%of any loan or bankrupted debt left with them . KAnq8B! h  
Pk`3sfz  
A. write off B. put aside C. shrink from D. come over 8Q73h/3  
ZDmY${J  
23.I am to inform you ,that you may ,if you wish , attend the inquiry ,and at the inspectors discretion state your case _________or through an entrusted representative. bg^ <e}{<H  
m-<m[49  
A. in person B. in depth C. in secret D. in excess kTm}VTr 1  
A (+%DZ  
24.In his view, though Hong Kong has no direct cultural identity, local art is thriving by “being ___________,”being open to all kinds of art. [=^Wj` ;  
,hE989x<iI  
A. gratifying B. predominating C. excelling D. accommodating U,Fyi6{~  
c-ql  
25.In some countries preschool education in nursery schools or kindergartens _________the 1stgrade. 6>z,7 [  
0@Z}.k30  
A. leads B. precedes C. forwards D. advances JgBC:t^\pV  
?$VkMu$2k  
26.Desert plants ________ two categories according to the way they deal with the problem of surviving drought. :a9   
;?%_jB$P  
A. break down B. fall into C. differ in D. refer to dj{~!}  
-! ^D8^s  
27.In the airport, I could hear nothing except the roar of aircraft engines which _________ all other sounds. Y} 6@ w  
`Ay:;I  
A. dwarfed B. diminished C. drowned D. relative ~JO.h$1C  
@4n>I+6*&  
28.Criticism without suggesting areas of improvement is not _________ and should be avoided if possible. e9>~mtx  
aa{+,(  
A. constructive B. productive C. descriptive D. relative /O~Np|~v  
-F MonM  
29. The Committee pronounced four members expelled for failure to provide information in the ____________ of investigations. d0;?GQYn:  
%< `D' V@  
A. case B. chase C. cause D. course `\f 3Ij,  
cZ#%tT#  
30. Since neither side was ready to __________ what was necessary for peace, hostility were resumed in 1980. KtGbpcS$f  
l2I%$|)d  
A. precede B. recede C. concede D. intercede #/{3qPN?@  
Y=5P=wE  
31.Such an _________act of hostility can only lead to war. F< XOt3VY.  
$tej~xZK  
A. overt B. episodic C. ample D. ultimate r-.>3J  
d</F6aM\  
32._________ both in working life and everyday living to different sets of values, and expectations places a severe strain on the individual. [bRE=Zr$Ry  
J_?v=dW`  
A. Recreation B. Transaction C. Disclosure D. Exposure b'Km-'MtH  
U_ l9CZ  
33. It would then be replaced by interim government, which would _________be replaced by a permanent government after four months. v*%52_   
V@[C=K  
A. in step B. in turn B. in practice D. in haste n 4 y]h  
8KYIHw  
34. Haven’t I told you I don’t want you keeping ____________ with those awful riding-about bicycle boys? x0WinLQ  
A+3SLB  
A. company B. acquaintance C. friends D. place Rc &m4|cw7  
aYDo0?kF'  
35.Consumers deprived of the information and advice they needed were quite simply _________ every cheat in the marketplace. lRb>W31"  
M&/%qF 15  
A. at the mercy of B. in lieu of C. by courtesy of D. for the price of 5OzEY7K)  
`G_~zt/  
Section B (0.5 point each) bzxf*b1I  
~f[ Y;  
Directions : in each of the following sentences there are four parts underlined and marked A, B, C, and D. Indicate which of the four parts is incorrectly used. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice by drawing a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. |`t 6lVO,Z  
=/`]lY&  
36. The auctioneer must know fair accurately the current market values of the goods he is Fxc_s/^=t  
&K{8- t  
A B C D J=t}9.H~=  
&lLfVa-l  
selling. `;J`O02  
 ,w3-*z  
37.Children are among the most frequent victims of violent, drug-related crimes that have nothing M/dgW` c  
X;N?L%Pp  
A B C r PK.Q)g  
xcU!bDV  
doing with the cost of acquiring the drugs. W(R~K -  
| @$I<  
D #[bL9R5NC  
)N8bO I  
38. A large collection of contemporary photographs, including some taken by Mary are on display eNK[P=-  
75zU,0"j  
A B C [I3Nu8  
V< W;[#"  
at the museum. <Q\KS  
h_[{- WC  
D .i I{  
$3G^}A"  
39.There is much in our life which we do not control and we are not even responsible for. zMFTkDY  
eIY`RMo (  
A B C D "TZY)\{L  
$t.oGd@N  
40. Capital inflows will also tend to increase the international value of the dollar, make it more Hf?@<4  
mn?F;= qE  
A B C `\62 iUN  
f7~dn#<@  
difficult to sell U.S. exports. 1vj@ qw3  
FL^ _)`  
D 9 A ?{}c  
R+Hu?Dv&F  
41. It can be argued that the problems, even something as fundamental as the ever-increased world BZ?3=S1*  
&/]en|f"  
A B C >X$JeME3  
E(4c&  
population, have been caused by technological adcance. FT- .gi0  
z/ 1$G"  
D at_*Zh(  
hi1Ial\Y  
42. It takes the most cool-headed and good-tempered of drivers to resist the temptation to revenge B@&sG 5ES  
PlzM`g$A  
A B C q5SPyfE[  
OB(o OPH  
as subfected to uncivilized behavior. 1RYrUg"s"  
VO|ECB2e  
D 2F:qaz  
.d1ff] ;  
43. While experts in basic science are important, skilled talents should be the overriding majority .C% 28fH  
5)!g.8-!  
A B C $ZBYOA  
A9MM^j V8  
since they are at heavy demand in the market. 10FiA;  
.xsfq*3e5  
D ^?VQ$o2  
t@qf/1  
44.Retailers offered deep discounts and extra hours this weekend in the bid to lure shoppers. QhZg{v[d  
k8w\d+!v  
A B C D F^u12R)  
x s{pGQ6Q  
45.The amendments of the laws on patent, trademark and copyright have enhanced protection of n qyD>>  
j,k3]bP  
A B qiNVaV\wr|  
L.HeBeO  
intellectual property rights and made them conform to WTO rules. ;,&cWz  
vgwpuRL5b  
C D e}UQN:1  
.Kb3VNgwvm  
PART3 CLOZE TEST (15minutes, 15 points) `L'g<VK;  
yix[zfQt0  
Directions: There are 15 questions in this part of the test. Read the passage through. Then, go back and choose one suitable word or phrase marked A, B, C, or D for each blank in the passage. Mark the corresponding letter of the word or phrase you have chosen with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. <CyU9`ye  
n= .P46|  
At least since the Industrial Revolution, gender roles have been in a state of transition. As a result, cultural scripts about marriage have undergone change, One of the more obvious ___46____ has occurred in the roles that women 47 . Women have moved into the world of work and have become adept at meeting expectations in that arena, 48 maintaining their family roles of nurturing and creating a(n) 49 that is a haven for all family members. 50 many women experience strain from trying to “do it all, ” they often endoy the increased 51 that can result from playing multiple roles. As women’s roles have changed, changing expectations about men’s roles have become more 52 . Many men are relinquishing their major responsibility 53 the family provider. Probably the most significant change in men’s roles, however, is in the emotional 54 of family life. Men are increasingly 55 to meet the emotional needs of their families, 56 their wives. IO\4dU)  
!zA@{gvEc  
In fact, expectations about he emotional domain of marriage have become more significant for marriage in general. Research on 57 marriage has changed over recent decades points to the increasing importance of the emotional side of the relationship, and the importance of sharing in the “ emotion work” 58 to nourish marriages and other family relationships. Men and women want to experience marriages that are interdependent, 59 both partners nurture each other, attend and respond to each other, and encourage and promote each other. We are thus seeing marriages in which men’s and women’s roles are becoming increasingly more 60 . R BYhU55B  
}Pcm'o_wT  
46. A. incidents B. changes C. results D. effects 9bM\ (s/  
5C Dk5B_  
47. A. take B. do C. play D. show 'R 7 \  
Cr.YSW g)4  
48. A. by B. while C. hence D. thus KF. {r  
"_{NdV|a  
49. A. home B. garden C. arena D. paradise n4K!Wv&u  
l(t&<O(m9  
50. A. When B. Even though C. Since D. Nevertheless W XQ@kQD  
'75T2Ud  
51. A. rewards B. profits C. privileges D. incomes `'YX>u/  
a1Fx|#! mq  
52. A. general B. acceptable C. popular D. apparent Lljn\5!r<  
 Gl~l  
53. A. as B. of C. from D. for ={BD*= i  
um2a#6uo  
54. A. section B. constituent C. domain D. point x?h/e;  
2\xw2VQ@P  
55. A. encouraged B. expected C. advised D. predicted *8}b&4O~  
Q0U~s\<  
56. A. not to mention B. as well as C. including D. especially B8@mL-Z-;  
&.)=>2  
57. A. how B. what C. why D. if ;ArwEzo(  
SQodk:1)  
58. A. but B. only C. enough D. necessary DH(<{ #u  
 TGCB=e  
59. A. unless B. although C. where D. because j}+3+ 8D  
`^M ]|7  
60. A. pleasant B. important C. similar D. manageable \]X.f&u  
7)Toj  
PART 4 READING COMPREHENSION (60minutes, 30 points) n:@!vV   
\""^'pP@  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. @v-^j  
PgBEe @.  
Passage1 8`4M4" lj  
C=?S  
The man who invented Coca-cola was not a native Atlantan, but on the day of his funeral every drugstore in town testimonially shut up shop. He was John Styth Pemberton, born in 1833 in Knoxville, Georgia, eighty miles away. Sometimes known as Doctor, Pemberton was a pharmacist who, during the Civil War, led a cavalry troop under General Joe Wheelrer. He settled in Atlanta in 1869, and soon began brewing such patent medicines as Triplex Liver Pills and Globe of Flower Cough Syrup. In 1885, he registered a trademark for something called French Wine Coca-Ideal Nerve and Tonic Stimulant, a few months later he formed the Pemberton Chemical Company, and recruited the services of a bookkeeper named Frank M. Robinson, who not only had a good head for figures but, attached to it, so exceptional a nose that he could audit the composition of a batch of syrup merely by sniffling it. In 1886-a year in which, as contemporary Coca-Coca officials like to point our, Conan Doyle unveiled Sherlock Holmes and France unveiled the Statue of Liberty-Pemberton unveiled a syrup that he called Coca-Coca. It was a modification of his French Wine Coca. He had taken our the wine and added a pinch of caffeine, and, when the end product tasted awful, had thrown in some extract of cola nut and a few other oils, blending the mixture in a three-legged iron pot in his back yard and swishing it around with an oar. He distributed it to soda fountains in used beer bottles, and Robinson, with his glowing bookkeeper’s script, presently devised a label, on which “Coca-Cola” was written in the fashion that is still employed. Pemberton looked upon his mixture less as a refreshment than as a headache cure, especially for people whose headache could be traced to over-indulgence. (NJ{>@&  
)%(ZFn}  
On a morning late in 1886,one such victim of the night before dragged himself into an Atlanta drugstore and asked for a doolop of Cola-Cola. Druggists customarily stirred a teaspoonful of syrup into a glass of water, but in this instance the man on duty was too lazy to walk to the fresh-water tap, a couple of feet off. Instead, he mixed the syrup with some soda water, which was closer at hand. The suffering customer perked up almost at once, and word quickly spread that the best Coca-Cola was a fizzy one. oF%m   
i VSNara  
64. What dose the passage tell us about John Styth Pemberton? ]N>ZOV,>  
)V1XL   
A. He was highly respected by Atlantans ^~4]"J};M  
(Y1*Bs[l  
B. He ran a drug store that also sells wine. ni;_Un~  
DUOoTl p  
C. He had been a doctor until the Civil War. mGT('iTM4  
1/dL-"*0  
D. He made a lot of money with his pharmacy. P{Nvt/%  
g~U( w  
62. Which of the following was unique to Frank M. Robinson, working with the Pemberton’s Company? , ZsZzZ#  
j\}.GM'8  
A. Skills to make French wine Aztrq  
2BccE  
B. Talent for drawing pictures XYcZ;Z9:  
+M j 6.X  
C. An acute sense of smell. 0R?1|YnB  
@c~Z0+Ji  
D. Ability to work with numbers. tP'v;$)9F  
G(E1c"?  
63.Why was the year 1886 so special to Pemberton? Tm %5:/<8  
kowS| c#  
A. He took to doing a job like Sherlock Holmes’s +d, ~h_7!  
tU4#7b:Y  
B. He brought a quite profitable product into being. `>"#d ? ,  
PT>b%7Of  
C. He observed the founding ceremony of Statue of Liberty. f&-`+V}U  
1}VaBsEV  
D. He was awarded by Coca-Cola for his contribution 5/.W-Q\pl}  
`KQx#c>'  
64.One modification made of French Wine Coca formula was__________ 86#l$QaK{  
:WB uU  
A. used beer bottles were chosen as containers 7?dWAUF  
* + T(i  
B. the amount of caffeine in it was increased &}DfIP<  
.}__XWK5  
C. it was blended with oils instead of water 9p_?t'&>q  
Tm" H 9  
D. Cola nut extract was added to taste Jm_)}dj3o  
V%-hP~nyBx  
65. According to the passage, Coca-Cola was in the first place prepared especially for ________ Q [OwP  
0)&!$@HW  
A. the young as a soft drink M`Y^hDl6  
FC0fe_U(F  
B. a replacement of French Wine Coca g *$2qKm  
>axeUd+@i  
C. the relief of a hangover cSt)Na~C  
<+QdBp'd;  
D. a cure for the common headache xvl$,\iqE  
Lu#qo^  
66. The last paragraph mainly tells___________ t}+/GSwT  
:^7w  
A. the complaint against the lazy shop-assistant JxIJxhA>  
0? {ADQz  
B. a real test of Coca-cola as a headache cure Ph3;;,v '  
Dg&6@c|  
C. the mediocre service of the drugstore MblRdj6  
x2!R&q8U>  
D. a happy accident that gave birth to Coca-Cola hYoUZ'4  
FGDVBUY@  
Passage 2 ;UQza ]i  
D4VDWv  
Between 1833 and 1837, the publishers of a “penny press” proved that a low-priced paper, edited to interest ordinary people, could win what amounted to a mass circulation for the times and thereby attract an advertising volume that would make it independent. These were papers for the common citizen and were not tied to the interests of the business community, like the mercantile press, or dependent for financial support upon political party allegiance. It did not necessarily follow that all the penny papers would be superior in their handing of the news and opinion functions. But the door was open for some to make important journalistic advances. aHN"I  
]}3s/NJi  
The first offerings of a penny paper tended to be highly sensational; human interest stories overshadowed important news, and crime and sex stories were written in full detail. But as the penny paper attracted readers from various social and economic brackets, its sensationalism was modified. The ordinary reader came to want a better product, too. A popularized style of writing and presentation of news remained, but the penny paper became a respectable publication that offered significant information and editorial leadership. Once the first of the successful penny papers had shown the way, later ventures could enter the competition at the higher level of journalistic responsibility the pioneering papers had reached. -[=~!Qr:  
J?O0ixU  
This was the pattern of American newspapers in the years following the founding of the New York Sun in 1833. The sun, published by Benjamin Day, entered the lists against 11 other dailies. It was tiny in comparison; but it was bright and readable, and it preferred human interest features to important but dull political speech reports. It had a police reporter writing squibs of crime news in the style already proved successful by some other papers. And, most important, it sold for a penny, whereas its competitors sold for six cents. By 1837 the sun was printing 30,000 copies a day, which was more than the total of all 11 New York daily newspapers combined when the sun first appeared. In those same four years James Gordon Bennett brought out his New York Herald (1835), and a trio of New York printers who were imitating Day’s success founded the Philadelphia Public ledger (1836) and the Baltimore sun (1837).The four penny sheets all became famed newspapers. R XCn;nM4  
C]!2   
v#,queGi  
K1@ Pt}  
67. What does the first paragraph say about the “penny press?” S= 4o@3%$  
A. It was known for its in-depth news reporting wQSan&81Q  
;wwc;wQ'  
B. It had an involvement with some political parties. G80N8Lm  
>pF*unC;  
C. It depended on the business community for survival. ~nA k-toJ  
ed6@o4D/kf  
D. It aimed at pleasing the general public. =Dn <DV  
%#2 $B+  
68. In its early days, a penny paper often ___________-- RqA>"[L  
r qjq}L)  
A. paid much attention to political issues R /=rNUe  
CXq[VYM&X  
B. provided stories that hit the public taste f"s_dR  
~e}JqJ(97  
C. offered penetrating editorials on various issues A|ZT ;\  
WFF?VBT'^  
D. covered important news with inaccuracy )Q1>j 2 &  
|0[Buh[_:c  
69. As the readership was growing more diverse, the penny paper____________ AQ)gj$ m3  
=+iY<~8  
A. improved its content =mYf] PIX  
Lap?L/NS  
B. changed its writing style M/ 64`lcb  
X /c8XLe"  
C. developed a more sensational style ^5X?WA,Z99  
x17:~[c']  
D. became a tool for political parries ':n`0+Eh  
\HO)ss)"  
70. The underlined word “ventures” in Paragraph 2 can best be replaced by ___________ v6 5C j2ec  
$5XA S  
A. editors BdD]HXB|_  
YYT;a$GTo  
B. reporters p) SW(pS  
BeUyt  
C. newspapers  }#m9Q[  
-@XSDfy7S  
D. companies #aX#gh}1  
?;l@yx  
71. What is true about the Philadelphia Public Ledger and the Baltimore sun.? 2G8w&dtu  
qxI $F  
A. They turned out to be failures. obvE m[x!Z  
:u7BCV|yr  
B. They were later purchased by James Gordon Bennett. $z_yx `5  
^=x/:0  
C. They were also founded by Benjamin Day. f9#zV2ke]  
wXUR9H|0(  
D. They became well-known newspapers in the U.S. [3X\"x5@V  
at?I @By  
72. This passage is probably taken from a book on ___________ 48 -j  
OP\jO DX  
A. the work ethics of the American media 7I ~O| Mw  
suQTi'K1  
B. the techniques in news reporting -1 dD~S$  
$T K*w8@:  
C. the history of sensationalism in American media "" UyfC[  
-Y524   
D. the impact of mass media on American society 8Ay 7I  
F%V|Aa  
Passage 3 a8TtItN  
9&r]k8K  
Forget what Virginia Woolf said about what a writer needs—a room of one’s own. The writer she had in mind wasn’t at work on a novel in cyberspace, one with multiple hypertexts, animated graphics and downloads of trancey, chiming music. For that you also need graphic interfaces, RealPlayer and maybe even a computer laboratory at Brown University. That was where Mark Amerika—his legally adopted name; don’t ask him about his birth name—composed much of his novel Grammatron. But Grammatron isn’t just a story. It’s an online narrative (Grammatron.com) that uses the capabilities of cyberspace to tie the conventional story line into complicate knots. In the four year it took to produce—it was completed in 1997—each new advance in computer software became anther potential story device. “I became sort of dependent on the industry,” jokes Amerika, who is also the author of two novels printed on paper. “That’s unusual for a writer, because if you just write on paper the ‘technology’ is pretty stable.” K{d3)lVYCS  
_=0Ja S>M.  
