显示用户信息 
楼主  发表于: 2015-01-08   
来源于 考博试题 分类

考博英语试题2005年

Therewas no________ but to close the road until February. =$\9t$A  
A.dilemma      B.denying    C.alternative   D.doubt 4.q^r]m*  
32. I_______ when I heard that my grandfather had died. c6MMI]+8  
A.fell           B.fell away   C.fell out      D.fell back B<&g  
33. I’m_____ passing a new law that helps poor children get better medicine. e}TDo`q  
A.taking advantage of               B.standing up for Qv1cf  
C.lookong up to                    D.taking hold of WO[O0!X  
34. In front of the platform, the students were talking with the professor overthe quizzes of their________ subjects. @ [%K D  
A..compulsory      B.compulsive       C.alternative     D.predominants ,7SqR Y,+  
35. The tutor tells the undergraduates that one can acquire ______ in a foreignlanguage through more practice. #E4|@}30`  
A.proficiency       B.efficiency        C.efficacy       D.frequency E>bpq ^;r  
36. The teacher explained the new lesson ______ to the students. oe[f2?-  
A.at random        B.at a loss          C.at length       D.at hand Wn Ng3'6  
37. I shall _____ the loss of my reading-glasses in newspaper with a reward forthe finder. }[SYWJIc  
A.advertise         B.inform           C.announce      D.publish SL?YU(a  
38. The poor nutrition in the early stages of infancy can ____ adult growth. * 5(%'3  
A.degenerate        B.deteriorate        C.boost          D.retard ev1:0P  
39.She had a terrible accident, but ______she wasn’t killed. [rReBgV  
A.at all events       B.in the longrun      C.at large        D.in vain 0t 6DD  
40.his weak chest _____ him to winter illness. =!IoL7x  
A.predicts           B.preoccupies         C.prevails      D.predisposes }N"YlGY\Yn  
Section B ` pfRY!  
41.The company was losing money, so they had to lay off some of its employeesfor three months. 5.QY{ +k  
A.owe            B.dismiss         C.recruit             D.summon zE i\#Zg$  
42.The northy American states agreed to sign the agreement of economical andmilitary union in Ottawa. @]dv   
A.convention       B.conviction      C.contradiction         D,confrontation | cL,$G  
43.The statue would be perfect but for a few small defects in its base. ,91n  
A.faults            B.weaknesses      C.flaws              D.errors 'ji|'x T  
44.When he finally emerged from the cave after thirty days, John wasstartlingly pale. xMFEeSzl>S  
A.amazingly        B.astonishingly       C.uniquely         D.dramatically )a<MW66  
45.If you want to set up a company. You must comply with the regulations laiddown by the authorities. F[>Y8e<[  
A.abide by          B.work out         C.check out          D.succumb to f(T`(pX0V  
46.The school master applauded the girl’s bravery in his opening speech. H/ar: j  
A.praised            B.appraised        C.cheered            D.clapped \f@obp  
47.The local government leader are making every effort to tackle the problem ofpoverty. %]N|?9L"=  
A.abolish             B.address         C.extinguish          D.encounter m+xub*/  
48.This report would be intelligible only to an expert in computing. JthU' "K  
A.intelligent          B.comprehensive   C.competent        D.comprehensible XT1P. w[aA  
49.Reading a book and listening to music simultaneously seems to be no problemfor them. f9vitFkb+  
A.intermittently        B.constantly     C.concurrently        D.continuously T9uOOI  
50.He was given a laptop computer in acknowledgement of his work for thecompany. y:Aha#<  
A.accomplishment       B.recognition     C.apprehension        D.commitment -#,4rN#  
ZP ]Ok  
Part III Cloze (10%)
In Mr.Allen’s high school class, all the students have to “get married”. However, thewedding ceremonies are not real ones but 51 . These mock ceremonies sometimesbecome so 52 that the loud laughter drowns out the voice of the “minister”.Even the two students getting married often begin to giggle. oj@=Cq':-  
   The teacher, Mr. Allen, believes thatmarriage is a difficult and serious business. He wants young people tounderstand that there are many changes that 53  take place after marriage. He believes that the need for thesepsychological and financial 54   shouldbe understood before people marry. Tt4Q|"CJA  