Nothing about Grammatron is stable. At its center, if there is one, is Abe Golam, the inventor of Nanoscript, a quasi—mystical computer code that some unmystical corporations are itching to acquire. For much of the story, Abe wanders through Prague-23, a virtual “city” in cyberspace whare visitors indulge in fantasy encounters and virtual sex, which can get fairly graphic, The reader wanders too, because most of Grammatron’s 1,000-puls text screens contain several passages in hypertext. To reach the next screen, just double-click. But each of those hypertexts is a trapdoor that can plunge you down a different pathway of the story. Choose one and you drop into a corporate-strategy memo. Choose another and there’s a XXX-rated sexual rant. The story you read is in some sense the story you make. >\K=)/W2  
5:r  AWq  
Amerika teaches digital art at the University of Colorado, where his students develop works that straddle the lines between art, film and literature. “I tell them not to get caught up in mere plot,” he says. Some avant-garde writers—Julio Cortazar, Italo Calvino—have also experimented with novels that wander out of their author’s control. “But what makes the Net so exciting, “says Amerika, “is that you can add sound, randomly generated links, 3-D modeling, animaion.” That room of one’s own is turning into a fun house. o1#3A  
C]Fw*t   
73. The passage is mainly to tell __________________. +7%?p"gEY\  
_1?uAQ3,  
A. differences between conventional and modern novels HKbV@NW  
KGOhoiR9:C  
B. how Mark Amerika composed his novel Grammatron [NE!  
U~=?I)Ni  
C. common features of all modern electronic novels hbYstK;]Z  
hYyIC:PXR  
D. why Mark Amerika took on a new way of writing [G brKq(  
,JI]Eij^  
74. Why does the author ask the reader to forget what Virginia Woolf said about the necessities of a writer? 1$DcE>  
#CLjQJ  
A. Modern writers can share rooms to do the writing. 5 v.&|[\k  
3]1 ! g6  
B. It is not necessarily that a writer writes inside a room. |?jgjn&RQ  
}o]}R#|  
C. Modern writers will get nowhere without a word processor ;F1y!h67<  
+8ib928E  
D.It is no longer sufficient for the writing in cyberspace. kj2qX9 Ms  
waz5+l28  
75.As an on-line narrative, Grammatron is anything but stable because it ______________. Ag T)J  
? IeBo8  
A. provides potentials for the story development Z[[*:9rY|  
DCa[?|Y  
B. is one of the novels at n]vCvmt  
, l!>+@  
C. can be downloaded free of charge +D @B eQu  
5.-:)=  
D. boasts of the best among cyber stories h7ZH/g$)  
1d!s8um;  
76.By saying that he became sort of dependent on the industry, Mark Amerika meant that _________. ~c&sr5E  
O*+HK1q7  
A. he could not help but set his Grammatron and thers in Industrial Revolution 5G6 Pp7[  
LV9R ]  
B. conventional writers had been increasingly challenged by high technology IA}vN3  
6VQQI9  
C. much of his Grammatron had proved to be cybernetic dependent hc$m1lLn  
(eb65F@P  
D. he couldn’t care less about new advance in computer software CUTjRWQ  
MZ0cZv$v!~  
77. As the passage shows , Grammatron makes it possible for readers to _____________- 4T52vM  
q%bFR[p<*  
A. adapt the story for a video version V4u4{wU]  
6;~V@t  
B. “walk in” the story and interact with it vp&.  
i \Yd_  
C. develop the plots within the author’s control 5mVO9Q j  
M-;Mw Lx  
D. steal the show and become the main character u1kCvi#N  
_UP 9b@Z"  
78. Amerika told his students not to ____________ 1fJ~Wp @1  
[Ous|a[)o  
A.immerse themselves only in creating the plot Ymnh%wS  
3XUVUd~  
B. be captivated by the plot alone while reading ]ZR` 6|"VO  
B(FM~TVZ  
C. be lagged far behind in the plot development ;9#W#/B  
m' j 1  
D. let their plot get lost in the on-going story }/tf^@  
mo tW7|p.e  
Passage 4 G{|"WaKW  
,. ht ~AE  
In 1993, a mall security camera captured a shaky image of two 10-year-old boys leading a much smaller boy out of a Liberpool, England, shopping center. The boys lured James Bulger, 2, away from his mother, who was shopping , and led him on a long walk across town. The excursion ended at a railroas track. There, inexplicably, the older boys tortured the toddler, kicking him, smearing paint on his face and pummeling him to death with bricks before heaving him on the track to be dismembered by a train. The boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, then went of to watch cartoons. $B9?>a|{A  
9%R"(X)  
Today the boys are 18-year-ole men, and after spending eight years in juvenile facilities, they have been deemed fit for release--probably this spring. The dilemma now confronting the English justice system is how to reintegrate the notorious duo into a society that remains horrified by their crimes and skeptical about their rehabilitation. Last week Judge Elizabeth Butler-Sils decided the young men were in so much danger that they needed an unprecedented shield to protect them upon release. For ht e rest of their lives, Venable sands Thompson will have a right to anonymity. All English media outlets are banned from publishing any information about their whereabouts of the new identities the government will help them establish. Photos of the two or even details about their current looks are also prohibited. M d Eds|D  
~[ aV\r?  
In the U.S, which is harder on juvenile criminals than England, such a ruling seems inconceivable. “We’re clearly the most punitive in the industrialized world,” says Laurence Steinberg, a Temple University professor who studies juvenile justice. Over the past decade, the trend in the U.S. has been to allow publication of ever more information about underage offenders. U.S. courts also give more weight to press freedom than English courts ,ewhich, for example, ban all video cameras. B`nI] _  
>X[:(m'  
But even for Britain, the order is extraordinary. The victim’s family is enraged, as are the ever eager British tabloids. “What right have they got to be given special protection as adults?” asks Bulger’s mother Denise Fergus. Newspaper editorials have insisted that citizens have a right to know if Venables of Thompson move in next door. Says conserbative Member of Parliament Humfrey Malins;”It almost leaves you with the feeling that the nastier the crime, the greater the chance for a completely new life.” %WP[V{,F  
)_Hv9!U]e  
79. What occurred as told at the beginning of the passage? HdY#cVxy  
gs.+|4dv  
A. 2 ten-year-olds killed James by accident in play t\2-7Ohj6  
k ^KpQ&n  
B. James Bulger was killed by his two brothers. Mj2Dat`p9  
EKw)\T1  
C. Two mischievous boys forged a train accident. zLxuxf~4@  
BTO l`U  
D. A little kid was murdered by two older boys. +wHa)A0MW  
4v(?]]X  
80.According to the passage, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson________________ VD!PF'  
.'l3NV^{  
A. hav been treated as juvenile delinquents 1n*"C!q  
 *ni0.  
B. have been held in protective custody for their murder game ,s}7 KE  
39~WP$GM  
C. were caught while watching cartoons eight years ago Dl\0xcE  
)\W}&9 >  
D. have already served out their 10 years in prison LF (S"Of  
/L]@k`.q@  
81.The British justice system is afraid that the two young men would_______________ KAT"!b   
<h~uGBS "  
A. hardly get accustomed to a horrifying general public !af;5F  
wXYT(R  
B. be doomed to become social outcasts after release >*|Eyv_  
Pc+,iK>  
C. still remain dangerous and destructive if set free qM>Dt  
or)fx/%h  
D. be inclined to commit a recurring crime Y '}c$*OkI  
h7xgLe@  
82. According to the British courts, after their return to society, the two adults will be __________ h,/3 }  
ep l1xfr  
A. banned from any kind of press interview -O@/S9]S)  
Idj Z2)$  
B. kept under constant surveillance by police f8f|'v|  
S!iDPl~  
C. shielded from being identified an killers ? ]} =4  
G+3uY25y  
D. ordered to report to police their whereabouts n@oSLo`k,`  
u b@'(*  
83. From the passage we can infer that a US counterpart of Venables or Thompson would________. R^K:hKQ  
X`]>J5  
A. have no freedom to go wherever he wants wA87|YK8*  
M l_!)b  
B. serve a life imprisonment for the crime ?J"Y4,{  
1-G-p:|  
C. be forbidden to join many of his relatives grDz7\i:  
/DSy/p0%  
D. no doubt receive massive publicity in the U>S> Vl :M6d1  
MR* % lZpB  
84. As regards the mentioned justice ruling, the last paragraph mainly tells that ________________ (B].ppBii  
8PGuZw<  
A. it is controversial as it goes without precedent !Ome;g S)  
><)fK5x  
B. the British media are sure to do the contrary j2#B l  
49B6|!&I  
C. Bulger’s family would enter all appeal against it uF T5Z  
_b[Pk;8}j;  
D. Conservatives obviously conflict with Liberals &KeD{M%  
T(*A0  
Passage 5 /5:qS\Zl  
35SL*zS@-  
Can the Internet help patients jump the line at the doctor’s office? The silicon Valley Employers Forum, a sophisticated group of technology companies, is launching a pilot program to test online “virtual visits “ between doctors at three big local medical groups and about 6,000 employees and their families. The six employers taking part in the Silicon Valley initiative, including heavy hitters such as Oracle and Cisco Systems, hope that online visits will mean employees won’t have to skip work to tend to minor ailments of to follow up on chronic conditions. “With our long commutes and traffic, driving 40 miles to your doctor in your hometown can be a big chunk of time, “ says Cindy Conway, benefits director at Cadence Design Systems, one of the participating companies. X'cm0}2  
 p;vrPS  
Doctors aren’t clamoring to chat with patients online for free; they spend enough unpaid time ton the phone. Only 1 in 5 has ever E-mailed a patient, and just 9 percent are interested in doing so, according to the research firm Cyber Dialogue.”We are not stupid,” says Stirling Somers, executive of the Silicon Valley employers group. “Doctors getting jpaid is a critical piece in getting this to work.” In the pilot program, physicians will get $20 per online consultation, about what they get for a simple office visit. PW-sF  
fR lJ`\ t  
Doctors also fear they’ll be swamped by rambling E-mails that tell everything but what’s needed to make a diagnosis. So the new program will use technology supplied by Healinx, an Alameda, Calif.-based start-up. Healinx’s “Smart Symptom Wizard” questions patients and turns answers into a succinct message. The company has online dialogues for 60 common conditions. The doctor can then diagnose the problem and outline a treatment plan, which could include E-mailing a prescription or a face-to-face visit. /oU$TaB >(  
JjQTD-^  
Can E-mail replace the doctor’s office? Many conditions, such as persistent cough, require a stethoscope to discover what’s wrong—and to avoid a malpractice suit. Even Larry Bonham, head of one of the doctor’s groups in the pilot, believes the virtual doctor’s visits offer a “very narrow” sliver of service between hone calls to an advice nurse an a visit to the clinic. h56s~(?O  
~#JX 0J=  
The pilot program, set to end in nine months, also hopes to determine whether online visits will boost worker productivity enough to offset the cost of the service. So far, the Internet’s record in the health field has been underwhelming. The experiment is “a huge roll of the dice for Healinx,” notes Michael Barrett, an analyst at Internet consulting firm Forester Research. If the “Web visits” succeed, expect some HMOs(Health Maintenance Organizations) to pay for online visits. If doctors, employers, and patients aren’t satisfied, figure on one more E-health start-up to stand down. &. "ltB  
3WY:Fn+#  
85. the Silicon Valley employers promote the E-health program for the purpose of ___________ FHZQyO<|  
vg[zRWh8  
A. rewarding their employees j(Tk6S  
+D#.u^  
B. gratifying the local hospitals ;0E[ ; L!  
g);.".@"  
C. boosting worker productivity <D(|}5qR  
ltmD=-]G_  
D. testing a sophisticated technology ]+AgXUrbOD  
M cbiO)@I  
86. What can be learned about the on-line doctors’ visits? {=kW?  
J y0TVjA  
A. They are a quite promising business. {Gr"oO`&"  
)yv~wi  
B. They are funded by the local government. coc :$Sr%  
Kr;F4G|Qt  
C. They are welcomed by all the patients )mRKIM}*W  
W:=CpbwENX  
D. They are very much under experimentation. ;F>I+l_X  
0:k MnHn\  
87.Of he following people, who are not involved in the program? ))#_@CwRr  
'3ZYoA%  
A. Cisco System employees H6-{(: *<  
'd|E>8fejG  
B. advice nurses in the clinic #Xd#Nc j  
Ix|^c268o<  
C. doctors at three local hospitals Qx !! Ttd{  
I K Dh)Zm  
D. Oracle executives . aqP=  
u:O6MO9^  
88. According to Paragraph 2, doctors are___________ .(8eWc YK  
+\`t@Ht#  
A. reluctant to serve online for nothing t%>x}b"2T  
[=I==?2`X  
B. not interested in Web consultation ]%/a '[  
nXF|AeAco  
C. too tired to talk to the patients online b'~IFNt*^  
9k>=y n  
D. content with $20 paid per Web visit -)ag9{*  
7Ke#sW.HN  
89. “Smart Symptom Wizard” is capable of ___________ V{G9E  
Pxm~2PAm  
A. making diagnoses ;P4tqY@  
Z ]WA-Q6n  
B. producing prescriptions E$8 4c+  
7Y(ySW  
C. profiling patients’ illness ew cgg  
';bovh@*  
D. offering a treatment plan ,0Y5O?pu\  
m}3POl/*j  
90.It can be inferred from the passage that the future of online visits will mostly depend on whether___________ .8%mi'0ud  
}X`jhsqT  
A. the employers would remain confident in them z ~BrKdS  
+t XOP|X  
B. they could effectively replace office visits C=/nZGG  
|O]oX[~  
C. HMOs would cover the cost of the service *AU"FI> V  
&`'gO 9  
D. new technologies would be available to improve the E-health project mJ|7Jc  
=Gq 'sy:h  
PAPER TWO _8'FI_E3  
vK\;CSk  
PARTV TRANSLATION (25minutes, 10 points) K>`7f]?H*e  
nJ4CXSdE  
Directions:Put the following passage into English. .Write your English version in the proper space on your Answer SheetⅡ ;U|^Tsuc`  
z AxwM-`  
伟大艺术的美学鉴赏和伟大科学观念的理解都需要智慧。但是, 随后的感受升华和情感又是分不开的。没有情感的因素,我们的智慧很难开创新的道路; 没有智慧,情感也无法达到完美的成果。艺术和科学事实上是一个硬币的两面。它们源于人类活动的最高尚的部分,都追求着深刻性、普遍性、永恒性和富有意义、 ZK[S'(6q  
E5M*Gs  
PART VI WAITING(35minutes,15 points) 6 tbH(  
kE".v|@  
Directions: Write an essay of at least 150 words on the topic given below. Use the proper space on your Answer SheetⅡ gi7As$+E  
M,Px.@tw.  
TOPIC e.0vh?{\  
jBEt!Azur  
With her entry into the WTO, China is being plunged into an international competition for talents, and in particular, for higher-level talents. To face this new challenge, China must do something, among other things, to reform her graduate (postgraduate) education system. State your opinion about this reform, and give the solid supporting details to your viewpoint.
显示用户信息 
5楼  发表于: 2007-11-19   
中科院2003年博士英语入学试题 hSD)|  
huazi 发表于 2007-4-18 18:57:00 z1LATy  
THE CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES ENGLISH ENTRANCE EXAMINATION odquAqn  
COj50t/  
FOR &K`[SX=  
Vd|5JA}<"  
DOCTORAL CANDIDATES PAPER ONE >U9!KB  
/PIU@$DV  
PART I LISTENING COMPREHENSION (20 minutes, 20 points) Section A (10 points, 1 point each) :f^O!^N  
yaA9* k  
Directions: In this section, you will hear ten short conversations between two speakers. At the end of each conversation, a question will be as feed about what was said. The question will be spoken only once. Choose the best answer from the four choices given by marking the corresponding letter with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. wLU w'Ai  
bs]ret$?(q  
1. A, She is sick. T{|'<KT  
qEf )TW(  
B. She is hungry. f b_tda",}  
4%p5X8|\ih  
C. She was bitten by an ant. iAT&C`,(&  
#joU}Rj|  
D. She had a long bicycle ride. $&k2m^R<  
XT= #+  
2. A. He's outgoing. rg_-gZl8&z  
B. He's considerate. _ZD)#?  
C- He's successful. c.,:r X0S  
D. He's nice to all, JO7IzD\  
YT, 1E>rd  
3. A. 30 minutes v>)[NAY9  
',6QL4qV/  
B. 25 minutes 2v`VtV|B  
KzeA+PI  
C. 20 minutes 0'BR Sa<  
ui G7  
D. 15 minutes yKOf]m>#  
`W?aq]4x5  
4. A. take the air >|@ /GpD  
IDE@{Dy  
B. park the car ?*, N ?s(U  
 vxr3|2`  
C. fill in the form l%fnGe` _  
0NpxqeIDY  
D. work on a text S][: b  
A+Y>1-=JO  
yn!LJT[~2  
%>xW_5;Z  
8dIgw  
wOHK dQ'  
Gu*;z% b2  
nsw.\(#  
5. A. apply for a credit card JZu7Fb]L9  
09|d<  
B. get a driver's license .__X[Mzth3  
1ZhJ?PI,9{  
C. buy an insurance ;13lu1  
7ou2SL}k  
D. rent a vehicle ?PyI#G   
vWe)c J  
6. A, Crime needs to be treated as a disease. \e'>$8%T  
f} } Bb8  
B. Primitive punishment will do no good. v[m/>l2[P  
n8zUL1:R  
C. Severe punishment is necessary to stop crime. ,W{Qv<oo  
vuDp_p*]S  
D. Primitive people had trouble with crime treatment. IO^O9IEx,  
b LL!iz?  
7. A, the sale of the old houses v8 6ls[lzu  
[u)^Q gP  
B. the pulling down of the gas company 1__p1  
En5I  
C. the proposal of the council g[H7.  
]7 dm`XV  
D. the building of the office blocks m&2< ?a}l  
!WVF{L,/I  
8. A. He will not be able to many Cindy. apGf @b  
Q CfA3*  
B. He has financial problems. ##k== 'dR  
r<&d1fM;X  
C. He has yet to buy furniture. ;z Sh9H  
H1hj` '\"<  
D. He may not be recovered until the wedding.  U]e;=T:3  
*<Qn)Az  
9. A. Both are having a cold. LAMTf"a  
Fm [,u  
B. Both are on holidays. *(o~pxFTR  
_5.7HEw>/  
C. The woman feels sorry for the man. $stJ+uh  
mI"|^!L  
D. The woman hopes to see the man in the school. ~Qzm!Po,  
)W*S6}A  
10. A. He felt sympathy for the Vietnamese. !\?? [1_e  
q ,}W.  
B. He used to come to the U.S. unlawfully. WnUYZ_+e!  
c(YNv4*X  
C. He aided illegal immigration to the U.S. =$b^ X?x  
&:'Uh W-t  
D. He dealt with 7,000 immigration cases. oEKLuy  
&*MwKr<y  
Section B (10 points, 1 point each) #p=/P{*  
lm]4zs /A  
Directions: In ihis section, you will hear three short passages. At the end of each passage, there will be a few questions. Both the passage and the questions will be read to you only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must choose the best answer from the four choices given by marking the corresponding letter with a single bar across the _E&*JX  
;u DH&3W  
#,!.e  
[",W TZ:  
~{U~9v^v (  
PN0:,.4  
square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. lh8`.sWk4V  
Os?~U/  
11. A. to make children grow tall and strong "{L%5:H@  
yy/wSk  
B. to keep the soul in the body s?E7tmaM  
&W`yHQ"JY  
C. to prevent someone from saying evil things GaM#a[p  
;f0+'W  
D. to protect someone against catching a cold >8>`-  
.T4"+FTzP  
12. A. They think a good spirit may help the child grow, BE}lzn=sF  
duT2:~H2  
B. They want to drive away the devil "sneeze." 0=L: 8&m  
IqcPml{\  
C. They say it as a curse for the child to stop sneezing. :m^eNS6:  
GwW!Q|tVz=  
D. They consider a sneeze an obstacle to the child's growth. &7|=8Z[o  
1&Nk  
13. A. the German _@jl9<t=_  
B. the Italian ,MuLu,$/  
$*L@y m  
C. the Japanese B.0(}@  
KzI$GU3  
D. the Hindus U#d&#",s  
~U ?cL-`n  
14. A. All peoples are afraid of sneezing. &tHT6,Xv(  
VO#]IXaP  
B. Some people never sneeze in their lives. GkaIqBS  
SYeCz(H>d  
C. The moment of sneezing is very dangerous. (9fqUbG  
2E ycFjO  
D. Many people say prayers when they sneeze. mS&[<[x  
.nKyB'uV  
15. A. a lack of available flights =>4>Z_q  
l3b$b%0'  
B. long delays at the airport KX[_eO L  
-O^b  
C. boredom on long flights EX=+TOkAf  
=JX.* MEB  
D. long trips to and from the airport 9%> H}7=  
o5i?|HJ  
16. A. on short trips E6y/,s^~S_  
Y}(v[QGV  
B. on long trips 4US8B=jk  
3)EslBA7i  
C. when flying over cities = 14'R4:  
it D%sKo  
D. when flying at high altitudes %4imlP  
ZgZ}^x  
17. A. It fuels with nuclear energy. Tf21K9+`L  
\aU^c24>  
B. It rests on a cushion of pressurized air. Y%anR|  
hc`9Y  
C. It flies above magnetically activated tracks. WK:~2m&y  
Rr|VGtg  
D. It uses a device similar to a jet engine- `IFt;Ja\6  
:BC 0f9  
QKE$>G  
S TVJu![  
18. A. She is poor in school grade. B.'@~$  
.hSacd  
B, Her major is thought to be useless. 1LJ ?Ka[_*  
[WRs1$5  
C, Her job expectation is too high. *;,=x<  
@zT.&1;`  
D, There is now an economic recession. yodJGGAzk  
;=5V)1~i1;  
19. A, undergraduates B5  C]4  
#fk)Y1  
B. experienced M.B.A.s 0{BPT>'  
v"F.<Q  
C. laid-off workers one^XYy1%  
B(:Kw;r?  
D. liberal-arts majors !_?<-f(  
7B"J x^  
20. A. Unemployment rate will get still higher. KQJn\#>  
rPaD#GA[7  
B. There will be no multiple job offers. [{}9"zB$x0  
oeDsJ6;  
C. 2 million job seekers will compete for jobs. L`R,4mI.W  
b v\V>s  
D. First-time job requirements will be lowered. n{r+t=X  
V~Tjz%<  
(THIS IS THE END OF LISTENING COMPREHENSION.) dsR{ P,!  
`RthX\Tof  
PART II VOCABULARY (15 minutes, 10 points) F}H!vh[  
IywovN Tr  
Section A (0.5 point each) "*RCV6{  
]1)@.b;QR  
Directions: Choose the word or expression below each sentence shot best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scaring Answer Sheet, >:W)9o  
@tEVgyN  
21. His trick convinced none but the most ;FMK>%Zq  
pr;<n\Y{  
A. credulous B. plausible xXA$16kd  
u\t[rC=yd  
C. trustworthy D. feasible 4=o3 ZRV  
{)4Vv`n  
22. Many people proposed that a national committee be formed to discuss to L9Fx Lw41  
@h>#cwhU  
existing mass transit systems. oxO}m7 ULH  
6Wc eDY  
A. substitutes B. measures 4fzq C)  
2-j|q6m5  
C, duplicates D. alternatives M?[lpH3  
3C_g)5 _:  
23. He is a hypocrite, a liar, a thief— , he is the greatest devil I ever know. }^`{YD  
pxI*vgfN7  
A. as a consequence B. as a rule JGj_{|=:  
YLSG 5vF+  
C, as a matter of fact D. as a matter of routine Ql&P1|&  
7Mo O2  
{H])Fob  
*k+QX   
+ %U@  
JiI(?I  
Q=^}B}G  
l' "<  
24. Since she was alone, she opened the door . leaving the chain lock f{3FoN= z  
D"^ogY#LK  
fastened. /23v]HEPy  
SCGQo.~,  
A. warily B. consciously (/@o7&>*50  
V 8n }"  
C. audaciously D. recklessly !^8'LMY<I  
KpwUp5K  
25. In the last few minutes the conversation has become seemingly as if Llk`  
xFpJ#S&  
the discussion were of some minor domestic matter and not survival itself, c#Y9L+O  
Pyyx/u+?@  
A. crucial B. central $7BD~U   
)3G?5 OTS  
C. casual D. causal Qz$.t>@V=  
uk\G Am@O  
26. I didn't listen to Mom and 1 was not surprised at the look of on C y& L,  
.S5&MNE  
her face. v WhtClJ3  
5@v!wms  
A. indifference B. compliment aX~iY ~?_  
lcUL7  
C, negligence D. reproach #vDe/o+=  
CX1'B0=\r  
27. The victims of drunken driving in America over the past decade_____ an |20p#]0E+  
5 |>jz `  
incredible 250,000, with three killed every hour of every day on average. 5TnECk  
A. Sake up B. add up to 9JU lu  
6'Lij&,f?{  
C, count for D. turn out to T %cN(0 @  
|5FyfDaFBX  
28. He is believed to have been shot by a rival gang in for the shootings GQ[\R&]q<  
;ga~ae=Fg  
last week. C"F(kgL  
#cmj?y()  
A. revenge B, reserve ( E0be.  
zb9$  
C. reverse D. remedial y t<K!=7&  
Qb SX'mx<  
29. These pollutants can be hundreds and even thousands of kilometers by "0]i4d1l  
W{0<ro`  
large air masses. p oNQ<ijK  
PVU(R J  
A. contained B. conveyed D&]SPhX  
9cj:'KG)!  
C. contaminated D. conserved p~M^' k=d  
hsVWD,w  
30. There are a few small things that I don't like about my job, but _ it's O-mP{  
ft $/-;  
very enjoyable. O@EpRg 1  
NB>fr#pb  
A. all at once B. once and for all +=:CW'B5  
9?]4s-~  
C. so much as D. by and large L.erP* w  
[S*bN!t  
PiM@iS  
xy[R9_V  
31. In a divorce, the mother usually is granted___________ of her children. P~=|R9 t  
-x7b6o>$  
A. support B. retention &{"aD&  
MT|}[|_  
C. perseverance D. custody uE+]]ir  
{aAA4.j^  
32. What he had in mind to nothing less than a total reversal of the traditional role of the executive. ~u-mEdu3C  
Uln[UK  
A. contributed B. dedicated llI` "a  
.3!=]=  
C. amounted D. added rsA K0R+  
C:zK{+  
33. Some Heads of Government now fear that negotiations will before [,$] %|6wt  
MyAi)Mz~o  
a settlement is reached. tec CU[O  
b`fPP{mG  
A. wear out B. come along ^q7 fN0"6  
yw$er?  
C. break off D. end up &+d>xy\^/  
;ukwKf s  
34. A of soap and two brightly colored towels were left beside the bath, then the women smiled politely at Nicole and withdrew carefully from the room. GnkNoaU  
&8z`]mB{t  
A. loaf B, bar 4tof[n3us  
q:+,'&<D  
C. stick D, block &}Cm9V  
(%YFcE)SRS  
35. Of the 1200 million people who call themselves Chinese, a very small -]\UFR  
;1A4p`)  
number speak what is referred to as standard Chinese. ehV`@ss  
y08.R. l  
A. none but B. but for 4(f[Z9 iZ]  
Zchs/C 9{  
C. all but D. but then &2d^=fih  
bb `GV  
36.___________ recent brain and behavioral research. Dr. Goleman wrote a fascinating book entitled "Emotional Intelligence." 'C)`j{CS  
A. Drawing up B. Drawing on )xy1 DA  
uK2MC?LP  
C. Putting up D. Putting on ]<V[H  
yO; r]`j0  
37. Many people think of deserts as regions, but numerous species of PV<=wc^  
RtwlPz<~S  
plants and animals have adapted to life there, p 'M5]G  
A. remote B. irgin m-dyvW+  
) wtVFG  
C. alien D. barren ;Kob] b  
e C?adCb  
tpwMy:<Ex  
-,C">T%\  
38. Attempts to persuade her stay after she felt insulted were __, L0H;y6&  
4 |9M8ocR  
A, of no avail B. out of focus .$pW?C 3e  
|2z?8lx  
C. at a loss D, in no way {EE/3e@  
(LbAP9Zj#f  
39. Scientists are certain that there is a cancer-inhibiting agent in the AIgJ,=9K  
T[]2]K[&B  
blood of the shark. h U\)CM  
1RpTI7  
A. dubiously B. virtually A{3Aw|;  
G5a PjP  
C. queerly D. randomly |:BKexjHL  
&'4{/Gz  
40. The integration of staff for training has led to a good exchange of ideas, greater enthusiasm, and higher staff .________ , $N4 %I4  
2[6>h)  
A. moral B, mortal 3NAU|//J  
G|MjKe4}  
C. morale D. mores ?@8[1$1a  
U+:oy:mz  
PART III CLOZE TEST (IS minutes, 15 points) ^wNx5t  
BNns#Q8a  
Directions: There are 15 questions in this part of the test. Read the passage through-Then, go back and choose one suitable word or phrase marked A, B, C, or D for each blank in the passage. Mark the corresponding tetter of the word or phrase you have chosen with a single bar across she square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. acr@erk  
Jf6u E?.  
It is appropriate on an anniversary of the founding of a university to remind ourselves of its purposes. It is equally appropriate at such time for students to 4j why they have been chosen to attend and to consider how they can best 42.__ the privilege of attending. 9 f$S4O5  
oE@{h$=  
At the least you 95 students can hope to become 43 in subject matter which may be useful to you in later life. There is, 44 , much more to be gained. It is now that you must learn to exercise your mind sufficiently __45_ learning becomes a joy and you thereby become a student for life. 46 this may require an effort of will and a period of self-discipline. Certainly it is not 47 without hard work. Teachers can guide and encourage you, but learning is not done passively. To learn is your48. AE0d0Y~9  
WvSh i=  
There is 49 the trained mind satisfaction to be derived from exploring the ideas of others, mastering them and evaluating them. But there is 50 level of inquiry which I hope that some of you will choose. If your study takes you to the 51 of understanding of a subject and, you have reached so far, you find that you can penetrate to 52 no one has been before, you experience an exhilaration which can't be denied and which commits you to a life of research. ."b=dkx  
%{qJkjG  
Commit mem to a life of scholarship or research is 53 many other laudable goals. It is edifying, and it is a source of inner satisfaction even 54 other facets of life prove disappointing. I strongly 55 it, hpp>+=  
b[p<kMTir  
DwM4 /m  
U U!M/QJ  
41.A. count FD>j\  
u=^0n2ez  
42. A, benefit from +W| MAJtg  
18JhC*in  
43. A. efficient ;4 . D%  
09?n5x!6  
44. A. however Ij; =  
bDd$79@m  
45. A. if Q)N$h07R  
8\c= Un  
46. A. Of late XP'Mv_!Z  
&We1i &w  
47. A. acquired N{Og; roGD  
+o&E)S}wP  
48. A. ambition W}B 4^l  
H -('!^  
49. A. to Fs_,RXW"  
50.A. any EN@LB2  
51.A. ends E:BEQ:(~L  
4f,D3e%T|  
52. A. elsewhere oiAU}iK:  
_@D}2  
53. A. compatible with Bu?"b=B*  
Gjuc"JR7  
54. A. shall i gzISYC_  
qg#WDx /  
55. A. declare WH :+HNl1d  
X70vDoW  
=0xuH>WY}w  
6$wS7Cu  
B. reflect t B.ake over B.excellent t B.herefore B.because B.Consequently B.accomplished B.conscience B.on n`f},.NM|  
z.23i^Q  
B. one 8 g'9( )&  
:0ND0A{K:  
B.limits js Tb0  
:7Mo0,Bw,  
B.what >>krH'79  
l1`Zp9I  
B. responsible for <Xw 6m$fr:  
^ 8)&~q*  
B. will D+rDgr v  
#Q6wv/"Ub  
B. recommend S}e*~^1J  
/6F 1=O(c>  
If6wkY6sR  
9In&vF7$  
C. depend C.apply for C.professional C.indeed ` 2|~Z H  
=pWpHbB.  
C. so that C.Afterwards C.approached C.responsibility C. in &{&lCBN  
&.kg8|s{  
C. another C, borders 8!>uC&bE8  
m|~,#d@  
C. whichever %H<w.]>  
eJ{"\c(  
C. followed by BO[Q"g$Kon  
#CV(F$\1{  
C. would e_]1e 7t  
C, advise i[3$Wi$  
* V W \  
HT?`PG  
e/;Ui  
D. comment D. go hrough D. proficient D. after all D.before yF0,}  
c'`7p /l.  
D. At first D.assured n4."}DO  
idO3/>R [  
D.challenge D. by ?2EzNNcS  
U\VwJ2 {i  
D. no gK)B3dH*&  
5 @ [%P=  
D. edges }f&7<E  
3%EwA\V(  
D. relevant to w5|@vB/pj  
^"buF\3L  
D.where '[-H].-!   
:L`z~/6  
D. should LiV]!*9$KG  
u]dpA  
D. contend Ds}6{']K  
|=%$7b\C  
J.?p?-"  
}f-rWe{gs>  
PART IV READING COMPREHENSION (60 minutes, 30 points) Directions: Be low each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices market! A, B, C. end D. Read each passage carefully, and then select (he choice that bear answers the question or completes (he statement Mark (fie teller of your choice with a single bar across (he square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet.  W2^eE9  
nAts.pVy"  
Passage I 9h0|^ttF  
nQ~q -=,L  
Small, pink and very ugly. Hardly the qualities of a star, but they describe the deformed mouse that was the media darling at a recent science exhibition in Beijing. With a complex tissue structure in the shape of a human ear grafted on to its back, the rosy rodent was a stunning symbol of the serious strides China is making in the field of ,MvvW{EY  
1}ToR=  
;N1FP*  
y4?>5{`W  
?5GjH~  
M]_vb,=1  
biotechnology. [FCNW0NV  
SfR!q4b=  
China is fast applying the latest life-science techniques learned from the West to aggressively pursue genome research. It's establishing its own centers of technical excellence to build a scientific base to compete directly with the United States and Europe. With a plentiful supply of smart young scientists at home and lots of interest abroad biotechnology is on the brick of a boom in China. And in the view of foreign scientists, Beijing is playing a clever hand, maximizing the opportunities open to them. }oU&J81  
(6A{6_p  
For the moment, the cooperation exists mostly with Europe and the U.S. But Asia's other biotech leaders, Japan, Singapore and Korea, also are recognizing China's potential as an attractive low-cost base to conduct research. These partnerships—and China's advancement in the field of biotechnology—could help benefit the rest of Asia: China's rapid progress in improving crop yields will address food-security concerns in the region, In addition, China is more likely to focus on developing cheap technology that its predominantly poor population—and those of other Asian countries—-can afford. |ITg-t  
jyT(LDsS  
There remain, however, serious barriers to the development qf a strong biotech industry. Among them are a poor domestic legal framework, weak enforcement of intellectual-property rights and loose adherence to international standards, China is a signatory of the International Bio Safety Protocol, which should mean adherence to global standards governing the conduct of field trials. But some observers are skeptical. 'The regulations look good, but I haven't met one scientist who believes they are being fully adhered to," says a European science analyst. ePY K^D  
Q@j:b]Y9  
If shortcuts are taken, then some of the recent scientific achievements trumpeted in the official press may never make it to market. But no matter how strict lab tests are. other problems lie in waii. For example, there is a number of tasks it would take years :o fulfill in the patents office, says one lawyer, leaving innovators with little protection if they take a product to market in China.  OB^  
x p$0J<2  
56, The mouse on display is most significant in that _ _. 3&*%>)  
n&Tv]-  
A. it has an ear in the shape of a human ear :Oj+Tc9A  
oy'+n-  
B. it is unusually small and ugly as a star }v!6BU6<Q  
8]L.E  
C. it is the focus of the media at the exhibition Eg:p_F*lr  
3k(?`4JJ  
D. it indicates China's progress in biotechnology 9c6V&b  
pJ (l=a  
FSB$D)4z>b  
3$b(iI< "  
57. The phrase "on the brink of a boom" (in boldface in Paragraph 2) in the context D0P% .r"v  
means . q8lK6p\:W  
5 6R,+sN  
A. having an edge in competition S ] &->5"  
SrtmpQ  
B. in great demand g=(+oK?  
nX S%>1o,  
C. on the way to success +NY4j-O  
)X/Faj e  
D. preparing for challenge ^m=%Ctu#  
]4yvTP3[Rm  
58. In the field of biotechnology China is thought to . MocH>^,  
l1[IXw?  
A. have been making an utmost effort learning from the West H-W) Tq_?-  
6T s`5$e  
B. have become a country among the advanced {Jc!T:vJ  
d/&|%Z r  
C. have been able to rival the United Sates and Europe fz3*oJ'  
g@ k9w{ _  
D. have launched a biotechnological revolution jh G7sS|  
m =}X$QF`^  
59. Japan, Singapore, and Korea will also be interested in cooperating with China in biotechnology because________ . 3c3Z"JV  
 Yn>zR I  
A. it has made extraordinary contributions to the world =@ZtUjcJx  
W6T&hB  
B. it has large supplies of talents and advanced research centers 6~ `bAe`}  
e63|Z[8  
C. its research focuses on the benefits of all Asian countries D3xaR   
!@ {[I:5  
D. its cooperation with the US and Europe proves profitable 17)M.(qmuP  
,d> ~='  
60. Science analysts are worried that China, in the course of biotech development, AFTed?(  
_kN%6~+U  
A. might refuse to join efforts to adhere to global standards )`mF.87b&h  
; ZV^e  
B. may put too much emphasis on developing cheap technology `YNC_r#tG  
"NH+qQ hs  
C. cannot afford to fulfill years of tasks in assessing patents B:4qW[U#  
tq[",&K  
D. may not seriously follow the International Bio Safety Protocol \C#b@xLnX  
y=xe<#L  
61. As implied in the context, the shortcuts that might be taken include___________ . 0DIM]PS  
ws>Iyw.u  
A. publicizing recent achievements in the official press n "KJB  
Uv`v|S:+2  
B. the protection of innovators with their products 9~'Ip7X,!  
X]MM7hMuR  
C. the violation of intellectual-property rights irb.F>(x  
:YXQ9/iRr  
D. making lab tests as strict as possible 2G5!u)  
X/,1]  
Passage 2 yn ":!4U1  
LY!3u0PnlT  
The sizzling streams of sunlight were just beautifully glimmering down on the crisp green schoolyard. Such a wonderful day that was. Nothing could have ruined it. T.P Z}4  
mRnzP[7-\)  
Qn)[1v   
\BcJDdL  
Little Jimmy, since it was such a wonderful day, decided to go to the corner store and buy himself a little treat. As Jimmy started walking over to the store, Clouds flocked over the dazzling sun and the sudden pitch dark meant no trouble, On the other side of the road were three white boys from Jimmy's same school. Upon recognizing Jimmy, the boys ran over the street to where he was. RyQ\5^z  
Y1_6\zpA  
"Hey Negro, what's up?" one of the white boys said, \]#;!6ge  
pF*~)e  
"Did your mamma pack you enough to eat today? "another hooted. "Just leave me alone," Little Jimmy said. K^& ]xFW  
ID).*@(I"  
" Oh no, Jimmy's really getting pist off!?" the first boy retaliated. "Just shove off and let me be," Jimmy answered. ]#-/i2-K  
5A]LNA4i  
It is like this everyday, everywhere, and every time, people suffer discrimination. All because they have differences amongst each other. Different beliefs, different cultures, different skin colors, all of these act like building blocks to help construct what we know as Racism. ,iv%^C",)  
(=tF2YBV  
Racism has become one of the many burdens amongst multi-cultural worlds like Canada and the States. Racism is a part of each and every one of us. No doubt, we are all racist, but the term racism has been used too loosely. Racism has been mutated to such an extent that ii could be a reason for war, a symbol of terrorism, and even an excuse for neglecting. tTh;.88Z{  
$s(4?^GP  
Is that all there is to it? No, actually it is just the beginning. Racism is just like warfare in which there is no shelter and nobody is neutral. ny_ kr`$42  
`_g?y)  
Nobody is exempt from this demon. He has haunted us with a bitter curse. On one occasion I remember, nobody would play with me at school. 1 would walk around by myself and ask people if we could play together. Everywhere that 1 went, like the process of induction, everyone would avoid me. Like two inducted poles with the some polarity, they would just shimmer off into the distance and continue to do whatever they're doing. Because of racial differences, they neglect me. # /,2MQ  
ic{.#R.BY  
People are afraid of the unknown, and it is this difference amongst people that spread rumors and distrust amongst people. Corrupting our thoughts and reasons, we get accustomed to thinking differences are omens. Amongst smaller kids, there is no difficulty in getting them to all play together, Their thoughts are not totally corrupted as others. Probably the demon has no time to bother with smaller children. 8&A|)ur4  
J XRf4QmG  
V=zM5MH2  
b^l -*4  
q~' K9  
EBDC'^  
vLK\X$4  
EO 9kE.g  
62. With the description of the weather and Jimmy's teeling about it the author intends to show that_________ . kS Da\l!W]  
*CPB5s  
A. what a happy world it is for humans K.iH  
q{De&Bu  
B. what an innocent boy Jimmy was qp~4KukL  
2c>H(t h=  
C. what an unusual thing that was to happen to Jimmy Puth8$  
.t^UK#@#4  
D. what a wonderful world that people have ignored F3Ak'h{Ay  
fdq^!MWTi  
63. From the conversation with the three white boys, we learn that Jimmy z5yb$-j  
H6PXx  
TA@tRGP>  
H?=pWB  
A. must have offended them before X4P}aC  
f?>-yMR|  
B. was a pleasant boy to be talked to ;*)fO? TG)  
UP~WP@0F  
C. was being humiliated for being black =~W0~lxX  
RP|>& I  
D. must have got used to their behaviors _8NEwwhc  
X8,7_D$  
64, According to the author, Racism ?LV-W  
0x>/6 <<  
A. leads to a world with no variety G1?0Q_RN  
,>QMyI hv  
B. does not see the differences between cultures d Ik8TJ  
k binf  
C. hinders rhe world's economic development /.| A  
0U~;%N+lv  
D. does not tolerate coexistence of different cultures #4P3xa  
4[LLnF--  
65. By saying ''No doubt, we are alt racist" (in boldface in Paragraph 3) the author admits that . zldfRo\wl  
AK@`'$  
A. we are all warlike by nature DD/>{kff  
>op:0on]}  
B. we all discriminate against other peoples \uU=O )  
.)"_Q/q  
C. we are all proud of our own race and nation [5? 4c'Ev  
Ge^zX$.'  
D. we all focus on the difference between races =9qGEkd3  
u0bfX,e2U  
66, To be continued, the passage would probably be followed by a paragraph that deals with b)on A|  
JQKC ;p  
A. how children's thoughts are corrupted by racism as they grow '%zN  
K0EY<Ltq  
B. the author's far more miserable experience of being neglected KG V.S  
c;:">NR  
C. how the black people should unite to fight against the Whites u*t,i`  
8 uDerJ!  
D. the education of smaller children to behave pleasantly to each other n S_Ta  
di6B!YQP  
S  ~@r  
~7dM!g{W  
67. Which of the following can best describe the tone of the passage? A}t %;V2  
+h0PR?  