     Mr. Allen doesn’t only introduce hisstudents to major problems 55  in marriage such as illnessor major problems 55  in marriage such as illnessor unemployment, He also exposes them to nitty-gritty problems they will faceever day . He wants to introduce young people to all the trials and 56 that canstrain a marriage to the breaking point. He even 57 this students with the problemsof divorce and fact that divorced men must pay child support money for theirchildren and sometimes pay monthly alimony to their wives. +3Z+#nGtk  
     It has been upsetting for some ofthe students to see the problems that a married couple often faces. 58 theytook the course, they had not worried much about the problems of marriage.However, both students and parents feel that Mr. Allen’s course is valuable andhave  59 the course publicly. Theirstatements and letters supporting the class have,  60  theschool to offer the course again. Y~@(  
51.A. duplications     B.imitations      C.assumptions          D.fantasies JA4}B wn  
52.A. noisy           B.artificial       C.graceful             D.real yJMo/!DZ  
53.A.might           B.would         C.must                D.need <,Mf[R2N>  
54.A.issues           B.adjustments     C.matters              D.expectancies uw(Ml=  
55.A.to face           B.facing         C.having faced         D.faced ,s/laZ)V  
56.A.tribulations        B.errors         C.triumphs            D.verdicts "^wIixOH5  
57.A.informs           B.concerns       C. triumphs           D.associates yw{r:fy  
58.A.Until             B.Before         C.After              D.As l[C_vUg  
59.A.taken             B.suggested       C.endorsed           D.approached gH*(1*  
60.A.confirmed         B.convinced       C.compromised       D.conceived J[c`Qq:&e  
Part IV.  Reading Comprehension (30%) x<PJ5G L  
Passage One LI T`~D  
   Why do people always want to get upand dance when they hear music? The usual explanation is that there issomething embedded in every culture---that dancing is a ‘cultural universal’. Aresearcher in Manchester thinks the impulse may be even more deeply rooted thanthat. He says it may be a reflex reaction. t:b}Mo0  
   NeilTodd, a psychologist at the University of Manchester, told the BA that hefirst got an inkling that biology was the key after watching people dance todeafeningly loud music. ‘There is a compulsion about it’, he says. He reckonedthere might be a more direct, biological, explanation for the desire to dance,so he started to look at the inner ear. @WiTh'w0  
     The human ear has two mainfunctions: hearing and maintaining balance. The standard view is that thesetasks are segregated so that organs for balance, for instance, do not have anacoustic function. But Todd says animal studies have shown that the sacculus,which is part of the balance-----regulating vestibular system, has retainedsome sensitivity to sound . The sacculus is especially sensitive to extremelyloud noise, above 70 decibels.
‘There’sno question that in a contemporary dance environment, the sacculus will bestimulated.’ Says Todd. The average rave, he says, blares music at a painful110 to 140 decibels. But no one really knows what acoustically stimulatedsacculus does. &"7+k5O  
   Todd speculates that listening toextremely loud music is a form of ‘vestibular self-stimulation’ it gives aheightened sensation of motion. ‘We don’t know exactly why it causes pleasure.’he says. ‘But  we know that people go toextraordinary lengths to get it’ He lists bungee jumping, playing on swings oreven rocking to and fro in a rocking chair as other examples of pursuitsdesigned to stimulate the sacculus. PbFbi hg  
  The same pulsing that makes us feel asthough we are moving may make us get up and dance as well, says Todd. Loudmusic sends signals to inner ear which may prompt reflex movement. ‘The typicalpulse rate of dance music is around the rate of locomotion,’ he says. ‘It’squite possible you’re triggering a spinal reflex.’ POf xN.  