A. provocative :J^qjAV  
Q~Ay8L+  
B. indignant yXJ]U \ %  
@ Ii-NmOr  
C. sentimental `I5O4|K)  
ShQ|{P9  
D. sarcastic ,i?)  
Og,Y)a;=  
Passage 3 kOw=c Gt  
z{ptm7  
This week marks the 10th anniversary of the Alar apple scare, in which many American consumers were driven into a panic following the release of a report by an environmental organization claiming that apples containing the chemical Alar posed a serious health threat to preschoolers. The report was disseminated through a PR (Problem Report) campaign and bypassed any legitimate form of scientific peer review. Introduced to the American public by CBS' "60 Minutes," the unsubstantiated claims in the report led some school districts to remove apples from their school lunch programs and unduly frightened conscientious parents trying to develop good eating habits for their children. y|$R`P  
5L8&/EN9-  
Last month, Consumers Union released a report warning consumers of the perils of consuming many fruits and vegetables that frequently contained '"unsafe" levels of pesticide residues. This was especially true for children, they claimed. Like its predecessor 10 years earlier, the Consumers Union report received no legitimate scientific peer review and the public's first exposure to it was through news coverage. >~_J q|KBB  
a:85L!~:l  
Not only does such reporting potentially drive children from consuming healthful fruits and vegetables, the conclusions were based on a misleading interpretation of what constitutes a "safe" level of exposure. Briefly, the authors used values known as the "chronic reference doses," set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, as their barometers of safety. Used appropriately, these levels represent the maximum amount of pesticide that could be consumed daily for life without concern. For a 70-year lifetime, for example, consumers would have to ingest this average amount of pesticide every day for more than 25,000 days. It is clear, as the report points out. that there are days on which kids may be exposed to more; it is also clear that there are many more days when exposure is zero. Had the authors more appropriately calculated the cumulative exposures for which the safety standards are meant to apply, there would have been no risks and no warnings. 9B /s  
cv}aS_`f  
Parents should feel proud, rather than guilty, of providing fruits and vegetables for their children. It is well established that a diet rich in such foods decreases the risk of heart disease and cancer. Such benefits dramatically overwhelm the theoretical risks of ?w-1:NW jt  
eP"`,<  
MDJc[am  
-"=)z / S  
tiny amounts of pesticides in food. So keep serving up the peaches, apples, spinach, squash, grapes and pears. NmJ`?-Z  
jpRBER_X  
68. In the Alar apple scare, many Americans were frightened because , h4 _ b!E@  
GF8 -_X  
A. scientists warned that apples were dangerous C5|db{=\.*  
7h%4]  
B. many school children became ill after eating apples LN4qYp6)G  
k;k}qq`d  
C. it was reported that apples were harmful to health `\bT'~P  
W^es;5  
D. apples were discovered to have too much pesticide |~ WYEh  
?c]n^GvG  
69. The warning message about the Alar apple was given . [:iv4>ZZ  
&SH1q_&BQ  
A. by Consumers Union WF2NG;f=  
>O#grDXb  
B. by a health center iXFP5a>|  
i^)WPP>4Aw  
C. through an news agency ](#&.q%5!  
DVlJ*A  
D. through the government glE^t6)  
=bLY /  
70. The last month report parallels that on the Alar apple scare in that .  z [C3  
>xqM5#m`E$  
A. neither really caused worry among the public "0CjP+1k  
oFDz;6  
B. neither underwent a scientific peer review hIY Te  
yHeEobvb  
C. neither provided statistical supports -oyO+1V  
Hp Vjee  
D. neither aimed for the public good D)Q)NI  
nwA8ALhE  
71. The ''chronic reference doses" (in boldface in Paragraph 3) refer to . OtTBErQNF  
>9H@|[C  
A, the safe levels of pesticide exposure :7g=b%;  
WC,+Cn e  
B. the amount of fruits one can safely eat X^@ I].  
pI.+"Hz  
C, one's digestive capacity for fruits \.uc06  
i3VW1~.8  
D. health values of fruits and vegetables )IL #>2n?  
2xwlKmI N  
72. With regard to the pesticides in food, this passage seems to argue that %JZZ%xc  
+7V{ABfGl  
A. parents should keep their children from the food with pesticides *sw7niw  
(X[CsaXt  
B. they should be applied to fruits and vegetables with caution V 9wI\0  
w Y   
C. more research needs to be done on their harmfulness to health A{eLl  
S=`+Ryc  
D. they are not as threatening as said to children most of the time Kl{>jr8B3  
)D&M2CUw"f  
~PWSo%W8  
fBn"kr;  
73, The primary purpose of this passage is to explain that___ Ny- [9S-<  
}A=y=+4 j  
A. not all reports on food are scientifically sound B+d<F[ |  
|{r$jZeE  
B. it is important for the public to know the risks of pesticides N,dT3we  
f/,>%j=Ms  
C. vegetables and fruits can be harmful to children's health l>gI&1)%  
2T@GA 1G  
D. there should be no public concern over pesticides D_mL,w  
{5r0v#;  
Passage 4 E/&Rb*3  
H=*5ASc  
Abortion. The word alone causes civil conversation to flee the room. This is largely because the pro-choice and pro-life positions are being defined by their extremes, by those who scream accusations instead of arguments. {Gq*e/  
%CwL:.|  
More reasonable voices and concerns, on both sides of the fence, are given little attention. Pi,QHb`>  
S{4z?Ri, '  
For example, prolife extremists seem unwilling to draw distinctions between some abortions and others, such as those resulting from rape with an underage child. They would make no exception in the recent real-life case of a woman who discovered in her fifth month that her baby would be bom dead due to severe disabilities. >d"3<S ; b  
&AVpLf:?  
On the other hand, pro-choice extremists within feminism insist on holding inconsistent positions. The pregnant woman has an unquestionable right to abort, they claim. Yet if the biological father has no say whatsoever over the woman's choice, is it reasonable to impose legal obligations upon him for child support? Can absolute legal obligation adhere without some son of corresponding legal rights? Oa;X +  
XC 7?VE  
The only hope for progress in the abortion dialogue lies in the great excluded middle, in the voices of average people who see something wrong with a young girl forced to bear the baby of a rapist. YjF|XPv+ l  
_=ua6}Xp  
Any commentary on abortion should include a statement of the writer's position, I represent what seems to be a growing "middle ground" in pro-choice opinion. Legally, 1 believe in the right of every human being to medically control everything under his or her own skin. Many things people have a legal right to do, however, seem clearly wrong to me: adultery, lying to friends, walking past someone who is bleeding on the street. Some forms of abortion fall into that category. Morally speaking, my doubts have become so extreme that I could not undergo the procedure past the first three months and 1 would attempt to dissuade friends from doing so. a?|vQ*W  
>3 yk#U|7}  
Partial-birth abortion has thrown many pro-choice advocates into moral chaos. I find it impossible to view photos of late-term abortion—the fetus's contorted features, the tiny fully formed hands, the limbs ripped apart—without experiencing nausea. This reaction makes me ineffectual in advocating the absolute right to abortion. 1 stand by dY?`f<*  
)"zvwgaW  
alh >"9~!  
$aHAv/&(5  
tlie principle, "a woman's body, a woman's right" but I don't always like myself for do ing so. mk7&<M  
|qZ ko[W}=  
Fanatics on both sides are using reprehensible and deceitful tactics. An honest dialogue on abortion must start by re-setting the stage, by denouncing the approaches that block communication. 8+]hpa,q  
j!7`]  
74. According to the passage, the pro-life and pro-choice positions on abortion are !D!~ ^\  
[."[pY  
A. complementary to each other pa}*E  
? JL7=o X  
B. opposed to each other $^u} a   
UobyK3.%  
C. similar in nature 85 EQ5yY  
$+. l* ]  
D. reconcilable in a way 7t,t`  
*[= bR>  
75. To a pro-life extremist, . G: x*BH+  
7~#:>OjW  
A. all babies should be carried to term .0R v(Y  
PtqJ*Z  
B. babies resulting from rape should not be bom @ HZKc\1  
l L]y~u  
C. deformed babies can be aborted when detected ]|<w\\^A  
6<K6Y5<6  
D. an underage girl has no right to give birth g$. \  
Ltjbxw"Qd  
76. According to the pro-choice position,_____ ?\8?%Qk  
hHqh{:q{v  
A. a pregnant woman cannot abort her baby if its father agrees to keep it ]Qm]I1P  
fDx9iHGv  
B. a pregnant woman has an absolute right of choice over an abortion i-yy/y-N  
O Fje+S  
C. the baby's father also has a say over its mother's choice of abortion r! Ay :r  
dMR3)CO  
D. the baby's father has an unalienable obligation to support the baby  |W< +U  
I(=V}s2  
77, Who would insist that the baby be born whether or not it is the child of a rapist? OT'[:|x ;  
|lv|!]qAma  
A. the author G%d (  
yoAfc  
B. average people ePIiF_X  
4Vq%N  
C. a pro-choice advocate :x_'i_w  
'mV9{lj7E  
D. a pro-life extremist Z4IgBn(Z_}  
%,ngRYxT#  
78. The author doubts the legal right to lie to friends as well as the one to ?k(\ApVHj  
trE{FT  
]r_;dYa  
9(":,M(/o  
A. abort a fetus in its fifth month <id}<H  
s=[h?kB  
B. view the photos of late-term abortion &IlU|4`R%  
VE8;sGaJ  
C. give birth to a baby in one's teenage *-xU2  
Qyy.IPTP  
D. dispose of whatever under one's skin Li Kxq=K  
\rPbK+G.  
&5: tn=E  
Uk\Id ~xLV  
79. The author, as a "middle ground" person,___________ . S6[v;{xJ  
EAeqLtFqs  
A. actually holds a mild pro-life opinion t:fFU1x  
@$T 9Ll  
B. proposes that a rapist's baby never be born `Qqk<o  
~/*MY  
C. advocates a serious dialogue on abortion 1T[et-  
(64yg  
D. denies the principle "a woman's body, a woman's right" p ]d] QMu  
-I=l8m6L  
Passage 5 ^+g$iM[`f  
H#ncM~y*  
In the absence of optimism, we are left with nothing but critics, naysayers, and prophets of doom. When a nation expects the worst from its people and institutions, and its experts focus exclusively on faults, hope dies. Too many people spend too much time looting down rather than up, Finding fault with their country's political institutions, economic system, educational establishment, religious organizations, and—worst of all—with each other. P@FHnh3}Z$  
AFA AuFE"  
Faultfinding expends so much negative energy that nothing is left over for positive action. It takes courage and strength to solve the genuine problems that afflict every society. Sure, there will always be things that need fixing. But the question is, Do you want to spend your time and energy tearing things down or building them up? $LU"?aAW  
F+u|HiYG  
The staging of a Broadway show could illustrate my point. Let's say a new production is about to open, A playwright has polished the script, investors have put up the money, and the theater has been rented, A director has been chosen, actors have been auditioned and selected, and the cast has been rehearsing for weeks. Set, lighting, and sound engineers have been hard at work. By the time opening night arrives, nearly a hundred people have labored tirelessly—all working long hours to make magic for iheir audience. F;]%V%F.X  
[Jv@J\  
On opening night, four or five critics sit in the audience, [f they pan it, the play will probably close in a matter of days or weeks. If they praise it, the production could go on for a long and successful run. In the end, success or failure might hinge on the opinion of a single person—someone who might be in a bad mood on opening night! What's wrong with this scene? In one sense, nothing. Critics have a legitimate role. The problem arises when we make critics our heroes or put them in control of our fate. When we empower the critic more than the playwright, something is wrong. It is much easier to criticize than to create. When we revere the critics of society, we eventually become a society of critics, and when that happens, there is no room left for constructive optimism. f%*/cpA)  
J_;o|gqX  
o]opdw  
7a~X:#  
%Z1N;g0  
/bVoErf  
80. According to the author, critics usually . 0L/n?bf  
&#iTQD  
A. ignore minor imperfections K1T4cUo  
^ (FdXGs[  
B. overemphasize flaws #Q /Arq  
q7E~+p(>(  
C. see both sides of a coin Ct>GYk$  
mrjswF27$o  
D. pin their hopes on improvements _D+J!f^  
r! MWbFw|X  
81. It can be inferred from the text that if optimism were adopted, . \7'+h5a  
9_5ow  
A, no serious problems would arise in society :n-]>Q>5=k  
$A-J,_:T<  
B, anything could be done with ease y9Usn8  
)'+8}T]xQ  
C. some social problems could more possibly be solved #NryLE!/  
{Sj9%2'M)  
D. people would succeed in getting over all the obstacles av|g}xnj  
4v{o  
52. The preparation of a Broadway show is mentioned in order to . :Nz2z[W$  
~o~!+`@q  
A. explain that staging a play requires complex teamwork V: TM]  
7x%R:^*4  
B. argue that a minute mistake may ruin a lifelong task }xh$T'M8  
,1+y/{S  
C. show that the preparatory stage is imperative to the following ones .0`m\~L  
9~/J35  
D. illustrate that criticism may block the way to success R[hzMU}KB  
4?q <e*W  
83. Compared with the playwrights, the critics are, according to the author, IHv[ v*4:  
7%|~>  
A. pretentious rather than honest "ozr+:#\  
cmU1!2.1E  
B. arrogant rather than modest he C/\@B  
C- cruel rather than merciful (Hb:?(  
UKT%13CO4U  
D, destructive rather than constructive oF1,QQ^dg  
0vD7v  
84. What might be the ultimate result of a biased bitter criticism? ]rH\`0  
8h*Icf  
A. more rebellion V8C:"UZ;  
p;3O#n- _  
B. more creativity z kuU5O  
o.!~8mD  
C. less initiative ?IqQ-C)6D  
koZ*+VP=  
D. less destruction d\|?-hY`[  
xy/`ZS2WPq  
85. The main idea of this passage is . mpU$ +  
_u5#v0Y  
A. the destructive role of utter pessimism %7IugHH9y  
t\k$};qJ  
B. achieving success regardless of criticism /'l{E  
~obqG!2m  
C. no cracking down, no building up lm-dW'7&  
[B#R94  
D. one should learn to handle stresses 4ew" %Cs*  
(_mnB W  
)NXmn95  
A@1W}8qY:  
7Bzq,2s  
v &Yi  
PAPER TWO Pq;U &,  
&:9c AIe]H  
PART V TRANSLATION (30 minutes, 10 points) `scR*]f1+  
Wu c S:8#|  
Directions: Read (he following text carefully and then translate the underlined segments into Chinese. Write your pieces of Chinese version in the proper space on your Answer Sheet II. 9kN}c<o  
~:kZgUP_f  
Are you really in love? How do you know the difference between love and infatuation? This is often difficult to determine, for there are no set rules surrounding the definitions of love or infatuation. Romantic love is very much a part of the American way of life and many expect that some day "it" is going to hit them and they will know they are in love. ,Ys %:>?  
5[k/s}g  
What are some of the differences between love and infatuation? 1) Genuine love is more likely to involve a process of "growing" in love rather than "falling" in love. This may sound terribly unromantic to some who are used to hearing talk about "falling in love" or being "head over heels in love". This "falling" is often infatuation, and the sheer emotion of "falling31 in love often blinds a person to the imperfections of the loved one. We tend to think of the loved one as "perfect", "ideal", or some other divine image. Real love sees the total person—both the "perfection" and the imperfection. Infatuation, then, is a sudden, emotional sense that one has discovered the "perfect" lover. On the other hand, love realizes imperfections and grows with the acceptance of those imperfections. :DrWq{4  
l&OKBUG  
2) Love leads a person to a feeling of security and trust in the loved one. It usually h)ECf?r<  
involves a feeling of mutual benefit arising from the new relationship. "We are able to `<`` 8  
solve our problems together" is the feeling of love, rather than 'Please love me because \HxT@U Q)~  
I need you." [,t*Pfq'W8  
1an^1!  
3) Infatuation often entails feelings of insecurity whenever the "lovers" are R} eN@#"D  
separated: feelings of doubt, fickleness, uncertainty, and fear of loss often accompany =x%dNf$e{W  
Infatuation. "What will I do if I lose him?" and "1 wonder if she really means it when b#uL?f  
she says she loves me?" express the feelings of infatuation, in such a setting a lasting @Lpq~ 1eZB  
love does not have a chance to develop. $UMFNjL  
eJF5n#  
41 Infatuation tends to be more manipulative than love because a lasting feel inn of relationship probably has not developed, so that the individuals are still concerned mainly about their own needs and satisfactions. Conversely, in love, the feeling of relationship is genuine and sincere so that concern for the other person evolves naturally. cv-PRH#  
/ ;$#d}R  
iEVb"w0 59  
aE`c%T):`  
Q3n,)M[N  
9Tg IB  
5) Physical attraction is an important part of both infatuation and love, but the superficial attraction is less important in love, for the couple experiencing Jove usually will build their relationship on a broader base than mere physical attraction. CY 4gSe?  
v~f HYa>  
PART VI WRITING (40 minutes, 15 points) 7]U "Z*  
L"E7#}  
Directions: Write an essay of no less than 200 words on the topic given below Use (he proper space on your Answer Sheet II. 0IwA#[m1`  
T%.8 '9  
TOPIC 6*PYFf`  
-E^vLB)O  
Good management can help the organization achieve its desired results. This is particularly true of the management of an organization full of scientists and research workers. What is your idea about a good management or a good manager of such a group of people?
显示用户信息 
6楼  发表于: 2007-11-19   
中科院2005年招收攻读博士学位研究生入学考试试题 ; o?-yI&T*  
whmdcVh.  
中科院2005年招收攻读博士学位研究生入学考试试题 (hB&OP5Fne b=g8eMm  
br A\Fp ^   gD,1 06%  
PART 1 STRUCTURE&VOCABULARY ( 25minutes,15points) JC ~L!)f   vL|SY_:4  
[X' XxY bZ di?K"Z>  
sectionA( 0.5 point eath) P 8N`t&r"7 x^HGVWw_  
tiZ5 :^$b4 hU(umL<  
direction: choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your machine-scoring answer sheet. [Bn C_ ^[W MC?,UDNd%  
Yj/aa0Ka4   J,V9k[88  
16.Knowing that the cruel criminal has done a lot of unlawful things, I feel sure that I have no __________ but to report him to the local police. Zj @ k3y {J{+FFsr(  
B ?B B   CpA|4'#  
A. time B. chance C. authority D. alternative {BkTJQ ) UM!ENI|  
C| #GODA   ~o82uw?  
17.Behind his large smiles and large cigars, his eyes often seemed to __________regret. =Q\z*.5j . K-e9>fmB#  
,8~ q nLy9 o]+z)5zC  
A. teem B. brim with C. come with D. look with p :*) rE J{l1nHQZSu  
['<Q402:. VC u{&Sh*  
18.There is only one difference between an old man and a young one: the young one has a glorious future before him and the old one has a _______future behind him. <c` + f PW g$7{-OpB  
WJ%4I   aT Fgkajig  
A. splendid B. conspicuous C. uproarious D. imminent G SHJ?}U, ?5U2D%t  
g u   ~JB g'p K  
19. That tragedy distressed me so much that I used to keep indoors and go out only _________necessity. 49 ('pq?D CAWA3fcQp  
Th\ w #%'N 03xa'Of>  
A. within reach of B. for fear of C. by means of D. in case of ^bD )Tg5K l]@&D#3ZM  
ec 8 iZ8h8 G %N $C  
20. A young man sees a sunset and unable to understand of express the emotion that it _________in him, concludes that it must be the gateway to a world that lies beyond. Jw+k=>   8;z6=.4xtg  
buj * L& Tu@8}C  
A. reflects B. retains C. rouses D. radiates e(z'u A{! rFIqC:=  
pu" m (9 M8INk,si  
21.______________the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8-10minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. C :9 a$   w<C#Bka  
L BIsj}e ]p*l%(dhY  
A. Turn off B. Turn over C. Turn down D. Turn up Pb] EpyA W VOKZ dC-  
[ uLp m *7 3Dg,GaRk  
22.Banks shall be unable to ___________,or claim relief against the first 15%of any loan or bankrupted debt left with them . U/s!Tb>` JCz@s~f\y  
'}, 8 x?   .EpV;xq}  
A. write off B. put aside C. shrink from D. come over (7   * (( ^:6{22C{  
-}C MNh   ~;Ov-^tp  
23.I am to inform you ,that you may ,if you wish , attend the inquiry ,and at the inspectors discretion state your case _________or through an entrusted representative. 2u zy]f aM <!L>Exh&r  
c\.7 Z=D /4tj3B,  
A. in person B. in depth C. in secret D. in excess C a}V5 O [!!o-9b  
)ZMR 4U$+v wkP#Z"A0~  
24.In his view, though Hong Kong has no direct cultural identity, local art is thriving by “being ___________,”being open to all kinds of art. ' ) K'Ea I{ HN67O  
sI5S)^'IQ   =2Bg9!zW>  
A. gratifying B. predominating C. excelling D. accommodating vE c< |t dODt(J}%  
NJ myp!8 Q&MZN);.  
25.In some countries preschool education in nursery schools or kindergartens _________the 1stgrade. Gg y7xb   iDMJicW!+F  
VK% j45D` nNrPHNfqD  
A. leads B. precedes C. forwards D. advances R,`3 SW() W"):-Wq  
;{1   ws I'PeN0T f  
26.Desert plants ________ two categories according to the way they deal with the problem of surviving drought. h |.   {dv ;} und*q  
'H (khS   fYp'&Btb]x  
A. break down B. fall into C. differ in D. refer to "DS RyD0M JmPHAUd  
? :3 rV fO HkQ*y$$  
27.In the airport, I could hear nothing except the roar of aircraft engines which _________ all other sounds. 7 Mb-v } ;epV<{e$q4  
yGC 3B0 0Z dA@'b5N{"  
A. dwarfed B. diminished C. drowned D. relative c 3N,P< #   Is]aj-#r  
:z 2 G a sW)Zi  
28.Criticism without suggesting areas of improvement is not _________ and should be avoided if possible. mA4]c     -M%_\;"de  
_*n 4W^8   MxWy*|J}  
A. constructive B. productive C. descriptive D. relative { Z#=pp vs *\=.<|HZ  
>~})O& t u@~JiiC%  
29. The Committee pronounced four members expelled for failure to provide information in the ____________ of investigations. "f >` ZFp^ f~Fm4 >\(  
$J *lD -h- -`<kCW"  
A. case B. chase C. cause D. course CM;B{*E n !lEY=1nHOJ  
[m( n-Mu F SGh1 DB  
30. Since neither side was ready to __________ what was necessary for peace, hostility were resumed in 1980. ?4#wVzuzA *F ? 8c  
)j m !^m NLS%Sq  
A. precede B. recede C. concede D. intercede 2 j=Hx E   F_Y7@Ei/  
=J'&.@D wz M%1}/!J3  
31.Such an _________act of hostility can only lead to war.   BF / 4 A/s>PhxV  
;Hn> Ew   e_s&L,ze  
A. overt B. episodic C. ample D. ultimate WP !u3 \91 qtiz a~u  
tkW 7 wP ; _/Gczy4)#  
32._________ both in working life and everyday living to different sets of values, and expectations places a severe strain on the individual. SyI i* dH `kbSu}  
76 b 2 3 | NG  
A. Recreation B. Transaction C. Disclosure D. Exposure \o mfWW pK 43={Xy   
Nzl` mx1 6 Y|8:;u'  
33. It would then be replaced by interim government, which would _________be replaced by a permanent government after four months. dm" |\ 7   T%6&PrQ7  
8r 48+_y3u BYs-V:  
A. in step B. in turn B. in practice D. in haste (   VBO1f zunV<2~(2}  
>z k6{ kC x%+aKZ(m)  
34. Haven’t I told you I don’t want you keeping ____________ with those awful riding-about bicycle boys? @-XM ox/   j7sKsbb  
|]]R p u}!@ ,/)  
A. company B. acquaintance C. friends D. place ab>>W !r@! MS0Fl|YA  
Je=k .p O1 Fx5d:!]:$?  