61. The passage begins with_______. g!OcWy)7  
A. a new explanation of music          B. a cultural universal questioned Lcf?VV}  
C. a common psychological abnormality  D. a deep insight into human physical movements 9 9^7Ek!z#  
62. What intrigued Todd was_____. 204"\ mv  
A. human instinct reflexes =Aw`0  
B. people’s biological heritages Z[>fFg~N4  
C. people’s compulsion about loud music ')/w+|F  
D. the damages loud music wrecks on human hearing. umCmxm r&  
63.Todd’a biological explanation for the desire to dance refers to______. \fp'=&tp~a  
A.the mechanism of hearing sounds A4Q{(z-?  
B.the response evoked from the sacculus KtArV  
C.the two main functions performed by the human ear \:+ NVIN  
D.the segregation of the hearing and balance maintaining function dI>cPqQ  
64.When the sacculus is acoustically stimulated , according to Todd.____. A[F_x*S  
A.functional balance will be maintained in the ear   B.pleasure will be aroused YMVi7D~;Q$  
C.decibels will shoot up                       D.hearing will occur gtT&97tT<  
65. What is the passage mainly about? *9aI\#}  
A.The human ear does more than hearing than expected. v=Q!i oE7  
B.Dancing is capable of heightening the sensation of hearing. Z?V vFEt%  
C.Loud music stinulates the inner ear and generates the urge to dance. z, FPhbFn  
D.The human inner ear does more to help hear than to help maintain balance. ~z")';I|  
Passage Two <N>7.G  
Have you switched off your computer? How about your television? Your video?Your CD player? And even your coffee percolator? Really switched them off, notjust pressed the button on some control panel and left your machine with atelltale bright red light warning you that it is ready to jump back to life atyour command? A.h0H]*Ma  
Because if you haven’t, you are one of the guilty people who are helping topollute the planed. It doesn’t matter if you’ve joined the neighborhoodrecycling scheme, conscientiously sorted your garbage and avoided driving towork. You still can’t sleep easy while just one of those little red lights isglowing in the dark. rhZ p  
The awful truth is that household and office electrical appliances left onstand-by mode are gobbling up energy, even though they are doing absolutelynothing. Some electronic products ------such as CD players -------can usealmost as much energy on stand-by as they do when running. Others may use a lotless, but as your video player spends far more hours on stand-by than playinganything, the wastage soon adds up. u%Mo.<P I  
In the US alone, idle electronic devices consume enough energy to power citieswith the energy needs of Chicago or London---costing consumers around $1billion a year. Power stations fill the atmosphere with carbon dioxide just todo absolutely nothing. m(D-?mhL  
Thoughtless design is partly responsible for the waste. But manufacturers onlyget away with designing products that waste energy this way because consumersare not sensitive enough to the issue. Indeed, while recycling has caught thepublic imagination, reducing waste has attracted much less attention. IiJ$Ng  
   But “source reduction”, as the garbageexperts like to call the art of not using what you don’t need to use, offersenormous potential for reducing waste of all kinds. With a little intelligentshopping, you can cut waste long before you reach the end of the chain. 3to!C"~\K-  
Packaging remains the big villain. One of the hidden consequences of buyingproducts grown or made all around the world, rather than produced locally, isthe huge amount of  packaging needed totransport them safety. In the US, a third of the solid waste collected fromcity homes is packaging. To help cut the waste and encourage intelligentmanufactures the simplest trick is to to look for ultra-light packaging. ,X;$-.  