35.Consumers deprived of the information and advice they needed were quite simply _________ every cheat in the marketplace. | yi#6!}^ 66.5QD0  
.`/6[Z p   T/^Hz4uA7  
A. at the mercy of B. in lieu of C. by courtesy of D. for the price of sg4T X?I   )dY=0"4Z  
E$ s ?)   _<a7CCg  
Section B (0.5 point each) Dj' +,{7,u oI}kH=<,  
>?r 8D48`   UilMv~0  
Directions : in each of the following sentences there are four parts underlined and marked A, B, C, and D. Indicate which of the four parts is incorrectly used. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice by drawing a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. $z J !L   Row)hx8  
[*d<LAnuWP SfJ./ny  
36. The auctioneer must know fair accurately the current market values of the goods he is '%Ka Ai $ ({JHZ6uZ  
$DhW=(YM_a zX0md x<|<  
A B C D S j @V OW KN t t  
[k     $/=nU*pd  
selling. a nt#bD b/ p98~&\QT  
e+Sq &H !@ d}JP!xf%  
37.Children are among the most frequent victims of violent, drug-related crimes that have nothing RW^e#z>m"E &^}6 9  
QHw {@ *   G:pEE:W[  
A B C ]`TX%Qni   9lGOWRxR)  
J p +h'' t 3G uH857ov  
doing with the cost of acquiring the drugs. q HC/)M #L _~rI+lA  
9DaoM OPEI ]J:1P`k.  
D mZ4I} _\, U5-@2YcH  
` lN   Z|U J|X 6j&-  
38. A large collection of contemporary photographs, including some taken by Mary are on display jn#Ok@t Z [5uRS}!  
#4ii !e v   jCrpL~tWT  
A B C   cT3s{k 8}fu,$$5  
rI4N 3d;C j'aHF#_  
at the museum. za [;d4<}k /}Lt,9  
8ubb~B; /DqLrA  
D {ZD'l5jU 2*N_5&9mE  
R*z:+p}oHy .Wq@gV  
39.There is much in our life which we do not control and we are not even responsible for. _3 3YgO   ZR$'u%+g'  
iJ 8I# j+N ?W0)nQU  
A B C D ">NPp\t>/Z j:,NE(DF  
Wf!<Qot|R# <JV"@H=  
40. Capital inflows will also tend to increase the international value of the dollar, make it more   aO>Nev $&"V^@  
H `X > PH*\AZJCl  
A B C   )#_:5^1   fm(e3]  
v^ QUYsar G NS`.fS  
difficult to sell U.S. exports. FW7@7cVoF &f7fK|}  
3 h~U )mg 0]D{V a  
D i!9|R)   c P ~#>H{  
#:6gFfk0< xGU(n _Y  
41. It can be argued that the problems, even something as fundamental as the ever-increased world   #3m7`} c 8E8N6  
~\~ K ,v &AlJ "N|  
A B C 8rwXbYx x *loOiM\5a  
iAAlld 1 @x e Ac0.^  
population, have been caused by technological adcance.   NEG&zf   mo1oyQg8  
lq%6~ v a zNY)'  
D 3+v+_I>%k M:P0m6ie  
7<ZC e M2x }BiiE%a  
42. It takes the most cool-headed and good-tempered of drivers to resist the temptation to revenge [,1\>z|&   ^/5XZ} *  
iKu~o.y y ,jC3Fcly  
A B C e e = d*) <BSc* 9Q  
] _ON\v 1 oW^*l#v  
as subfected to uncivilized behavior. GGY WvGE+ \`ZW* EtPI  
s Bo|e ]m# S}f?.7  
D ?oc# $fcQ~ 1yV: qp  
Y_}DF.>I P sz @p_Z/  
43. While experts in basic science are important, skilled talents should be the overriding majority @ Ag V 7# A/7X9ir  
Psf'#4g H"Klj_<dH0  
A B C 3r)<:4a u& *xE,sj+(  
/kAu   & } .))v0   
since they are at heavy demand in the market. YB}p` b42L or k=`};  
d`z) ,A= Z4){ 7|~a  
D ? E@ 9 Nvr k<RZKwQc  
\& &jzU2   MG /,==  
QsaaA MGY S lSM+F  
44.Retailers offered deep discounts and extra hours this weekend in the bid to lure shoppers. O   l,Tw=? vA)O {W\o  
BPoY32d"_   s/:Fwr4q#a  
A B C D d v+)U9at @$"L:1_  
IAD_T   ck `:O\dN>ON  
45.The amendments of the laws on patent, trademark and copyright have enhanced protection of H0 Q .; !^ @\w,otT  
t7 rz]EN   -o+74=E8[?  
A B f^ 8 , Z+n ^E6d`2w-  
u TN m t] pG^}Xf2a  
intellectual property rights and made them conform to WTO rules. bg W= .s =`Y.=RL+'n  
C wKo'PAJ   \@}#Gez  
C D w$~| /UrLf q8:{Nk  
>;S / $ X%bFN  
PART3 CLOZE TEST (15minutes, 15 points) = ;.# Bds ]O {u tm  
>W, 1   s   fWF |,A>>b  
Directions: There are 15 questions in this part of the test. Read the passage through. Then, go back and choose one suitable word or phrase marked A, B, C, or D for each blank in the passage. Mark the corresponding letter of the word or phrase you have chosen with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. . W{\wk n D;Gq)]O  
j[ !'l,I Dml*T(WM>  
At least since the Industrial Revolution, gender roles have been in a state of transition. As a result, cultural scripts about marriage have undergone change, One of the more obvious ___46____ has occurred in the roles that women 47 . Women have moved into the world of work and have become adept at meeting expectations in that arena, 48 maintaining their family roles of nurturing and creating a(n) 49 that is a haven for all family members. 50 many women experience strain from trying to “do it all, ” they often endoy the increased 51 that can result from playing multiple roles. As women’s roles have changed, changing expectations about men’s roles have become more 52 . Many men are relinquishing their major responsibility 53 the family provider. Probably the most significant change in men’s roles, however, is in the emotional 54 of family life. Men are increasingly 55 to meet the emotional needs of their families, 56 their wives. %\?2W8Qv_J 4yaxl\2  
(K   aP=t} x90jw$\%7  
In fact, expectations about he emotional domain of marriage have become more significant for marriage in general. Research on 57 marriage has changed over recent decades points to the increasing importance of the emotional side of the relationship, and the importance of sharing in the “ emotion work” 58 to nourish marriages and other family relationships. Men and women want to experience marriages that are interdependent, 59 both partners nurture each other, attend and respond to each other, and encourage and promote each other. We are thus seeing marriages in which men’s and women’s roles are becoming increasingly more 60 . ;L.@4b[lP 1!p/6  
x0wy3+GZc JaWv]@9*  
46. A. incidents B. changes C. results D. effects E < ;C@B   3`HnLD/  
O.S(H1z< G VGw(6`|!  
47. A. take B. do C. play D. show R O ,   ;Qi }{;+  
+hg|! SS@5 PN$ .X"D8  
48. A. by B. while C. hence D. thus   jJ 86Ch tvX>{-M  
R o`Hm8o/ j%<}jw[2  
49. A. home B. garden C. arena D. paradise *b 9=&:pU( yB LUNIr  
01q5 B Q7u +:6Ii9G N  
50. A. When B. Even though C. Since D. Nevertheless c*ac9Y' o Sx ] T/xq  
. 0;Z:x_3 kllQca|$4  
51. A. rewards B. profits C. privileges D. incomes r8rU+4\8 < 8_d -81Dd  
HYf&0LT<11 %HtuR2#ca  
52. A. general B. acceptable C. popular D. apparent 'e k7e.x|V #$\fh;!W  
>8+: {NW   92dF`sv  
53. A. as B. of C. from D. for i E>E*!aBg \'19BAm'  
Xq MJe'% r 4ZT A>   
54. A. section B. constituent C. domain D. point `)$'1, ]u <Y'>F!?#  
(mIw3d8Tz SQE[m9v  
55. A. encouraged B. expected C. advised D. predicted 5SKj% %B2, (}!C4S3#  
"pGSz % i- lS{r=y_0.  
56. A. not to mention B. as well as C. including D. especially $ \0) ~cy v7trr W}  
A]^RV {P 0)uYizJce  
57. A. how B. what C. why D. if 7jP C {W   ned2lC&'d>  
Ao>]   ~r0 K.>wQA&  
58. A. but B. only C. enough D. necessary # 5*|/LD V7=SV:+1or  
Q Eo i9@3 <o:@dS  
59. A. unless B. although C. where D. because }cUq1r-bW   U;xF#e  
>p"yt R u^ dc0@Y  
60. A. pleasant B. important C. similar D. manageable Fo   K!JX* #P2;K dDO  
t2V|moG `T!#@&+  
PART 4 READING COMPREHENSION (60minutes, 30 points) X 6hm, 0 [ Yq'4e[i  
[   1Cs   ?~ULIO'  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. :xqhPr ]e }4c/YP"a'E  
OQl7#`G!H% 9\O(n>  
Passage1 E]T >m! 6 3" Vd==oK~  
0^l )9z E 'Am-vhpm  
The man who invented Coca-cola was not a native Atlantan, but on the day of his funeral every drugstore in town testimonially shut up shop. He was John Styth Pemberton, born in 1833 in Knoxville, Georgia, eighty miles away. Sometimes known as Doctor, Pemberton was a pharmacist who, during the Civil War, led a cavalry troop under General Joe Wheelrer. He settled in Atlanta in 1869, and soon began brewing such patent medicines as Triplex Liver Pills and Globe of Flower Cough Syrup. In 1885, he registered a trademark for something called French Wine Coca-Ideal Nerve and Tonic Stimulant, a few months later he formed the Pemberton Chemical Company, and recruited the services of a bookkeeper named Frank M. Robinson, who not only had a good head for figures but, attached to it, so exceptional a nose that he could audit the composition of a batch of syrup merely by sniffling it. In 1886-a year in which, as contemporary Coca-Coca officials like to point our, Conan Doyle unveiled Sherlock Holmes and France unveiled the Statue of Liberty-Pemberton unveiled a syrup that he called Coca-Coca. It was a modification of his French Wine Coca. He had taken our the wine and added a pinch of caffeine, and, when the end product tasted awful, had thrown in some extract of cola nut and a few other oils, blending the mixture in a three-legged iron pot in his back yard and swishing it around with an oar. He distributed it to soda fountains in used beer bottles, and Robinson, with his glowing bookkeeper’s script, presently devised a label, on which “Coca-Cola” was written in the fashion that is still employed. Pemberton looked upon his mixture less as a refreshment than as a headache cure, especially for people whose headache could be traced to over-indulgence. 'MF |( `   SHdL /1~t  
p]z< 43O$ (wt+`_6  
On a morning late in 1886,one such victim of the night before dragged himself into an Atlanta drugstore and asked for a doolop of Cola-Cola. Druggists customarily stirred a teaspoonful of syrup into a glass of water, but in this instance the man on duty was too lazy to walk to the fresh-water tap, a couple of feet off. Instead, he mixed the syrup with some soda water, which was closer at hand. The suffering customer perked up almost at once, and word quickly spread that the best Coca-Cola was a fizzy one. c4\ N u y Wr|G:(kw\!  
OD;- 0B j   ZykrQ\q9  
64. What dose the passage tell us about John Styth Pemberton? ` B1r+uTP~ EZr6oO@Nc  
aRt`Ic ZYz zj M/M  
A. He was highly respected by Atlantans +1 uAzm4SL ~a+NJ6e1  
t@_MWF `6w#8}  
B. He ran a drug store that also sells wine. #0 :N$' SZ [e"RTTRfZ  
@N(*1,s2   z-u?s`k**  
C. He had been a doctor until the Civil War. 6=aX z2.f z:G}>fk5  
;z Qrree# BnEdv8\,&s  
D. He made a lot of money with his pharmacy. zJ Mm=Mw^   x*8O*!ZZ  
3hD \6, @ C|e+0aW  
62. Which of the following was unique to Frank M. Robinson, working with the Pemberton’s Company? ab !C u8~v 9&jPp4qG  
';vL j1 v   >BiRk%x  
A. Skills to make French wine ?TL zOYJp   >A jCl  
/> 13? o# y lL8+7W  
B. Talent for drawing pictures OMz_xm.UPi 9Q[>.):  
I #bta uW[3G  
C. An acute sense of smell. V X+: C(m~ #EwK"S~  
M\! z='Fi G=$}5; t  
D. Ability to work with numbers. a j13 cC$   cf*zejbw  
]N4?*S*jd) <aVfJd/fT  
63.Why was the year 1886 so special to Pemberton? #b Z T&YE^ sv=^k(d3  
| <Rf^"T   ;QPy:x3  
A. He took to doing a job like Sherlock Holmes’s fZNWJo# `. )Qr6/c 8}  
rI;84=v2&9 ?`. XK}  
B. He brought a quite profitable product into being. G\ m `{j v VD;j[~/Z  
xwe^   _7 gM, &Spn  
C. He observed the founding ceremony of Statue of Liberty. $9PscubM4 plku-O;]  
TBr@F|RXiO aL )Hv k:  
D. He was awarded by Coca-Cola for his contribution se ]q~<& )F E8D  
; lU]ilY v 3H'*?|Y(#  
64.One modification made of French Wine Coca formula was__________ n[ tE S6u `vEqj v  
KX vBJA $ *<dHqK`?C  
A. used beer bottles were chosen as containers |a{~Im z{ j |td,82.  
8 -uRn38 2FT-}w0;  
B. the amount of caffeine in it was increased H I%#S&d \^s2W:c  
o'au Ca,N u:5IjOb2^  
C. it was blended with oils instead of water N"M w1 R4 \_>?V5(  
s?pd&_kOv3 @\$Keg=>:  
D. Cola nut extract was added to taste l %M0^d6M E0jUewG  
. ] D7 Il u*k*yWdr  
65. According to the passage, Coca-Cola was in the first place prepared especially for ________ [8$ K i$; J";=d4Sd  
N _^s;Qj Y eO-gY [b  
A. the young as a soft drink / @qnE P% MLeX;He  
DJ.n8 hne {g@A>  
B. a replacement of French Wine Coca Q - 7C' | jMq x   
A $ Tp0v`t 4@/z  
C. the relief of a hangover (]gd$BgD   %09*l%,;  
Ww) p& don Z fqQ {_  
D. a cure for the common headache Z\.   n 6 PC0HH  
MFzJ 8^.1R iP,v=pS6  
66. The last paragraph mainly tells___________ 8 ; \   _f66>a<  
J<;@RK,c_ )O -cw7 >  
A. the complaint against the lazy shop-assistant ($o r@lf s j$0zD:ppW  
/? * GJN# ? KF=W  
B. a real test of Coca-cola as a headache cure =IH~: D \& ^f6 {0  
f PBJ %S Z }M?|,N6  
C. the mediocre service of the drugstore H~:EPFi. ( 'DeW<Sa~  
  GTuxMg` LhZZc`|7t  
D. a happy accident that gave birth to Coca-Cola 7z;X @+O}s ZGzc"r(r:#  
W 7#dc89 } *f?S5 .  
Passage 2 8_Nyy/K# F qr9Imr0w<  
^ _gH}~l+U +#9xA6,AE  
Between 1833 and 1837, the publishers of a “penny press” proved that a low-priced paper, edited to interest ordinary people, could win what amounted to a mass circulation for the times and thereby attract an advertising volume that would make it independent. These were papers for the common citizen and were not tied to the interests of the business community, like the mercantile press, or dependent for financial support upon political party allegiance. It did not necessarily follow that all the penny papers would be superior in their handing of the news and opinion functions. But the door was open for some to make important journalistic advances. B wl@Muw   avV mY|I  
oJ ?,X^~_ InP[yFV-z  
The first offerings of a penny paper tended to be highly sensational; human interest stories overshadowed important news, and crime and sex stories were written in full detail. But as the penny paper attracted readers from various social and economic brackets, its sensationalism was modified. The ordinary reader came to want a better product, too. A popularized style of writing and presentation of news remained, but the penny paper became a respectable publication that offered significant information and editorial leadership. Once the first of the successful penny papers had shown the way, later ventures could enter the competition at the higher level of journalistic responsibility the pioneering papers had reached. i_(6} Y& rI *!"PL  
t0_ 4jV t NQg'|Pt(%  
This was the pattern of American newspapers in the years following the founding of the New York Sun in 1833. The sun, published by Benjamin Day, entered the lists against 11 other dailies. It was tiny in comparison; but it was bright and readable, and it preferred human interest features to important but dull political speech reports. It had a police reporter writing squibs of crime news in the style already proved successful by some other papers. And, most important, it sold for a penny, whereas its competitors sold for six cents. By 1837 the sun was printing 30,000 copies a day, which was more than the total of all 11 New York daily newspapers combined when the sun first appeared. In those same four years James Gordon Bennett brought out his New York Herald (1835), and a trio of New York printers who were imitating Day’s success founded the Philadelphia Public ledger (1836) and the Baltimore sun (1837).The four penny sheets all became famed newspapers. [Ob09#B%:5 R~!\ -6%_  
K7R!E,oP g '%);%y@v  
67. What does the first paragraph say about the “penny press?” i PdS>e e !2#\| NJk  
A. It was known for its in-depth news reporting 8*; > :g 8F\~Wz7K  
,xg-H6Xfa{ |1lf(\T_  
B. It had an involvement with some political parties.   _6 ! iv   F:M/z#:~  
*R}p 9;dpO *&h6*zP?  