The same arguments apply to the very light but strong plastic bottles that arereplacing heavier glass alternatives, thin-walled aluminum cans, and cartonsmade of composites that wrap up anything drinkable in an ultra-light package. Db;>MWt+e  
There are hundreds of other tricks you can discuss with colleagues whilegathering around the proverbial water cooler--- filling up, naturally, your ownmug rather than a disposable plastic cup. But you don’t need to go as far asone website which tells you how to give your friends unwrapped Christmaspresents. There are limits to source correctness. U#Iwe=  
66.From the first two paragraphs, the author implies that____ dBS_N/  
A        hitech has made life easy everywhere G9GHBwT  
B        B .nobody seems to be innocent in pollutingthe planet s^4wn:*$zd  
C        C. recycling can potentially controlenvironmental deterioration +5 gX6V\  
D        Everybody is joining the global battleagainst pollution in one way or another. ] w0Y5H "  
67. The waste caused by household and office electrical appliances on stand-bymode seems to ___. Y3s8@0b3  
A. be a long-standing indoor problem     B. cause nothing but trouble (`4&Y-  
C. get exaggerated                     D.go unnoticed xg8R>j  
68. By idle electronic devices, the author means those appliances___ qnnRS  
A. left on stand-by mode [_(uz,'  
B. filling the atmosphere with carbon dioxide % 4t?X  
C. used by those who are not energy conscious QDVSFGwr  
D. used by those whose words speak louder than actions ~4O3~Y_+GN  
69. Ultra-light packaging________. SuNc&e#(  
A. is expected to reduce American waste by one-third. Fy!s$!\C0  
B, is an illustration of what is called “source reduction” TTbJ9O<43  
C. can make both manufacturers and consumers intelligent cIC/3g}]  
D. is a villain of what the garbage experts call “source reduction” qh&q <M  
70. The conclusion the author is trying to draw is that__________. r dtzz#7  
A. One person cannot win the battle against pollution g1_z=(i`Z  
B. anybody can pick up tricks of environmental protection on the web ]YfG`0eK<  
C. nobody can be absolutely right in all the tricks of environmental protection #$L/pRC  
D. anybody can present or learn a trick of cutting down what is not needed. .*xO/pn  
71.Schallert issued a warning to those who__________. qm'@o -[  
A.believe in the possibility of rewiring the brain 9`5.0**  
B are ignorant of physiotherapy in the clinic A7&/3C6{H  
C.add exercise to partially paralyzed limbs "Mv^S'?>  
D.are on the verge of a stroke ?I:_FT  
72.which of the following is Schallert’s hypothesis for his investigation? .sOZ"=tW  
A.Earlier intervention should lead to even more dramatic improvements. g\?07@Zd|  
B.The critical period for brain damage is one week after injury G`&P|xYg  
C.A partially paralyzed limb can cause brain damages ;-l^X%r  
D.physiotherapy is the key to brain recovery }H saJ=1U  
73. The results from Schallert’s research________. 4 >H0a  
A.reinforced the significance of physiotherapy after a stroke =CS$c?  
B.indicated the fault with his experiment design ,KF>@3f  
C.turned out the opposite zlTLp-^Y  
Dverified his hypothesis zQt)>Qx_  
74.The results made Schallert’s team aware of the fact that_______. -*Qg^1]i+  
A.glutamate can have toxic effects on healthy nerve sells ,?Vxcr  
B.exercise can boost the release of glutamate 45iO2W uur  
C.glutamate is a neurotransmitter yp@cn(:~  
D.all of the above 9$ VdYw7D  
75.Schallert would probably advise clinicians________. V~5vR`}  
A.to administer drugs to block the effects of glutamate. 7~ZG"^k  
B.to be watchful of the amount of exercise for stroke victims kkj@!1q(wO  
C.to prescribe vigorous exercise to stroke victims one week after injury #)#'^MZX  
D.to reconsider the significance of physiotherapy to brain damage HM"(cB(n`  
Passage Four ^YfAsBs&  
Our understanding of cities in anything more than casual terms usually startswith observations of their spatial form and structure at some point orcross-section in time. This is the easiest way to begin, for it is hard toassemble data on how cities change through time, and in any case, ourperceptions often betray us into thinking of spatial structures as beingresilient and long lasting. Even where physical change is very rapid, this onlyhas an impact on us when we visit such places infrequently, after years away.Most of our urban theory, whether it emanates from the social sciences orengineering, is structured around the notion that spatial and spatial andsocial structures changes slowly, and are sufficiently inert for us to inferreasonable explanations from cross-sectional studies. In recent years, theseassumptions have come to be