C. It depended on the business community for survival. ped y WA> +< GrRYbC  
+@c$n ` >) 3_C98C lE  
D. It aimed at pleasing the general public. `6R ccEm %7iUlO}}V  
S=W^iA6>   N/(ofy  
68. In its early days, a penny paper often ___________-- F( "| SOhc Bl=nj.g  
W7;R   Q ; A x=]Q  
A. paid much attention to political issues Z +O< IF% ix(U:'{  
8 Q "1I7U l&\t f`~  
B. provided stories that hit the public taste   2G   <XA .mC~Ry+t  
x <OVt AUB x`Vy<h 33  
C. offered penetrating editorials on various issues e KLE^`2*@ (6e!09P&  
qq_Z kU@xg A>4l/  
D. covered important news with inaccuracy l g D % &"sX^6t  
( i ? 9/8I Q -M rH   
69. As the readership was growing more diverse, the penny paper____________ 3x   mP Y. .L~fFn s/  
f "NWv ! !&'# a  
A. improved its content R 3L IN-g( Lr K9F^c  
94] i|2qj* "ugX /r$_  
B. changed its writing style "DH>4 Q] d xWd9%,mDNR  
K   b- m   N5[_a/  
C. developed a more sensational style rusYNb1 J zfM<x,XdY  
l Ft&cy 2 Ti0 (VdY  
D. became a tool for political parries aGws? < 1$ N;e;4,_ n  
c Wo__E E s 4MNVT  
70. The underlined word “ventures” in Paragraph 2 can best be replaced by ___________ /F''4%S?E (3)C_Z  
, JTyOBB<I -fb1cv~N  
A. editors F[0~{*/|G jXc5fXO N  
0;* [} M]Z j4.Qvj >:4  
B. reporters $?V YHkX V`WI"HO+  
= ) N 6 R (2\li{$e  
C. newspapers G U h<AG*+ 0L3Bo3:k  
w _LkS/   =YS!soO  
D. companies i 1]} Q$ 9nP*N`  
nvc( < Ovw U)&H.^@r$  
71. What is true about the Philadelphia Public Ledger and the Baltimore sun.? f'qM?Gl ET [V!^\g\6  
- &)      9OrA 9r  
A. They turned out to be failures. v AOThj ) 9$B)hrJo  
77]lp m C   `XQx$I  
B. They were later purchased by James Gordon Bennett. Wrt5 eYy |U;w!0  
Tq6\oIBkV SL?%/$2g=O  
C. They were also founded by Benjamin Day. F& lSRL+v   *#X+Gngo  
S]4!u v ^y  e B9m4  
D. They became well-known newspapers in the U.S.   3 [O+wVv 7)ES!C   
" wxyY ^ " xEd#~`Jmr  
72. This passage is probably taken from a book on ___________ Lg-!,Y   .#:@cP~v  
8LY^   >.   -o! saX<  
A. the work ethics of the American media \ J-D @b; mvW^P`nB  
' <6DL tZl +oxqS&$L  
B. the techniques in news reporting J2$, '(! ( jk WBw.(  
O ]o H}#5b T1g:gfw@  
C. the history of sensationalism in American media 9vCCE[ 9 'tq\<y  
C>QWV[ F S[\cT:{OE  
D. the impact of mass media on American society :*YnH & m%BMd  
vd   ot .   ,=XS%g}l4  
Passage 3 dfh 1^G o   X:zyzEhS  
' LR|DS[Ne g:@Cg.q8  
Forget what Virginia Woolf said about what a writer needs—a room of one’s own. The writer she had in mind wasn’t at work on a novel in cyberspace, one with multiple hypertexts, animated graphics and downloads of trancey, chiming music. For that you also need graphic interfaces, RealPlayer and maybe even a computer laboratory at Brown University. That was where Mark Amerika—his legally adopted name; don’t ask him about his birth name—composed much of his novel Grammatron. But Grammatron isn’t just a story. It’s an online narrative (Grammatron.com) that uses the capabilities of cyberspace to tie the conventional story line into complicate knots. In the four year it took to produce—it was completed in 1997—each new advance in computer software became anther potential story device. “I became sort of dependent on the industry,” jokes Amerika, who is also the author of two novels printed on paper. “That’s unusual for a writer, because if you just write on paper the ‘technology’ is pretty stable.” M C y ~~DL A ydy=sj  
)4> 7X)j>  K2vPj|  
Nothing about Grammatron is stable. At its center, if there is one, is Abe Golam, the inventor of Nanoscript, a quasi—mystical computer code that some unmystical corporations are itching to acquire. For much of the story, Abe wanders through Prague-23, a virtual “city” in cyberspace whare visitors indulge in fantasy encounters and virtual sex, which can get fairly graphic, The reader wanders too, because most of Grammatron’s 1,000-puls text screens contain several passages in hypertext. To reach the next screen, just double-click. But each of those hypertexts is a trapdoor that can plunge you down a different pathway of the story. Choose one and you drop into a corporate-strategy memo. Choose another and there’s a XXX-rated sexual rant. The story you read is in some sense the story you make. ZH~ Wn#Wp t&p:vXF2  
;s - @m<   @eG#%6">  
Amerika teaches digital art at the University of Colorado, where his students develop works that straddle the lines between art, film and literature. “I tell them not to get caught up in mere plot,” he says. Some avant-garde writers—Julio Cortazar, Italo Calvino—have also experimented with novels that wander out of their author’s control. “But what makes the Net so exciting, “says Amerika, “is that you can add sound, randomly generated links, 3-D modeling, animaion.” That room of one’s own is turning into a fun house. -a V( 6i*n T^f&58{ 7  
un KgOvtj \a~;8):q=i  
73. The passage is mainly to tell __________________. CTxP3a 9] Cbf,X[u  
) $0> L5d: *I;Mp  
A. differences between conventional and modern novels oxdX2"WwU <)0LwkFtB  
V ^r L   p lz=G}Y  
B. how Mark Amerika composed his novel Grammatron Uv652D C :`!mCW`Q-  
L27WDm^ ) ua.6 ?W)  
C. common features of all modern electronic novels e m 0 hTxb ./5MsHfbxt  
yH>C 7M7 t +MZ2e^\F  
D. why Mark Amerika took on a new way of writing ei{tW3 H$ 7u&H*e7  
/ l h1sHgD =fu_ Jau}  
74. Why does the author ask the reader to forget what Virginia Woolf said about the necessities of a writer? w= a$]`   iaq:5||,  
8R : Glif 5 "Xo R)  
A. Modern writers can share rooms to do the writing.   V|[ NL4 mhHm#  
K ]G(u" '   n$\6}\k  
B. It is not necessarily that a writer writes inside a room. #f Hn M+ Lh5+fk~i~8  
nM fR< %r <P Z\qE*+y  
C. Modern writers will get nowhere without a word processor 4y?n62N8$ EWvid4QEi  
dUt4 ] ar h?O%XnD  
D.It is no longer sufficient for the writing in cyberspace. 'GX   x|. nh_xbo5L[  
3 \ ,t_6} j(2tbWg9-  
75.As an on-line narrative, Grammatron is anything but stable because it ______________. :]]x^wony~ rH9|JEz  
,aGIq . *v ;:K?7wfXn  
A. provides potentials for the story development eq( h {*rC l=.InSuLT  
D 4|Ajeo;1 JO;` Kz_$  
B. is one of the novels at j BBl{   d`rDEa  
=_ z o m:o$|7r  
C. can be downloaded free of charge <! Xu nXh Z_TbM^N  
T 4p}5ew' W71#NjM2Z  
D. boasts of the best among cyber stories 4K ~=l% l u=?P*Y/|W  
} F!Uu KR vzQmijr-  
76.By saying that he became sort of dependent on the industry, Mark Amerika meant that _________. 0#eb] c   :y)&kJpleP  
WQ [n K5# v,O&UrZ  
A. he could not help but set his Grammatron and thers in Industrial Revolution /KF@Un_O w 3_['[}  
%sOY: > 2LK*Cv[  
B. conventional writers had been increasingly challenged by high technology v+in:\D v `[R:L.H1  
'Gc{cNbXIA Xv;ZAa  
C. much of his Grammatron had proved to be cybernetic dependent jIe / X] w+ )GM  
6[ 3 K@ {`SGB;ho  
D. he couldn’t care less about new advance in computer software T% 6J VF D ?>Ci `XlLr  
Q R"+fzOL >5Rw~  
77. As the passage shows , Grammatron makes it possible for readers to _____________- iv+ a5   dXy"yQ>{  
EniV-Uj\D   bqLYF[#T  
A. adapt the story for a video version   W;7$ Dq: }z%/6`7)|  
uCB9;+ Hjw hQrsZv:Q  
B. “walk in” the story and interact with it :s_ .K'4?a H5rNLfw '  
KMy "DVqE &S`'o%B  
C. develop the plots within the author’s control [q!] Ds" _ L ~' N6  
t a de G YRX2^v ^[  
D. steal the show and become the main character V; S V0~& ;C@^wI  
!J;Bm,X n6 0hr)tYW,G  
78. Amerika told his students not to ____________ Q? 1.GuF   g{.@|;d <p  
{~O4*2zg;K 8c' -eT"  
A.immerse themselves only in creating the plot ui )mYR[8X s.Ic3ITd,  
  _GxC|d F 973U  
B. be captivated by the plot alone while reading jq ] 5Y^e "U~@o4u;  
w?u3 e + c35vjYQx0  
C. be lagged far behind in the plot development Wx YEu +_ >Qu^{o   
\8ZVI 98   J;9QDrl`  
D. let their plot get lost in the on-going story `- U ?{U}H [_B&7#3>7  
`,~' T [ Nv#, s_hG  
Passage 4 khR[8j. . im%3*bv-  
93 .\.&L\ YZ+g<HXB  
In 1993, a mall security camera captured a shaky image of two 10-year-old boys leading a much smaller boy out of a Liberpool, England, shopping center. The boys lured James Bulger, 2, away from his mother, who was shopping , and led him on a long walk across town. The excursion ended at a railroas track. There, inexplicably, the older boys tortured the toddler, kicking him, smearing paint on his face and pummeling him to death with bricks before heaving him on the track to be dismembered by a train. The boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, then went of to watch cartoons. b/oNQQM#Dk {:j!@w3  
$'>iNMtK{p 69w"$V k  
Today the boys are 18-year-ole men, and after spending eight years in juvenile facilities, they have been deemed fit for release--probably this spring. The dilemma now confronting the English justice system is how to reintegrate the notorious duo into a society that remains horrified by their crimes and skeptical about their rehabilitation. Last week Judge Elizabeth Butler-Sils decided the young men were in so much danger that they needed an unprecedented shield to protect them upon release. For ht e rest of their lives, Venable sands Thompson will have a right to anonymity. All English media outlets are banned from publishing any information about their whereabouts of the new identities the government will help them establish. Photos of the two or even details about their current looks are also prohibited. d dl]! ^IK ;'+cT.cmH  
Qh8pOUD0l} _ q1|\E%`h  
In the U.S, which is harder on juvenile criminals than England, such a ruling seems inconceivable. “We’re clearly the most punitive in the industrialized world,” says Laurence Steinberg, a Temple University professor who studies juvenile justice. Over the past decade, the trend in the U.S. has been to allow publication of ever more information about underage offenders. U.S. courts also give more weight to press freedom than English courts ,ewhich, for example, ban all video cameras. bYQ @ !   BFRSYwPr  
4 IO qSB| `)P_X4e]`  
But even for Britain, the order is extraordinary. The victim’s family is enraged, as are the ever eager British tabloids. “What right have they got to be given special protection as adults?” asks Bulger’s mother Denise Fergus. Newspaper editorials have insisted that citizens have a right to know if Venables of Thompson move in next door. Says conserbative Member of Parliament Humfrey Malins;”It almost leaves you with the feeling that the nastier the crime, the greater the chance for a completely new life.” h J%$ Te   `cRB!w=KHV  
QY DI-<.( s&hP^tKT  
79. What occurred as told at the beginning of the passage?   n X y"   JQ4>S<ttJ  
Z{%W! > 0 P.P>@@+d  
A. 2 ten-year-olds killed James by accident in play gL| 9hvHr[ BGj Ta.&  
32 j #kJW nA j2k  
B. James Bulger was killed by his two brothers. 9.~ _swkv D'+8]B  
1 Cz}| # U 1W7BN~p14  
C. Two mischievous boys forged a train accident. .V mRk 9Z 00TdX|V`  
9 zB t a |`/uS;O  
D. A little kid was murdered by two older boys. I&1.}{G >F YtQWArX,  
nhm# _3!6A I'YotV7  
80.According to the passage, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson________________ M g^A,8lrm dkC/ ?R  
yRhD<* znRhQ+8;!  
A. hav been treated as juvenile delinquents &MrG ,/   M*uG`Eo&  
^zG!Z : E 1i2w<VG1  
B. have been held in protective custody for their murder game   yaI j Xv K@hUif|([  
TPZ^hL>ao ,:{+ H  
C. were caught while watching cartoons eight years ago ,; =is.h 9 %W+ F e,]  
M! PK3 &o.SmkJI  
D. have already served out their 10 years in prison Y$   ZDJNz m8' 1@1d|  
"[ >ql1t{b h#nQd=H<g#  
81.The British justice system is afraid that the two young men would_______________ C 9` x" $ E]Q)pZ{Jb  
-s:N F;" l"8YIsir  
A. hardly get accustomed to a horrifying general public c vnRd.& jyr#e  
u|& a!tOf2 ] ={Hq9d@  
B. be doomed to become social outcasts after release   TSP#.QY D$;/ l}s?  
N1z: 9=( I }fZBP]<I(  
C. still remain dangerous and destructive if set free kT{d pGU9 -%|I  
B3& `/{ u l<?wB|1'  
D. be inclined to commit a recurring crime   =( >p v, *Yw6UCO  
<>6DPHg~ wxxC&!  
82. According to the British courts, after their return to society, the two adults will be __________ i6D 66 E @dNbL}qQ  
InR/g@n+D1 (Bz(KyD[  
A. banned from any kind of press interview YA%0{Tdxz 3}+ \&[  
Z`Sbq{Kx   rB]/N,R   
B. kept under constant surveillance by police Z1Z jQt#~+ (n\ cs$  
e.j b FSnA 4y]*"(sQ;  
C. shielded from being identified an killers @j|=M 7 B =_Rd0,  
] ;8S<KiS~ }{J8U2])k  
D. ordered to report to police their whereabouts 5VR =D\ j l<+k[@Vox  
@p kQ2OM 2 Hw? J1#1IE  
83. From the passage we can infer that a US counterpart of Venables or Thompson would________. #) PAvBJ;m ??PpHB J')  
B Ms ?+   H'2 =yhtVh  
A. have no freedom to go wherever he wants ,,HoD ~]rd |wx1 [xZ  
Bx 9v2x. A lz#zBGb  
B. serve a life imprisonment for the crime -"uOh, G} syF/jWM5  
h h7unHt- G`jhzG  
C. be forbidden to join many of his relatives </ ]a`h ] m\yO/9{h1  
g$ h` .Fk, k>"I!&#g  
D. no doubt receive massive publicity in the U>S> ,s`4 k ?y DVd /OU  
7_ s 7 );  ~$B ,K]  
84. As regards the mentioned justice ruling, the last paragraph mainly tells that ________________ (lg~}Jw q P1<;:!8'  
= z! /: M M%/D:0  
A. it is controversial as it goes without precedent <f#p   S[A 6C:Lq%}  
3b[. s9Q 0Ko,S(M_  
B. the British media are sure to do the contrary .iYp 9?t   l-&f81W  
- ImV Xy]? i!NGX  
C. Bulger’s family would enter all appeal against it r vuasr~   L@wnzt  
KW! +W s F&0rI8Nr  
D. Conservatives obviously conflict with Liberals pS2u&Y"u | o9/P/PZ\X  
D$ +g 5u) Rd2[ xk  
Passage 5 45k.U$<|   wZ^/-  
WIabQ_fX 2rxdRg'YLQ  
Can the Internet help patients jump the line at the doctor’s office? The silicon Valley Employers Forum, a sophisticated group of technology companies, is launching a pilot program to test online “virtual visits “ between doctors at three big local medical groups and about 6,000 employees and their families. The six employers taking part in the Silicon Valley initiative, including heavy hitters such as Oracle and Cisco Systems, hope that online visits will mean employees won’t have to skip work to tend to minor ailments of to follow up on chronic conditions. “With our long commutes and traffic, driving 40 miles to your doctor in your hometown can be a big chunk of time, “ says Cindy Conway, benefits director at Cadence Design Systems, one of the participating companies. 51tZ:-1 ! m#Cp.|>kP4  
"L! U7|9 J &>-Cz%IV  
Doctors aren’t clamoring to chat with patients online for free; they spend enough unpaid time ton the phone. Only 1 in 5 has ever E-mailed a patient, and just 9 percent are interested in doing so, according to the research firm Cyber Dialogue.”We are not stupid,” says Stirling Somers, executive of the Silicon Valley employers group. “Doctors getting jpaid is a critical piece in getting this to work.” In the pilot program, physicians will get $20 per online consultation, about what they get for a simple office visit. z;MP p#Y   $jHL8r\e7  
ym+Ezb# o  m ]\L1&  
Doctors also fear they’ll be swamped by rambling E-mails that tell everything but what’s needed to make a diagnosis. So the new program will use technology supplied by Healinx, an Alameda, Calif.-based start-up. Healinx’s “Smart Symptom Wizard” questions patients and turns answers into a succinct message. The company has online dialogues for 60 common conditions. The doctor can then diagnose the problem and outline a treatment plan, which could include E-mailing a prescription or a face-to-face visit. GS7'p TsYH }~7>S5  
fz A Fn$[ m2;%|QE(  
Can E-mail replace the doctor’s office? Many conditions, such as persistent cough, require a stethoscope to discover what’s wrong—and to avoid a malpractice suit. Even Larry Bonham, head of one of the doctor’s groups in the pilot, believes the virtual doctor’s visits offer a “very narrow” sliver of service between hone calls to an advice nurse an a visit to the clinic. @|5B}%!   z, OMR`W  
IMB j I#\ Y , P-@ (  
The pilot program, set to end in nine months, also hopes to determine whether online visits will boost worker productivity enough to offset the cost of the service. So far, the Internet’s record in the health field has been underwhelming. The experiment is “a huge roll of the dice for Healinx,” notes Michael Barrett, an analyst at Internet consulting firm Forester Research. If the “Web visits” succeed, expect some HMOs(Health Maintenance Organizations) to pay for online visits. If doctors, employers, and patients aren’t satisfied, figure on one more E-health start-up to stand down. S^;;\0#NK "-a>Uj")%  
#oR`_Dm)P   e"v Eh  
85. the Silicon Valley employers promote the E-health program for the purpose of ___________ W#E (?M [r m'pihFR:f  
{}r nn$HQe 4ngiad6bR  
A. rewarding their employees \ #WWJh"W   g$A1*<+  
w%plK6 :6   ^3e l-dZ  
B. gratifying the local hospitals (z.n9 lkfi o*<(,I%  
PTLl La85< 69_c,(M0  
C. boosting worker productivity U#] J5 'i C. Sb4i*  
9<&M~(dwT4 @gZ%>qe  
D. testing a sophisticated technology Hf gTc h =/zQJzN  
F8d r- "G _8bqk\m+  
86. What can be learned about the on-line doctors’ visits? 'I + S5![< 5f1yszd  
/*{ 'p !? rIu>JyC"p  
A. They are a quite promising business. R9 Ab .t   Ar|_UV>Zf  
bGL} n Po }b1P!xb!A  
B. They are funded by the local government. ( lS[ a Lg'z%pi  
V0O qq0\ d~.#KS  
C. They are welcomed by all the patients -dO8 Uis$ RNm/&F1C$  
=v? P7; T `/0FXb 8h  
D. They are very much under experimentation. C]8w[)d[`; C3 D1rS/I  
gBh X=2% k&9 b&-=fk  
87.Of he following people, who are not involved in the program? ;YY<KuT   grv 3aa@  
>I5 Wf / $ $[IuEdc /  
A. Cisco System employees ()K axcs?+ +|^rz#X  
x$` lQ% d~qDQ6!  
B. advice nurses in the clinic + em! T O 42Z2Mjtk  
y[.lfW ?)   N8:vn0ww  
C. doctors at three local hospitals K ;" o K KpSHf9!&[  
[<U=)! Swg [7$.)}Q-  
D. Oracle executives } % ?or_f/ ~]}7|VN.}  
.wq j   mhh8<BI  
88. According to Paragraph 2, doctors are___________ ^&86V BP uQrD}%GI  
Mx6 y k, vX&Nh"0H&  
A. reluctant to serve online for nothing F7jk l 4 i :@00)V{,  
HxW /t7Z( K o,O!T.  
B. not interested in Web consultation eP :\ \; ; ]5B5J  
& E 0^J z 1H%LUA  
C. too tired to talk to the patients online P ( I%9   vWwp'q  
X aE*$:   g;vG6!;E\  
D. content with $20 paid per Web visit 'lp Cw H   C}#JvNyQ  
l?_Fy_ fBt &Zd! |u  
89. “Smart Symptom Wizard” is capable of ___________ AZ ik:C"Q 6!O~:\`DJ  
BUsx gs"), `9%@{Ryo  
A. making diagnoses   -~(d _   1%t9ic  
dP _bFUzg mZ'`XAS~;  
B. producing prescriptions @x ! + _z dFK/  
O x `K 7$) cd#@"&r  
C. profiling patients’ illness B6 Ajc fy #1+1q{=Z<  
+kE~OdZ G   *#w+*ywVZH  
D. offering a treatment plan kQd|qZ=: w Ak^g#^c*  
Z'!O Rn#M   #zyEN+  
90.It can be inferred from the passage that the future of online visits will mostly depend on whether___________ 3< 6h~ek ) FTsvPLIv"  
FA M:; F30 JT#jJ/^  
A. the employers would remain confident in them T=sAy /1oR p~6/  
:X-S&S X0 fKb8)PDP  
B. they could effectively replace office visits gCG #? f Qk *`9  
~S m6 {L ^giseWR(  
C. HMOs would cover the cost of the service z ^ & $6c_ {}y"JbXMj  
"cBqZzkk9j by (xv0v;  
D. new technologies would be available to improve the E-health project GU @# \3   |>Qj]  
PAPER TWO :p]e 4| R l03{ ezJk[  
R@ tEC)Z n Qo+I98LX[  
PARTV TRANSLATION (25minutes, 10 points) 4Nt4(3K f ]yiwdQ  
.n YlYY'   e3oHe1"hP  
Directions:Put the following passage into English. .Write your English version in the proper space on your Answer SheetⅡ "qR, V9\   % \IB_M  
D^ .   c: 2+ m%f"  
伟大艺术的美学鉴赏和伟大科学观念的理解都需要智慧。但是, 随后的感受升华和情感又是分不开的。没有情感的因素,我们的智慧很难开创新的道路; 没有智慧,情感也无法达到完美的成果。艺术和科学事实上是一个硬币的两面。它们源于人类活动的最高尚的部分,都追求着深刻性、普遍性、永恒性和富有意义、 $r r@3H+ 50q(8F-N  
0 \ (:y^X m-Z<zEQ  
PART VI WAITING(35minutes,15 points) kVKAG \F   LVP2jTz  
zN[& iKf MH7 n@.t  
Directions: Write an essay of at least 150 words on the topic given below. Use the proper space on your Answer SheetⅡ - m R gB"8 #q#C_"  
s*yl& El/ &c>%E%!"  
TOPIC   ~:T@SrVI w+($= n~  
P o@;P R= 0h=NbLr|S-  
With her entry into the WTO, China is being plunged into an international competition for talents, and in particular, for higher-level talents. To face this new challenge, China must do something, among other things, to reform her graduate (postgraduate) education system. State your opinion about this reform, and give the solid supporting details to your viewpoint.
显示用户信息 
7楼  发表于: 2007-11-19   
中国科学院研究生2006院博士研究生入学考试 ~P! \;S  
s R/z)U_  
中国科学院研究生2006院博士研究生入学考试 7 lB Axqr2 +;,65j+n   
-U/c \-~fU `st3iTLZY  
=y yp?WmC8 28 Q\{Z.  
SAMPLE TEST 8W#heW\- ] ^Mvgm3hg  
THE CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES }t %!9hr5D cvOCBg38BH  
ENGLISH ENTRANCE EXAMINATION   OP x` u , L_u X  
FOR g;8jK 8 Kh nIZ;N!r=i  
DOCTORAL CANDIDATES 3M Y( <TGX '`+8'3K~E  
EVV P ]ND ~aBf.  