challenged, and in previous editorials I haveargued the need for a more temporal emphasis to our theories and models, wherethe emphasis is no longer on equilibrium but on the intrinsic dynamics of urbanchange. Even these views, however, imply a conventional wisdom where the realfocus of urban studies is on processes that lead to comparatively slow changesin urban organization, where the functions determining such change are verylargely routine, accomplished over months or years, rather than any lessercycle of time. There is a tacit assumption that longer term change subsumesroutine change on a day-to day or hour-basis, which is seen as simplysupporting the fixed spatial infrastructures that we perceive cities to bebuilt around. Transportation modeling, for example, is fashioned from thisstandpoint in that routine trip-making behavior is the focus of study, itsexplanation being central to the notion that spatial structures are inert andlong lasting. Z/v )^VR  
76.We, according to the passage, tend to observe cities. C:bA:O  
A.chronologically             B.longitudinally XRyeEwA;pp  
C. sporadically                 D.horizontally 3W.D^^)eCV  
77. We think about a city as ______. W=|'&UU Ul  
A. a spatial event                      B. a symbolical world 0tMzVx S  
C. a social environment                D. an interrelated system L;b-=mF  
78. Cross-sectional studies show that cities ________. I/v#!`L  
A. are structured in three dimensions        B. are transformed rapidly in any aspect _nw\ac#*  
C. are resilient and long lasting through time  D. change slowly in spatial and social structures m5KLi &R  
79. The author is drawing our attention to_______. lb"T'} q  
A.the equilibrium of urban spatial structures   B. the intrinsic dynamics of urban change [!ZYtp?Hf  
C.the fixed spatial infrastructure             D. all of the above ~IQjQz?  
80. The conventional notion, the author contends,_________. =aehhs>  
A. presents the inherent nature of a city       B.underlies the fixed spatial infrastructures v57Kr ,  
C.places an emphasis on lesser cycles of time  D. hinders the physical change of urban structure MU N:}S  
nXxnyom,  
Passage Five yG>sBc  
When it is sunny in June, my father gets in his first cutting of hay. He startson the creek meadows, which are flat, sandy, and hot. They are his driest land.This year, vacationing from my medical practice, I returned to Vermont to helphim with the haying. o9v9 bL+X  
The heft of a bale(大捆)through my leather gloves is familiar: the tautness of the twine,the heave of the bale, the sweat rivers that run through the hay chaff on myarms. This work has the smell of sweet grass and breeze. I walk behind the chugand clack of baler, moving the bales into piles so my brother can do the realwork of picking them up later. As hot as the air is, my face is hotter. I amsurprised at how soon I get tired. I take a break and sit in the shade,watching my father bale, trying not to think about how old he is, how the heataffects his heart, what might happen. I&x69  
This is not my usual work, of course. My usual work is to sit with patients andlisten to them. Occasionally I touch them, and am glad that my hands are soft.I don’t think my patients would like farmer callouses and dirty hands on theirtender spots. Reluctantly I feel for lumps in breasts and testicles, hiddenswellings of organs and joints, and probe all the painful places in mypatients’ lives. There are many. Perhaps I am too soft, could stand callousesof a different sort. -r0oO~ KT  
I feel heavy after a day’s work, as if all my patients were inside me, lettingme carry them, I don’t mean to. But where do I put their stories? The childhoodbeatings, ulcers from stress, incapacitating depression, fears, illness? Theseare not my experiences, yet I feel them and carry them with me. Try to findhealthier meanings, I spent the week before vacation crying. xlW>3'uHfa  
The hay field is getting organized. Piles of three and four bales are scatteredaround the field. They will be easy to pick up. Dad climbs, tired and lame,from the tractor. I hand him a jar of ice water, and he looks with satisfactionon his job just done. I’ll stack a few more bales and maybe drive the truck formy brother. My father will have some appreciative customers this winter, as hesells his bales of hay. lPlJL`e  
I’ve needed to feel this heaviness in my muscles, the heat on my face. I antaunted by the simplicity of this work, the purpose and results, the definiteboundaries of the fields, the dimensions of the bales, for illness is notdefined by the boundaries of bodies; it spills into families, homes, schoolsand my office, like hay tumbling over the edge of the cutter bar. I feel therough stubble left in its wake. I need to remember the stories I’ve helpedreshape, new meanings stacked against the despair of pain. I need to rememberthe smell of hay in June. uuCVI2|  