PAPER ONE elG <k%/2 ~}"5KX\=#  
%_{tzXi m   wF=?EK(;P{  
PART I VOCABULARY (15 minutes, 10 points, 0.5 point each) -Gw$ #! f?JP=j  
Directions: Choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. &   M~`:R 5nV IC3N+1  
rfgI$eu   &c[ISc>N{  
1. Ten years ago, a house with a decent bathroom was a __________ symbol among university professors. Xy@7y[s ] 7m$EZTw?  
A. post         B. status {2 + L @ iWGn4p'  
C. position       D. place aS pWsT   ~Vt?'v20@  
2. It would be far better if collectors could be persuaded to spend their time and money in support of ___________ archaeological research. +q)5dYRzV 3QI.|;X  
A. legible   B. legitimate 5i-R glo ' nIKkQ" N  
C. legislative   D. illicit y8 KX <2s1 =O%Hf bx  
3. We seek a society that has at its __________ a respect for the dignity and worth of the individual. oh KCdT ~ :X*$U ~aQ  
A. end   B. hand PI~1GyJr@; eC{St0  
C. core   D. best (__yh^h:m ?ESsma6  
4. A variety of problems have greatly _________the country's normal educational development. ] )"u +   b9;w3Ba  
A. impeded   B. imparted c=[O   `/f C;3  
C. implored   D. implemented m rJQ #   prEI9/d"  
5. A good education is an asset you can ________for the rest of your life. L n. ZVMZ; Y{d-k1?s5  
A. spell out   B. call upon G \;}w   tdsfCvF= a  
C. fall over   D. resort to P0i V< T4^ sTS/ ]"l  
6. Oil can change a society more ____________ than anyone could ever have imagined. }K(o9$V ^! }Y"vUl_I2  
A. grossly   B. severely ; U`X 6d 8kLHQ0pmu  
C. rapidly   D. drastically CkRX>)= py !$NQF/Ol  
7. Beneath its myriad rules, the fundamental purpose of ___________ is to make the world a pleasanter place to live in, and you a more pleasant person to live with. G_A y   0Ke2%+yqJ  
A. elitism     B. eloquence   1Xyp/X2rI S3UJ)@ E  
C. eminence       D. etiquette t]^_ l$   4L bll%[9  
8. The New Testament was not only written in the Greek language, but ideas derived from Greek philosophy were _____________ in many parts of it. ~F# A Pt '=0l{hv@  
A. altered   B. criticized yty` 2$O   esM r@Oc  
C. incorporated   D. translated hXX 1<~ k   s:K'I7_#@  
9. Nobody will ever know the agony I go __________ waiting for him to come home. i < u9:W s<+;5, Q|  
A. over   B. with +p?hGo F = *C);IdhK%y  
C. down   D. through +5*vABvCu   ~ o=kW2Y  
10. While a country's economy is becoming the most promising in the world, its people should be more ____________ about their quality of life. UE)fU T S   Zi?:< H}  
A. discriminating   B. distributing 01 n sd Z- <naxpflom0  
C. disagreeing   D. disclosing @ ,Ylm X} R=<%!  
11. Cheated by two boys whom he had trust on, Joseph promised to ____________ them. N<"`ShCNM   =9h!K:,k  
A. find fault with   B. make the most of H`? * bG ~/qBOeU3  
C. look down upon   D. get even with Q^|6J# o[9 F9"Xu-g  
12. The Minister's _________ answer let to an outcry from the Opposition. ,,}s   K   ^T#jBqe  
A. impressive   B. evasive `>\ 4 "`I S17;;w0  
C. intensive   D. exhaustive ;{]8>`im&4 0(>3L:  
13. In proportion as the ____________ between classes within the nation disappears the hostility of one nation to another will come to an end. K`~BL= KI X~cdM1z?  
A. intolerance     B. pessimism L)1C'8 ). @+0dgkJ  
C. injustice   D. antagonism 32s5-.{c/f b!e0pFS;  
14. Everyone does their own thing, to the point where a fifth-grade teacher can't __________ on a fourth-grade teacher having taught certain things. N P$e-" 1 zwU1(?]I{  
A. count   B. insist =d}gv6v 2S W~PMR/^i  
C. fall   D. dwell G(:s-x ig6 rog1  
15. When the fire broke out in the building, the people lost their __________ and ran into the elevator.   d&NC F x qyAnq%B}  
A. hearts   B. tempers /_ $~rW   5KfrkZ  
C. heads   D. senses _=o1?R   peHjKK  
16. Consumers deprived of the information and advice they needed were quite simply ___________ every cheat in the marketplace. B*- ToXQQr FQ> kTm`d  
A. at the mercy of   B. in lieu of xP8iz?6"V =~"X/ >'  
C. by courtesy of   D. for the price of * G g 1h@& SdN&%(ZE  
17. In fact the purchasing power of a single person's pension in Hong Kong was only 70 per cent of the value of the _________ Singapore pension. $w|o@ Ml)   @q`T#vd  
A. equivalent   B. similar )z]q "s5 Y oaZdvu@y  
C. consistent   D. identical r[. zLXgK E[7E%^:Mg  
18. He became aware that he had lost his audience since he had not been able to talk ____________. p?dGZ2` [I WNZYs  
A. honestly   B. graciously   u ^ #4G7 < )&O6d .  
C. coherently   D. flexibly &; 6| nl9; c%WO#}r|  
19. The novel, which is a work of art, exists not by its _____________ life, but by its immeasurable difference from life. j=x t nIq ?68~g<d,  
A. significance in   B. imagination at %# Wg^l ' MV??S{^4  
C. resemblance to   D. predominance over   & J 6o$i SQhVdYU1'  
20. She was artful and could always ____________ her parents in the end. c tc ` ^#q yj@k0TWT$  
A. shout down   B. get round   X>6 ~ {3   S>>wf:\ c  
C. comply with   D. pass over YL 9 t3 ] }O>4XFj  
0'\Fr G   VdGVEDwz  
PART II CLOZE TEST (15 minutes, 15 points) i " sYf9, PO 8Z2"WI  
3 |83 Jnh   {%CW!Rc  
Directions: For each blank in the following passage, choose the best answer from the four choices given in the opposite column. Mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. XJx s4a1[t x=IZ0@p  
Qn P ? ;   gS'7:UH,  
We are entering a period in which rapid population growth, the presence of deadly weapons, and dwindling resources will bring international tensions to dangerous levels for an extended period. Indeed, 21 seems no reason for these levels of danger to subside unless population equilibrium is 22 and some rough measure of fairness reached in the distribution of wealth among nations. 23 of adequate magnitude imply a willingness to redistribute income internationally on a more generous 24 than the advanced nations have evidenced within their own domains. The required increases in 25 in the backward regions would necessitate gigantic applications of energy merely to extract the 26 resources. bF Y )o Z Yku6\/^  
It is uncertain whether the requisite energy-producing technology exists, and more serious, 27 that its application would bring us to the threshold of an irreversible change in climate   28 a consequence of the enormous addition of manmade heat to the atmosphere. It is this 29 problem that poses the most demanding and difficult of the challenges. The existing 30 of industrial growth, with no allowance for increased industrialization to repair global poverty, hold 31   the risk of entering the danger zone of climatic change in as 32 as three or four generations. If the trajectory is in fact pursued, industrial growth will   33   have to come to an immediate halt, for another generation or two along that 34 would literally consume human, perhaps all life. The terrifying outcome can be postponed only to the extent that the wastage of heat can be reduced, 35 that technologies that do not add to the atmospheric heat burden-for example, the use of solar energy-can be utilized. (1996) _ @~kYz   Vfga%K%l F  
,md7.z]U ~ 934j5D  
21. A. one B. it   C. this   D. there   m KF HT P3]K'*Dyd  
22. A. achieved B. succeeded   C. produced D. executed >- >xhlL* #HH[D ;z  
23. A. Transfers   B. Transactions C. Transports   D. Transcripts }Ka.bZ S ,(a~vqNQW3  
24. A. extent   B. scale   C. measure   D. range 19- yM`O Nf<f}`  
25. A. outgrowth B. outcrop   C. output   D. outcome bvu<I XX=2 mI!iSVqr  
26. A. needed B. needy   C. needless   D. needing 'W2$ wN+P Z5n-3h!+ED  
27. A. possible   B. possibly   C. probable   D. probably )7%] <2V% CuH4~6  
28. A. in   B. with   C. as   D. to o-<_X&"a|5 AWi>(wk<  
29. A. least B. late   C. latest   D. last )MW}!U 9G iN. GC^l  
30. A. race B. pace   C. face   D. lace A;`U{ 7IST tM;cvc`/  
31. A. on   B. up   C. down   D. out K 2   K6   xGQP*nZ  
32. A. less B. fewer   C. many   D. little "?&b h@P& k}F7Jw#.  
33. A. rather B. hardly   C. then   D. yet XJ/ k B8 f|M^UHt8*  
34. A. line B. move   C. drive   D. track 5G L+ j%7 g- wE(L  
35. A. if   B. or   C. while   D. as /l%q q*Ew C4$P#DZT^  
[IA==B7   Ahl&2f\  
PART III   READING COMPREHENSION yP]W \W'   O|+ZEBP  
Section A (60 minutes, 30 points) wh+ibH}@! =oIt.`rf  
Directions: Below each of the following passages you will find some questions or incomplete statements. Each question or statement is followed by four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Read each passage carefully, and then select the choice that best answers the question or completes the statement. Mark the letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. 4\es@2 q ; M0`8MD  
FuBRb ( I f.uuXK  
Passage 1 (@ s K E u&1M(~Ub=  
The writing of a historical synthesis involves integrating the materials available to the historian into a comprehensible whole. The problem in writing a historical synthesis is how to find a pattern in, or impose a pattern upon, the detailed information that has already been used to explain the causes for a historical event. ,DLNI0u V   fMFkA(Of^  
A synthesis seeks common elements in which to interpret the contingent parts of a historical event. The initial step, therefore, in writing a historical synthesis, is to put the event to be synthesized in a proper historical perspective, so that the common elements or strands making up the event can be determined. This can be accomplished by analyzing the historical event as part of a general trend or continuum in history. The common elements that are familiar to the event will become the ideological framework in which the historian seeks to synthesize. This is not to say that any factor will not have a greater relative value in the historian's handling of the interrelated when viewed in a broad historical perspective. A79SAh eX# TK18U*z7J  
The historian, in synthesizing, must determine the extent to which the existing hypotheses have similar trends. A general trend line, once established, will enable these similar trends to be correlated and paralleled within the conceptual framework of a common base. A synthesis further seeks to determine, from existing hypotheses, why an outcome took the direction it did; thus, it necessitates reconstructing the spirit of the times in order to assimilate the political, social, psychological, etc., factors within a common base. h ,G$e|[ ? Be]z @E1x  
As such, the synthesis becomes the logical construct in interpreting the common ground between an original explanation of an outcome (thesis) and the reinterpretation of the outcome along different lines (antithesis). Therefore, the synthesis necessitates the integration of the materials available into a comprehensible whole which will in turn provide a new historical perspective for the event being synthesized.   G>"[ nXmcu $(;Ts)P  
akoILX~u ~EY)c~ H  
36. The author would mostly be concerned with _____________. z$A5p4=B'^ 7Z`4Kdh .  
A. finding the most important cause for a particular historical event ?*g]27f11 [KYq01cj  
B. determining when hypotheses need to be reinterpreted azSS:= A   8tR6.09'  
C. imposing a pattern upon varying interpretations for the causes of a particular historical event z R:S.e<   rhQ+ylt8I  
D. attributing many conditions that together lead to a particular historical event or to single motive 8Og9P 1jVh MYvz%7  
{3?g8e] zr -e(<Jd_=  
37. The most important preliminary step in writing a historical synthesis would be ____________. * `\ >J. jd ;)8^7K  
A. to accumulate sufficient reference material to explain an event U 7Ps2~x 3 l<uI-RX "  
B. analyzing the historical event to determine if a "single theme theory" apples to the event o rEo$e< >^`#%$+  
C. determining the common strands that make up a historical event )@Ly{cw   gizY4~ j  
D. interpreting historical factors to determine if one factor will have relatively greater value RTS g=     yN{**?b  
#;H +Kb5O   [dP<A ?s  
38. The best definition for the term "historical synthesis" would be ______________. ZY=x$ ( $f ;kZD>G8  
A. combining elements of different material into a unified whole 5|"; L&` ";(m,i f-  
B. a tentative theory set forth as an explanation for an event h]&8hl_'m   nbP}a?XC  
C. the direct opposite of the original interpretation of an event b&. o9P V" &$CyT6mb^  
D. interpreting historical material to prove that history repeats itself 1 ^T O TY vb0Ca+}}  
f E8/t x]( ufR>*)_+  
39. A historian seeks to reconstruct the "spirit" of a time period because ____________. |9$K' + ' U:$z lfV  
A. the events in history are more important than the people who make history F 0 q #.   cwaR#-#  
B. existing hypotheses are adequate in explaining historical events r~N0 P|Tq J+ :3== ,  
C. this is the best method to determine the single most important cause for a particular action t Q=M=BP Z @(a~ p  
D. varying factors can be assimilated within a common base N,6( |,m E{JTy{z-  
_ 7 Z|= ) |n,O!29  
40. Which of the following statements would the author consider false? 1D159 NLB @]X!#&2>  
A. One factor in a historical synthesis will not have a greater value than other factors. frV *   + h6LjReNo  
B. It is possible to analyze common unifying points in hypotheses. Rr h?0qW s AM!P?${a  
C. Historical events should be studied as part of a continuum in history. 1 |/P[!u   7eM6 B#rI  
D. A synthesis seeks to determine why an outcome took the direction it did. ]r++YI g!j fy>3#`T-  
8/ lv,m# Z%.L d2Q{  
Passage 2 Gd^K,3:. T ?P7QAolrr  
When you call the police, the police dispatcher has to locate the car nearest you that is free to respond. This means the dispatcher has to keep track of the status and location of every police car-not an easy task for a large department. llG^+*Y8t ',FVT4OMw  
Another problem, which arises when cars are assigned to regular patrols, is that the patrols may be too regular. If criminals find out that police cars will pass a particular location at regular intervals, they simply plan their crimes for times when no patrol is expected. Therefore, patrol cars should pass by any particular location at random times; the fact that a car just passed should be no guarantee that another one is not just around the corner. Yet simply ordering the officers to patrol at random would lead to chaos. #XS s.i { ;+f(1=x  
A computer dispatching system can solve both these problems. The computer has no trouble keeping track of the status and location of each car. With this information, it can determine instantly which car should respond to an incoming call. And with the aid of a pseudorandom number generator, the computer can assign routine patrols so that criminals can't predict just when a police car will pass through a particular area. i   q   s u8A,f}D 3  
(Before computers, police sometimes used roulette wheels and similar devices to make random assignments.) f5 ) 4 H .ejC#vB{KM  
Computers also can relieve police officers from constantly having to report their status. The police car would contain a special automatic radio transmitter and receiver. The officer would set a dial on this unit indicating the current status of the car-patrolling, directing traffic, chasing a speeder, answering a call, out to lunch, and so on. When necessary, the computer at headquarters could poll the car for its status. The voice radio channels would not be clogged with cars constantly reporting what they were doing. A computer in the car automatically could determine the location of the car, perhaps using the LORAN method. The location of the car also would be sent automatically to the headquarters computer. "6.J pUf fF/;BSq'  
@ 8[ 3 ] < ?=iy 6q  
41. The best title for this passage should be ___________. t\[aU\ 4-7 C\C*@9=&x  
A. Computers and Crimes Z1V%pg>]* 4yxf/X)  
B. Patrol Car Dispatching eK }AVz}k 65 &+Fv  
C. The Powerful Computers f< A @D"m/ #CeWk$)m  
D. The Police with Modern Equipment ~ W S;)Q0| u?g;fh6  
  Lb # e K nn<q=';G  
42. A police dispatcher is NOT supposed to _____________.   FI,>v`   y>UQm|o<W  
A. locate every patrol car o XA3 i `a7b,d  
B. guarantee cars on regular patrols g?V>+oM x   8.`5"9Vh  
C. keep in touch with each police car /   d S! P)=$0kR3  
D. find out which car should respond to the incoming call 8>.l4:`   bb/A}< zD  
] =v _u9; k lr1"q7  
43. If the patrols are too regular, _____________. n`" ; ctQT y3'K+?4  
A. the dispatchers will be bored with it &wRdUIc   BXl Y V"  
B. the officers may become careless d =%:rLm$ OOus*ooo2  
C. the criminals may take advantage of it Eq-fR~ < 9 n)]u|qq  
D. the streets will be in a state of chaos %]%.{ W\j3 x2]chN  
f !t2a// .YS48 c  
44. The computer dispatching system is particularly good at ______________. >T {9-_#P ^j_t{h)W(0  
A. assigning cars to regular patrols l og{j F vN)l3  
B. responding to the incoming calls     {:40J f    #|l#  
C. ordering officers to report their location r/=v;4.W   6O'B:5~[2  
D. making routine patrols unpredictable   x3 >K{ LCpS}L;  
&W fs6g   5m6I:s`pK  
45. According to the account in the last paragraph, how can a patrol car be located without computers? o%X_V!B{ V /$ueLa  
A. Police officers report their status constantly. zkn K2e,$ +JFE\>O  
B. The headquarters poll the car for its status. H t l6Mr*{ `~W?a  
C. A radio transmitter and receiver is installed in a car. " 5%G [M B yD&UH_ 1g  
D. A dial in the car indicates its current status. hJ.XG< ?]$ ,?!4P+ob  
* ntq ;]   uchz<z1  
Passage 3   gg'lb{oG Ba|76OBRJ  
A child who has once been pleased with a tale likes, as a rule, to have it retold in identically the same words, but this should not lead parents to treat printed fairy stories as sacred texts. It is always much better to tell a story than read it out of a book, and, if a parent can produce what, in the actual circumstances of the time and the individual child, is an improvement on the printed text, so much the better. ] M " {=z   71yf+xL  
A charge made against fairy tales is that they harm the child by frightening him or arousing his sadistic impulse. To prove the latter, one would have to show in a controlled experiment that children who have read fairy stories were more often guilty of cruelty than those who had not. Aggressive, destructive, sadistic impulses every child has and, on the whole, their symbolic verbal discharge seem to be rather a safety valve than an incitement to overt action. As to fears, there are, I think, well-authenticated cases of children being dangerously terrified by some fairy story. Often, however, this arises from the child having heard the story once. Familiarity with the story by repetition turns the pain of fear into the pleasure of a fear faced and mastered.                 Y Z: YY cr u#34mg..  
There are also people who object to fairy stories on the grounds that they are not objectively true, that giants, witches, two-headed dragons, magic carpets, etc., do not exist; and that, instead of indulging his fantasies in fairy tales, the child should be taught how to adapt to reality by studying history and mechanics. I find such people, I must confess, so unsympathetic and peculiar that I do not know how to argue with them. If their case were sound, the world should be full of madmen attempting to fly from New York to Philadelphia on a broomstick or covering a telephone with kisses in the belief that it was their enchanted girl-friend. ~ 6 1?nu   `OyYo^+D|.  
No fairy story ever claimed to be a description of the external world and no sane child has ever believed that it was. %lb SV}V)   Q(YQ$ i"S  
    * I`Sc|A   'St\$X  
46. According to the author, the best way to retell a story to a child is to ______________. VmF?8Vi 4 1:iT#~n  
A. tell it in a creative way       ^ -w: D   _NJq%-,'  
B. take from it what the child likes i^ G/)bq !"x&tF  
C. add to it whatever at hand sT[) r] `T Uu3<S  
D. read it out of the story book. X, <&# l l+8G6?@]>  
    C ? #if;c   KF`@o@,  
47. In the second paragraph, which statement best expresses the author's attitude towards fairy stories? ! W$ u~z "@)9$-g  
A. He sees in them the worst of human nature. #S t D]d Bl)DuCV  
B. He dislikes everything about them. 2} ' q u)   .q7o7J%  
C. He regards them as more of a benefit than harms. .b B_f7TH. CR<Nau>  
D. He is expectant of the experimental results. G   s7 mO L2 tSKw~  
    f g8V6F S d$`NApr  
48. According to the author, fairy stories are most likely to ____________. 3LG} x/ l   RZ&T\;m,7  
A. make children aggressive the whole life U# - &%|b$ n$T'gX#5  
B. incite destructiveness in children J,; ; `sf xT$9M"  
C. function as a safety valve for children L - b~#   wtw  
D. add children's enjoyment of cruelty to others KA   giY 4 =9JKg4I6  
    V3 yO_Iqa )9 QeVf  
49. If the child has heard some horror story for more than once, according to the author, he would probably be ______________.       ?T Mo6S U   sC.aT(meJ  
A. scared to death   B po~x2p ,2YkQ/ >  
B. taking it and even enjoying it L   n w+o} |H'4];>R?  
C. suffering more the pain of fear   +(PtOo. wd`lN,WiW  
D. dangerously terrified _qE2r^o"B 3o=K?eOdg  
        %6Hn1'7+v   Yw\PmRL"p  
50. The author's mention of broomsticks and telephones is meant to emphasize that ___________. |7|mnOBdDf ,1+)qv#|i  
A. old fairy stories keep updating themselves to cater for modern needs Ig N,]y 2%Y]M%P  
B. fairy stories have claimed many lives of victims az E>uEsE =i/7&gC  
C. fairy stories have thrown our world into chaos G1 | Tu" 5xawa:K  
D. fairy stories are after all fairy stories \ 7og&j-h >wpC45n)9N  
L ` Qi u @ j[fVF3v  
Passage 4 7 51\ K` L Q~A25Jf .  