81. Which of the following is NOT true according to the story? M49Hm[0(  
A. The muscular work in the field has an emotional impact on the narrator. b1ZHfe:  
B. The narrator gets tired easily working in the field. CR|>?9V  
C. It is the first time for the narrator to do haying. O}7aX '  
D. The narrator is as physician. `k08M)  
82. In retrospection, the narrator___________. MpJx>0j/J  
A. feels guilty before his father and brother bW'Y8ok[v  
B. defends his soft hands in a meaningful way -%t8a42  
C. hates losing his muscular power before he knows it B#4 J![BX  
D. is shamed for the farmer callouses he does not possess ;[Hrpl S  
83. As a physician, the narrator is ________. Q@UY4gA '  
A. empathic      B. arrogant        C. callous         D. fragile %E2C4UbY  
84. His associations punctuate___________. <^8OYnp  
A. the similarities between medicine and agriculture   B. the simplicity of muscular work ]O+Nl5*  
C. the hardship of life every where                  D .the nature of medicalpractice It^_?oiK  
85. The narrator would say that________. ;nf}O87~  
A. it can do physicians good to spend a vacation doing muscular work ?T_hK  
B. everything is interlinked and anything can be anything WJ]g7!Ks  
C. he is a shame to his father w;^7FuBa C  
D. his trip is worth it. 5{8,+ Z  
UgLJV2M6  
Passage Six s-xby~  
Everyone has seen it happen. A colleague who has been excited, involved, andproductive slowly begins to pull back, lose energy and interest, and becomes ashadow or his or her former self. Or , a person who has been  an beacon of visionand idealism retreats into  despair orcynicism. What happened? How does someone who is capable and committed become aperson who functions minimally and does not seem to care for the job or thepeople that work there? 9'JkLgz;d+  
  Burnout is a chronic state of depletedenergy, lack of commitment and involvement, and continual frustration, oftenaccompanied at work by physical symptoms, disability claims and performanceproblem. Job burnout is a crisis of spirit, when work that was once excitingand meaningful becomes deadening .And organization‘s most valuable resource------the energy, dedication and creativity of its employees----is oftensquandered by a climate that limits or frustrates the pool of talent and energyavailable. ymyk.#Z<%  
Milder forms of burnout are a problem at every level in every type of work. Theburned—out manager comes to work, but he brings a shell rather than a person.He experiences little satisfaction, and feels uninvolved, detached, anduncommitted to his work and co-worker .While he may be effective by externalstandards, he works far below his own level of productivity. The people aroundhim are deeply affected by his attitude and energy level, and the wholecommunity begins to suffer. pJwy ~ L  
Burnout is a crisis of the spirit because people who burn out were once onfire. It’s especially scary                 some of the most talented. If they can’t maintain their fire, othersask. /ec~^S8X  
Who can? Are these people lost forever, or can the inner flame be rekindled?People often feel that burnout just comes upon them and that they are helplessvictims of it. Actually, the evidence is growing that there were ways forindividuals to safeguard and renew their spirit, and , more important, thereare ways for organizations to change conditions that lead to burnout.
86. The passagebegins with_______. I~Z m**L  
A. a personal transition                B.a contrast between two types of people  3Kum  
C. a shift from conformity to individuality D.a mysterious physical and mental state $d7{q3K&1  
87.Which of the following is related with the crisis of spirit? r.zJ/Tk  
A.Emotional exhaustion.               B.Depersonalization \t@|-`  
C.Reduced personal accomplishment.     D.All of the above. n?A;'\cK  
88. Job burnout is a crisis of spirit, which will result in_______. ,cFp5tV$  
A.apersonal problem               B.diminished productivity u8@>ThPD  
C.an economic crisis in a county      D.a failure to establish a pool of talent and energy P(Hh%9'(  
89. Burnout can be________. bpe WK&  
A.fatal         B.static         C.infectious    D.permanent \Tj(]  
90.Those  who  are burned-our, according to the passage, arepotentially able________. :dzam HbX9  
A.to find a quick fix             B.torestore what they have lost _&m   
C.to be aware of their status quo   D. tochallenge their organization
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水

描述
快速回复