There has been a lot of hand-wringing over the death of Elizabeth Steinberg. Without blaming anyone in particular, neighbors, friends, social workers, the police and newspaper editors have struggled to define the community's responsibility to Elizabeth and to other battered children. As the collective soul-searching continues, there is a pervading sense that the system failed her. cuSX v) aAr gKM f  
The fact is, in New York State the system couldn't have saved her. It is almost impossible to protect a child from violent parents, especially if they are white, middle-class, well-educated and represented by counsel. 7J')o^MG   $=iV )-  
Why does the state permit violence against children? There are a number of reasons. First, parental privilege is a rationalization. In the past, the law was giving its approval to the biblical injunction against sparing the rod. T?%   F   9o]h}Xc  
Second, while everyone agrees that the state must act to remove children from their homes when there is danger of serious physical or emotional harm, many child advocates believe that state intervention in the absence of serious injury is more harmful than helpful. 8{h: z 9]J a;Q.R  
Third, courts and legislatures tread carefully when their actions intrude or threaten to intrude on a relationship protected by the Constitution. In 1923, the Supreme Court recognized the "liberty of parent and guardian to direct the upbringing and education of children under their control." More recently, in 1977, it upheld the teacher's privilege to use corporal punishment against schoolchildren. Read together, these decisions give the constitutional imprimatur to parental use of physical force. IJ=~ hBI Fx.hti  
Under the best conditions, small children depend utterly on their parents for survival. Under the worst, their dependency dooms them. While it is questionable whether anyone or anything could have saved Elizabeth Steinberg, it is plain that the law provided no protection. o[8Y %3 .'q0*Pe  
To the contrary, by justifying the use of physical force against children as an acceptable method of education and control, the law lent a measure of plausibility and legitimacy to her parents' conduct. Ig S. U >t,BNsWB  
More than 80 years ago, in the teeth of parental resistance and Supreme Court doctrine, the New York State Legislature acted to eliminate child labor law. Now, the state must act to eliminate child abuse by banning corporal punishment. To break the cycle of violence, nothing less will answer. If there is a lesson to be drawn from the death of Elizabeth Steinberg, it is this: spare the rod and spare the child.   ]@ Z j-n8   1{8SKfMdP  
scrNnO[3 j vPn(~d_  
51. The New York State law seems to provide least protection of a child from violent parents of ____________. dD!} P$   ,&;#$ b5  
A. a family on welfare       2j( w*k q~ v:MJF*/  
B. a poor uneducated family VNA VdP F(-Q]xj,  
C. an educated black family         <. RgMPi a3wTcp "r  
D. a middle-class white family $t[`}I } meHAa`  
>fQ -( io Qo !/]\  
52. "Sparing the rod" (in boldface) means ____________. [o\   O^d   b{C3r3B8  
A. spoiling children           S} ZM ;M   R$<LEwjSw  
B. punishing children tAc[r )xFw _yq"F#,*  
C. not caring about children       qdNYY&6>?u sD,[,6(  
D. not beating children P+,\x &Vr f-N:  
X=mzo \Aos em  
53. Corporal punishment against schoolchildren is _____________. _U%!&_ m6   7-"ml\z  
A. taken as illegal in the New York State   x Su g-   uFM]4v3  
B. considered being in the teacher's province P%g [!9 '   k#8,:B2  
C. officially approved by law b~y1'|}g   (c `t'e  
D. disapproved by school teachers   (Lo <3a-]  PK#; \Zw  
"=MR zSke3 t{\FV@R  
54. From the article we can infer that Elizabeth Steinberg is probably the victim of ____________. Xd! =1 :: #%4 -zNS  
A. teachers' corporal punishment       A?06fo,   [:x^ffs  
B. misjudgment of the court ygW, 4Vz7J / vI sX3v  
C. parents' ill-treatment         ~ 3dBt@%0 PiMW 29B^  
D. street violence ~vy _ ~|6s  )_P|_(  
2VyLt=m dh uV r6tb1  
55. The writer of this article thinks that banning corporal punishment will in the long run _____________. ~T7\lJ {%G ^uzJu(  
A. prevent violence of adults <? 5 ,3 `V S) /(~  
B. save more children yeqZPz n   eHCLENLmB  
C. protect children from ill-treatment       by,"Orpwq; _RT3Fk  
D. better the system E#X(0(A ) cXx?MF5  
U@yn%k 9 _T6l* D  
Passage 5 eS{lr 4 -] bce>DLF  
With its common interest in lawbreaking but its immense range of subject-matter and widely-varying methods of treatment, the crime novel could make a legitimate claim to be regarded as a separate branch of literature, or, at least, as a distinct, even though a slightly disreputable, offshoot of the traditional novel. J@Z IW% 5   xS%Z   
The detective story is probably the most respectable (at any rate in the narrow sense of the word) of the crime species. Its creation is often the relaxation of university scholars, literary economists, scientists or even poets. Disastrous deaths may occur more frequently and mysteriously than might be expected in polite society, but the world in which they happen, the village, seaside resort, college or studio, is familiar to us, if not from our own experience, at least in the newspaper or the lives of friends. The characters, though normally realized superficially, are as recognizably human and consistent as our less intimate acquaintances. A story set in a more remote African jungle or Australian bush, ancient China or gas-lit London, appeals to our interest in geography or history, and most detective story writers are conscientious in providing a reasonably true background. The elaborate, carefully-assembled plot, despised by the modern intellectual critics and creators of "significant" novels, has found refuge in the murder mystery, with its sprinkling of clues, its spicing with apparent impossibilities, all with appropriate solutions and explanations at the end. With the guilt of escapism from real life nagging gently, we secretly take delight in the unmasking of evil by a vaguely super-human detective, who sees through and dispels the cloud of suspicion which has hovered so unjustly over the innocent. b :VCr^vp `+_UG^aeW  
Though its villain also receives his rightful deserts, the thriller presents a less comfortable and credible world. The sequence of fist fights, revolver duels, car crashes and escapes from gas-filled cellars exhausts the reader far more than the hero, who, suffering from at least two broken ribs, one black eye, uncountable bruises and a hangover, can still chase and overpower an armed villain with the physique of a wrestler, He moves dangerously through a world of ruthless gangs, brutality, a vicious lust for power and money and, in contrast to the detective tale, with a near-omniscient arch-criminal whose defeat seems almost accidental. Perhaps we miss in the thriller the security of being safely led by our imperturbable investigator past a score of red herrings and blind avenues to a final gathering of suspects when an unchallengeable elucidation of all that has bewildered us is given and justice and goodness prevail. All that we vainly hope for from life is granted vicariously. N N\>(   = .CI { g2  
; cKN5#7 D"^4X'6  
56. The crime novel is regarded by the author as _________________.   2loy4 f %xtTh]s  
A. a not respectable form of the traditional novel ;nS .t_UW. }W{rDc kv  
B. not a true novel at all t @= *k9 GAONgz|ZI  
C. related in some ways to the historical novel K,B qVu   ZUJ !  
D. a distinct branch of the traditional novel zo h%^8? o |~b.rKQt[  
d`eX_]Z   USLG G}R  
57. The creation of detective stories has its origin in _______________. <I 5F @pe' }J27Y ;Zp9  
A. seeking rest from work or worries Yee% <<S (Zi(6 T\z  
B. solving mysterious deaths in this society vz~`M9 ^   Mg? ^5`*  
C. restoring expectations in polite society &m   PR[{  ]~g6#@l  
D. preventing crimes IE*5p6I M~ BdcTKC  
Ny" "lc y zPWX%1Qr  
58. The characters of the detective stories are, generally speaking, _____________. Z~{0x# ?4% qgd#BJ=  
A. more profound than those of the traditional novels CubBD+h l* 8&g|iG  
B. as real as life itself 5M= S7B3= T =r7FU  
C. not like human beings at all 52v@zDY   '=?IVm #C  
D. not very profound but not unlikely ]%<0V,G q x<#Z3Kla  
) A*Sl 2ew PjriAlxD  
59. The setting of the detective stories is sometimes in a more remote place because ___________. [+ N   5 BX :77?9,+  
A. it is more real F/chE c V 9 p6QNDp  
B. our friends are familiar with it oQ_n :<3 X t2Dx$vT*&  
C. it pleases the readers in a way J"O#w BM9 B. Rc s  
D. it needs the readers' support +6v;( ] y 2 2K:[K  
m ca 9 +v e573UB  
60. The writer of this passage thinks _____________. #O .- /&Z 'f0*~Wq|  
A. what people hope for from life can finally be granted if they have confidence 5bzY TK&- 8 x$BbK  
B. people like to feel that justice and goodness will always triumph ^ (0tNX/XD 0{bGVLp  
C. they know in the real world good does not prevail over evil D{, B[ 5 Qhlgu!  
D. their hopes in life can only be fulfilled through fiction reading 7=ZB ;(`L1 ' V";"Ei  
^~ 5tntb. :#8#tLv  
Passage 6 7 9%${ajSI Sc Uh -y_  
Whenever we are involved in a creative type of activity that is self-rewarding, a feeling overcomes us-a feeling that we can call "flow." When we are flowing we lose all sense of time and awareness of what is happening around us; instead, we feel that everything is going just right. _}!Q 4K 2Cd#~  
A rock dancer describes his feeling of flow like this: "If I have enough space, I feel I can radiate an energy into the atmosphere. I can dance for walls, I dance for floors. I become one with the atmosphere." "You are in an ecstatic state to such a point that you don't exist," says a composer, describing how he feels when he "flows." Players of any sport throughout the world are familiar with the feeling of flow; they enjoy their activity very much, even though they can expect little extrinsic reward. The same holds true for surgeons, cave explorers, and mountain climbers. 4: <0i0)5 o~7~S  
Flow provides a sort of physical sensation along with an altered state of being. One man put it this way: "Your body feels good and awake all over. Your energy is flowing." People who flow feel part of this energy; that is, they are so involved in what they are doing that they do not think of themselves as being separate from their activity. They are flowing along with their enjoyment. Moreover, they concentrate intensely on their activity. They do not try to concentrate harder, however; the concentration comes automatically. A chess player compares this concentration to breathing. As they concentrate, these people feel immersed in the action, lost in the action. Their sense of time is altered and they skip meals and sleep without noticing their loss. Sizes and spaces also seem altered: successful baseball players see and hit the ball so much better because it seems larger to them. They can even distinguish the seams on a ball approaching them at 165 kilometers per hour. aX C `yQ? UN{_f)E?  
It seems then that flow is a "floating action" in which the individual is aware of his actions but not aware of his awareness. A good reader is so absorbed in his book that he knows he is turning the pages to go on reading, but he does not notice he is turning these pages. The moment people think about it, flow is destroyed, so they never ask themselves questions such as "Am I doing well?" or "Did everyone see my jump?" 'KQu z)- &|('z\k  
Finally, to flow successfully depends a great deal on the activity itself; not too difficult to produce anxiety, not too easy to bring about boredom; challenging, interesting, fun. Some good examples of flow activities are games and sports, reading, learning, working on what you enjoy, and even day-dreaming. +] ]wf'w   4qq+7B  
FxZ\)Y   2 O\p`,.  
61. What is the main purpose of the article? p[o2 F5 T2 GKf,1kns  
A. to illustrate the feeling of "flow" s{q2C}=$?D h=6Zvf<x  
B. to analyze the causes of a special feeling ,D E%p +q 7{HJjH!zx  
C. to define the new psychological term "flow"   ? B}> [   vto^[a6?  
D. to lead people to acquire the feeling of "flow" T5Fa h#-4 "N'tmzifh  
@! M b PS L\d"|87lX  
62. In this article, "flow" refers to a feeling which probably results from _____________. k U Fl p R2k R   
A. awareness   hnZHu\EJ   ZuIr=`"j  
B. ecstasy qa~[fOR O[ Pg[XIfBva  
C. unconsciousness >H1d9 y +Z ^`ah\L  
D. self-rewarding vy#( |[pL{ o*OYZ/_L  
H1[aNw Lr A[QUFk(  
63. The word "immersed" (in boldface) is closest in meaning to _____________. XbC8t &Q], cVjs-Xf7D%  
A. occupied   4L e 5Ms/ M0[7>N _  
B. engrossed J [ H ?nX9 94bmK V_  
C. soaked   <   k] (s 0BF'@r";  
D. committed )VMB o6: + k}T#-Gb  
2g6_ qsq i W]E6<y'  
64. What does one usually act while "flowing" in reading? !rg0U <bO! b77Iw%x7  
A. thinks what he is doing &ORv bnd6 px6[1'|g  
B. wonders how fast he can read u rXb!e{l J^tLKTB  
C. turns the pages *OOa)P{^D ``*iK  
D. minds the page number KPjqw{gR_R 1<y(8C6  
pm W6~%}*   &''lOS|  
65. The activity which can successfully bring about "flow" is most probably ____________. F 0BOhl K "G. L)oD  
A. gripping   >OKS /(I0 $yG>=G N  
B. difficult g~ N ij~/ ' S%?&4  
C. boring   x yS 2_ Q V$U#'G>m  
D. easy sxN>+v 11z I8*_\Ez  
(5Z8zNH` 3 jK`b6:#(,  
Section B ( 20 minutes, 10 points) k Z + q   xUT]6T0dB  
Direction: In each of the following passages, five sentences have been removed from the original text. They are listed from A to F and put below the passage. Choose the most suitable sentence from the list to fill in each of the blanks (numbered 66 to 75). For each passage, there is one sentence that does not fit in any of the blanks. Mark your answers on your machine scoring Answer Sheet. ( 1kn ): S]_iobWK  
Passage 1   4DQ 0 7w )b^yAzL?  
A history of long and effortless success can be a dreadful handicap, but, if properly handled, it may become a driving force. When the United States entered just such a glowing period after the end of the Second World War, it had a market eight times larger than any competitor, giving its industries unparalleled economies of scale. --- 66 --- America and Americans were prosperous beyond the dreams of the Europeans and Asians whose economies the war had destroyed. v{mv*`~nA\ 9FB k|g"U)  
It was inevitable that this primacy should have narrowed as other countries grew richer. Just as inevitably, the retreat from predominance proved painful. By the mid-1980s Americans had found themselves at a loss over their fading industrial competitiveness. --- 67 --- By 1987 there was only one American television maker left, Zenith. (Now there is none: Zenith was bought by South Korea's LG Electronics in July.) Foreign-made cars and textiles were sweeping into the domestic market. America's machine tool industry was on the ropes. --- 68 --- <_Bq p Z^` # .1+-^TQk  
All of this caused a crisis of confidence. Americans stopped taking prosperity for granted. They began to believe that their way of doing business was failing, and that their incomes would therefore shortly begin to fall as well. --- 69 ---Their sometimes-sensational findings were filled with warnings about the growing competition from overseas. @K,2mhE~h V~nqPh!Jc  
--- 70 ---In 1995 the United States can look back on five years of solid growth while Japan has been struggling. Few Americans attribute this solely to such obvious causes as a devalued dollar or the turning of the business cycle. Self-doubt has yielded to blind pride." American industry has changed its structure, has gone on a diet, has learnt to be more quick-witted," according to Richard Cavanagh, executive dean of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. "It makes me proud to be an American just to see how our businesses are improving their productivity," says Stephen Moore of the Cato Institute, a think-tank in Washington, DC. And William Sahlman of the Harvard Business School believes that people will look back on this period as" a golden age of business management in the United States." k1^ V ?O h- )tWJ c  
~hS .\h /2 V  
A. For a while it looked as though the making of semiconductors, which America had invested and which sat at the heart of the new computer age, was going to be the next casualty. > [Xm | A# tf1iRXf8  
B. Its scientists were the world's best, its workers the most skilled. !d:tIu {) 05o +VF;z  
C. How things have changed! $@_ YdZ !   Er@'X0n  
D. The mid-1980s brought one inquiry after another into the causes of America's industrial decline. slu $2-H ?@n, 9!  
E. Some huge American industries, such as consumer electronics, had shrunk or vanished in the face of foreign competition. S{o@QV bl ScN'|Ia.-  
F. Some of the nation's largest businesses shrink in size when they appear on the government's database of federal contractors. R w UW; hU >;wh0dBe  
;F|jG}M "   L !/Zw~  
Passage 2 Mk<m6E$L )DR/Xu;b  
If sustainable competitive advantage depends on work force skills, American firms have a problem. ---71--- Skill acquisition is considered an individual responsibility. Labor is simply another factor of production to be hired-rented at the lowest possible cost-much as one buys raw materials or equipment. P1$ f }K} d@d\9*mn  
( WJV.GcP1 {,:yZ&(  
The lack of importance attached to human resource management can be seen in the corporate hierarchy. In an American firm the chief financial officer is almost always second in command. ---72--- The executive who holds it is never consulted on major strategic decisions and has no chance to move up to Chief Executive Officer (CEO). By way of contrast, in Japan the head of human resource management is central-usually the second most important executive, after the CEO, in the firm's hierarchy. wt q,`' B   `i~kW  
y ! F:m=x< iX]tL:,~i  
While American firms often talk about the vast amounts spent on training their work forces, in fact they invest less in the skills of their employees than do either Japanese or German firms. ---73---And the limited investments that are made in training workers are also much more narrowly focused on the specific skills necessary to do the next job rather than on the basic background skills that make it possible to absorb new technologies. Bf / |{ @   *;E\,,Io  
'bl%Y) .9w }, eV?eGj  
As a result, problems emerge when new breakthrough technologies arrive. ---74---More time is required before equipment is up and running at capacity, and the need for extensive retraining generates costs and creates bottlenecks that limit the speed with which new equipment can be employed. ---75--- And in the end the skills of the population affect the wages of the top half. If the bottom half can't effectively staff the processes that have to be operated, the management and professional jobs that go with these processes will disappear. \,hrk~4U;( f2*e&+LjTP  
RU7!U   mf $"e$#<g  
A. If American workers for example, take much longer to learn how to operate new flexible manufacturing stations than workers in Germany (as they do), the effective cost of those stations is lower in Germany than it is in the United Stated. C>NQ-w ^   msf%i!  
B. The head of human resource management is one of the most important executives in the firm. >2u y   7XM:4whw  
C. The money they do invest is also more highly concentrated on professional and managerial employees. f Q P, = &9j*Y  
D. Human resource management is not traditionally seen as central to the competitive survival of the firm in the United States. - w\M-wc/$ :{ 8,O-  
E. The post of head of human resource management is usually a specialized job, off at the edge of the corporate hierarchy. yd B$4ZB3[ ,8Eg/  
F. The result is a slower pace of technological change. >< K!~pst} rt8"U <~  
PAPER TWO M7vj^m t?   uT#4"G9A[  
PART V TRANSLATION (30 minutes, 15 points) a*s \Em7f   rq(9w*MW:  
+ 9C;< f s:/Wz39SY3  
Directions: Read the following text carefully and then translate the underlined segments into Chinese. Write your pieces of Chinese version in the proper space on your Answer Sheet II. T . hb#oO 7!;48\O]w  
fh r- Y' .]XB Jc  
There is no greater power in the world today than that wielded by the manipulators of public opinion in America. (1) No king or pope of old, no conquering general or high priest ever disposed of a power even remotely approaching that of the few dozen men who control America's mass news and entertainment media. fv2=B )8 $ >~}}*y p  
(2)Their power is not distant and impersonal; it reaches into every home in America, and it works its will during nearly every waking hour. It is the power which shapes and molds the mind of virtually every citizen, young or old, rich or poor, simple or sophisticated. T>F9Hs   W j|-{*t{/x  
The mass media form for us our image of the world and then tell us what to think about that image. (3)Essentially everything we know-or think we know-about events outside our own neighborhood or circle of acquaintances comes to us via our daily newspaper, our weekly news magazine, our radio, or our television. ? Z X!7^7 xoe/I[P]U  
It is not just the heavy-handed suppression of certain news stories from our newspapers or the blatant propagandizing of history-distorting TV "docudramas" which characterizes the opinion-manipulating techniques of the media masters. They exercise both subtlety and thoroughness in their management of both the news and the entertainment which they present to us. F. T@) 7   z*ly`-!  
For example, the way in which the news is covered: (4)which items are emphasized and which are played down, the reporter's choice of words, tone of voice, and facial expressions; the wording of headlines; the choice of illustrations-all of these things subliminally(浅意识地)and yet profoundly affect the way in which we interpret what we see or hear. &O* ENp F   pr w% )#,  
On top of this, of course, the columnists and editors remove any remaining doubt from our minds as to just what we are to think about it all. (5)Employing carefully developed psychological techniques, they guide our thought and opinion so that we can be in tune with the "in" crowd, the "beautiful people," the "smart money." They let us know exactly what our attitudes should be toward various types of people and behavior by placing those people or that behavior in the context of a TV drama or situation comedy and having the other TV characters react to them in the Politically Correct way. HsH <m j # A#,]XP  
#HG&[ Yw i rnSrkn"j{  
uP 6 -cs   ]^>RBegJBO  
PART VI WRITING (40 minutes, 20 points) e v"M;" y GeFu_7u!|  
Directions: Write an essay of no less than 200 words on the topic given below. Use the proper space on your Answer Sheet II. w [ sR7T9* N2uTWT>  
Topic @H+~ 2;B, k*ZYT6Z?  
Anything that is overdone may bring unwanted results. Addiction to the Internet is of no exception. Discuss the harmful effects on a person's life when he/she is indulged in the Internet.
显示用户信息 
8楼  发表于: 2007-11-19   
我只会这样传,不好意思。希望对你有用
级别: 禁止发言
显示用户信息 
9楼  发表于: 2007-12-05   
我有01-07年电子版的,QQ:281426396
描述
快速回复

验证问题:
免费考博论坛网址是什么? 正确答案:freekaobo.com